My 1st 1911 9mm or 45acp

DUKETN

With respect to the purists above, and posting as a 1911 collector (Vintage 1911 Collector's Association Member #44), I disagree with the notion that your first 1911 needs to be a USGI base model. With an $1800 budget, you don't need to hobble yourself with the Great Granddaddy warhorse that has since been improved several generations hence. It is a testimony to the 1911's design that, over a century after its introduction (at the dawn of semiautomatic handguns, no less), it has been able to be refined and improved to be a viable contender with cutting-edge modern designs using engineering methods, CNC milling, metals, and synthetic materials that hadn't even been dreamed of let alone implemented when John Moses Browning blessed us with the 1911.

As a modern handgun shooter, you may in fact be somewhat soured on the 1911 platform by the original's small beavertail, lack of trigger finger and grip scalloping, lack of checkering on the straps, lack of an accessory rail, poor irreplaceable sights, lesser slide serrations, and/or many of the other features that have since been greatly improved as semiauto experience and engineering have marched forward. There's absolutely no good reason to start there. Once you love the platform, expand backwards and pick up something original.

I own Colts ranging from the pre-1911 1903 Pocket Hammerless, to US Property-marked 1911's and 1911A1's from both World Wars, to some of their most desirable offerings from the postwar era through the 1980's. As a bona-fide Colt collector, I urge you not to select a modern Colt. The company went tragically downhill since the mid-1980's and especially beginning in the late '90's, Colt's modern semiautmatic offerings have suffered from poor quality control, poor material quality, and poor fitment/assembly. They have recently scored a big turnaround with their modern revolver redesigns, but that has not translated to their semiautomatics. This may change with CZ's takeover of Colt.

As a retail gunsmith, I have a unique perspective on firearms quality - I get to see what comes across my counter for repair. A higher incidence of Colt 1911-pattern guns since about 2000 have had cracked frames, cycling and feed issues from the factory, poor accuracy compared to similar-priced guns, and other issues including fundamental fitment deficiencies affecting reliability, accuracy or ease of use. While they don't descend to the level of "lemons," the defect rate is out of all proportion to their cost.

Get yourself a railed Sig 1911, black FDE or stainless as you prefer (the stainless is exceptionally good). Excellent in the hand, great modern features without going too far astray of what a 1911 is, accurate, and fantastic factory quality including especially, fitment. You won't spend anywhere near your budget, leaving you room for ammo and accessories. You'll have enough of a baseline to help you determine whether you like the platform or not, and you will not have "wasted" a slot on the notion that well, that wasn't the best of what the 1911 has to offer. Imagine putting $600 into a Rock Island (great guns by the way, especially at the price), not liking the clunky old design, and then having strangers chime in, "well they make better ones, you should give it a fair chance and buy a good modern one, you can't compare the old 1911 to modern guns."

If you don't like Sig, get a Springfield TRP or one of the varios Operators, Smith Performance Center, or Rock Island Tac Standard. But whatever you do, get it in .45 so you can understand what the gun can really do. The big holes are fun, and you owe yourself the understanding of what the "push" of a .45's recoil feels like in a big handgun compared to the "snap" of a 9mm.

Edited by DocHawk
  • Like 5

Just my $0.02. Unless power factor is a consideration the chambering doesn't matter much beyond which make/models you may choose from. 1911s with the single stack design are all going to be low capacity by today's standards regardless of chambering. That you are already leaning toward 9mm, were I in your position with your goal and stated budget, I would pass on a 1911 altogether and save up a little longer to get onto the 2011 platform.

I'd echo DocHawk's sentiment for Sig 1911s, the ones I've shot have all been of excellent quality.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 7:28 AM, DocHawk said:

With respect to the purists above, and posting as a 1911 collector (Vintage 1911 Collector's Association Member #44), I disagree with the notion that your first 1911 needs to be a USGI base model. With an $1800 budget, you don't need to hobble yourself with the Great Granddaddy warhorse that has since been improved several generations hence. It is a testimony to the 1911's design that, over a century after its introduction (at the dawn of semiautomatic handguns, no less), it has been able to be refined and improved to be a viable contender with cutting-edge modern designs using engineering methods, CNC milling, metals, and synthetic materials that hadn't even been dreamed of let alone implemented when John Moses Browning blessed us with the 1911.

As a modern handgun shooter, you may in fact be somewhat soured on the 1911 platform by the original's small beavertail, lack of trigger finger and grip scalloping, lack of checkering on the straps, lack of an accessory rail, poor irreplaceable sights, lesser slide serrations, and/or many of the other features that have since been greatly improved as semiauto experience and engineering have marched forward. There's absolutely no good reason to start there. Once you love the platform, expand backwards and pick up something original.

I own Colts ranging from the pre-1911 1903 Pocket Hammerless, to US Property-marked 1911's and 1911A1's from both World Wars, to some of their most desirable offerings from the postwar era through the 1980's. As a bona-fide Colt collector, I urge you not to select a modern Colt. The company went tragically downhill since the mid-1980's and especially beginning in the late '90's, Colt's modern semiautmatic offerings have suffered from poor quality control, poor material quality, and poor fitment/assembly. They have recently scored a big turnaround with their modern revolver redesigns, but that has not translated to their semiautomatics. This may change with CZ's takeover of Colt.

As a retail gunsmith, I have a unique perspective on firearms quality - I get to see what comes across my counter for repair. A higher incidence of Colt 1911-pattern guns since about 2000 have had cracked frames, cycling and feed issues from the factory, poor accuracy compared to similar-priced guns, and other issues including fundamental fitment deficiencies affecting reliability, accuracy or ease of use. While they don't descend to the level of "lemons," the defect rate is out of all proportion to their cost.

Get yourself a railed Sig 1911, black FDE or stainless as you prefer (the stainless is exceptionally good). Excellent in the hand, great modern features without going too far astray of what a 1911 is, accurate, and fantastic factory quality including especially, fitment. You won't spend anywhere near your budget, leaving you room for ammo and accessories. You'll have enough of a baseline to help you determine whether you like the platform or not, and you will not have "wasted" a slot on the notion that well, that wasn't the best of what the 1911 has to offer. Imagine putting $600 into a Rock Island (great guns by the way, especially at the price), not liking the clunky old design, and then having strangers chime in, "well they make better ones, you should give it a fair chance and buy a good modern one, you can't compare the old 1911 to modern guns."

If you don't like Sig, get a Springfield TRP or one of the varios Operators, Smith Performance Center, or Rock Island Tac Standard. But whatever you do, get it in .45 so you can understand what the gun can really do. The big holes are fun, and you owe yourself the understanding of what the "push" of a .45's recoil feels like in a big handgun compared to the "snap" of a 9mm.

Very informative post. 100% agree

First time picking up a SIG 1911 fell in love with it. Served well. Eventually picked up one of their higher end models. Both very nice guns

• Like 1

1911s in .45 are more likely to run out of the box, but they are more expensive to shoot.    In 9mm, they tend to be improperly setup out of the box (depending on manufacturer) but cheaper and more pleasant to shoot.

Springfields in particular often require some spring swapping and tweaking to run reliably, but the good news is these are cheap and easy things to fix.

I suppose it also depends upon what you what the 1911 to do?  Are you shooting competitively, or just plinking steel? Do you need tight groups, or just want to hit the steel?  I love my GI style 1911 in .45 and it shoots great. It is fairly accurate for it construction.  I do wish it has a dovetail front sight. If I were to get another, it will probably be a step up to include better sights. Other than that, it’s love it for what it is.  

I would probably go with the 9mm if it’s going to be a range gun and 45acp if it’s going to be a carry gun.  The recoil from an all steel government 45acp model isn’t bad at all but it does cost a few dollars more on a box of 50.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...