Tennessee’s ban on 18-20 year olds obtaining handgun permits declared unconstitutional.

2 hours ago, billmeek said:

Watch as when 18-20 year olds can get a carry permit in TN, some other states will not allow reciprocity with TN permits.

We have had 18 year olds with permits since 2014, just had to be active military.  Any reciprocity we would loose was lost then. Check out the list from Department of safety, you see those states that do and those who do not, we will not lose a single state.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/safety/documents/handgun/Reciprocity_August_2022.pdf

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, chances R said:

Unconstitutional in one state would eventually mean all states....need to have some added privilege to the ECP hoping to encourage training to those that understand the need for it.

Exactly, if they want to continue to make money off their citizens they need to make enhanced, enhanced.

Notice the "Scheme" AG Skrmetti agreed that was unconstitutional was under the 2nd and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, not just the bad laws in Tennessee's TCA or it's Declaration of Rights.  Basically he is saying the second part of Article 1 Section 26 is void, where is says the legislature shall have power by law to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Get ready for that to fall as well.

At 18 most young adult’s brains are still developing and maturing. Along with being taught how to use a weapon of war by the military, one is taught discipline, proper usage of the weapon, and weapon safety as well as personal responsibility and group responsibility. I have no problem with an 18 year old member of the armed forces have the right to carry. 

But many 18 year olds with out this supervision and training have no business carrying a firearm. Most lack the maturity to understand what they are doing. 

An example is the kid 18yo Senior at FRA in Nashville who, while riding with his GF, brandished a pistol at a young lady who brake-checked them for tailgating. He was kicked out of the school and faces felony charges. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

An example is the kid 18yo Senior at FRA in Nashville who, while riding with his GF, brandished a pistol at a young lady who brake-checked them for tailgating. He was kicked out of the school and faces felony charges. 

In this case, stupidity has no age restriction.  Plenty of older adults do the same thing everyday, one of the reasons I support training/education.  And yes, it is a felony, and financially devastating.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, chances R said:

In this case, stupidity has no age restriction.  Plenty of older adults do the same thing everyday, one of the reasons I support training/education.  And yes, it is a felony, and financially devastating.

True, stupidity knows no bounds.  But maybe if he had been 21, and out of college, he would have made a better choice. 

2 hours ago, Snaveba said:

At 18 most young adult’s brains are still developing and maturing. Along with being taught how to use a weapon of war by the military, one is taught discipline, proper usage of the weapon, and weapon safety as well as personal responsibility and group responsibility. I have no problem with an 18 year old member of the armed forces have the right to carry. 

But many 18 year olds with out this supervision and training have no business carrying a firearm. Most lack the maturity to understand what they are doing. 

Are military allowed to carry weapons at will?  No they are sheparded and controlled.

I remember my grandfather lied about his age and joined the military early, at 16.  Served 20 years in the Marines.  Maybe the Constitution has it right and society has allowed it to go wrong.

• Like 1

Therein is the essence of the issue. If we have a functioning definition of an adult, the age of emancipation, draft age, and age of criminal liability, then all the rights, privileges and protections of adult citizenship should thence apply. If we say yeah but not these rights or those rights and cite maturity, then we need to recalibrate the society's definition of the age of majority for all things.

My son is 50 days away from 18. He is a better marksman than most LE and military, and better at actually fighting his handgun than most gun owners. At the age of 10, his *younger* brother beat 44 adults including SWAT, Recon Marines, Sheriff Deputies and several veterans in a man-on-man hostage rescue competition. Hostage rescue shot from concealment followed by cleanup of two more aggressors. Smoked 'em. Give either boy a scenario, and you'll be amazed at their situational awareness and self defense methodology. Hopefully they are never in fear for their lives, but they've trained for a very bad day to survive physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

On the other hand, some of their classmates are eating Tide Pods. So yeah, it's a struggle.

• Like 4
On 1/26/2023 at 6:56 PM, Dylan said:

Is it effective immediately? Can I apply for a permit right now?

No, Court ordered State to comply within 90 days. 

Department of Safety (Bureaucracy charged statutorily with keeping our roads safe but who now lobbies against your rights using your tax dollars to do so, and is responsible for administering the permit system) will drag its feet as long as possible.  Their history is to never give back the rights to arms the General Assembly took from the People in 1801.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Worriedman said:

Department of Safety (Bureaucracy charged statutorily with keeping our roads safe but who now lobbies against your rights using your tax dollars to do so, and is responsible for administering the permit system) will drag its feet as long as possible.  Their history is to never give back the rights to arms the General Assembly took from the People in 1801.

Welp, ordered a holster and an EDC belt anyway. Gives me some time to get some training drawing from inside the waistband while I wait for the state to recognize my rights.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, Worriedman said:

Hey, is there a way I can track the status of this? I've been periodically checking for updates and all I can find is articles on the court order itself from when it was announced.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:35 PM, Dylan said:

Hey, is there a way I can track the status of this? I've been periodically checking for updates and all I can find is articles on the court order itself from when it was announced.

I have to keep calling my Attorney buds, they have software that can get the updates, it is still about 18 days out I think.

• Like 2