M1A ammo selection. Which bullet weight has given you the best performance?

I picked up a standard M1A from a forum member recently. I have a handful of bolt action rifles in 7.62x51 but this is my first semi in that caliber.

I don't expect to be a "thousand yard shooter" but it would be nice to reach out past 350 on occasion.

I've read opinions endorsing everything from 110gr through 180gr. More than one person has implied that going over 165gr gets hard on the gas operated system without changes in gas porting.

I'd prefer not to have to change any parts or risk rifle damage, so I doubt I'd regularly use the heaviest rounds.

So, I'm probably going to run a series of 147 & 165gr rounds from various manufacturers through it for evaluation.

Just thought I'd see what you fellas have come up with.

Thanks.

Jay

Edited by jaytex1969
(some images removed due to forum upload limitations)

The 147 gr FMJ is the standard military loading. Most rifles do well with this load and some rifles can be very accurate with it. There's still some Mil-surp stuff out there. I've had good results with South African, Radway Green and Australian ammo. Avoid that Indian crap like the plague. 💩 

The majority of target loads use a 168 gr bullet with the Sierra BTHP being the accuracy standard. Federal specifically loads their Match ammo with the Sierra bullet rather than one of their own. 

I don't suggest using anything lighter and certainly nothing heavier in the M1A. Heavier bullets can lead to bent operating rods. 

Simply put, you need to try different loads to see what your rifle likes. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I own a number of Garands and match graded m1a’s.  The M1A is suppose to be a 1000 yard rifle.  Never tried that distance as no range around Knoxville has a 1000 yard range that I know of.

If you want to shoot that distance then look at the 27 caliper or 6.5mm.  They will outshoot the M1A.

If your looking for match bullets For the M1A, I have an ammo can full of military 168 grain match bullets.  I can sell you a few hundred at a good price if your in Knoxvillle.

• Like 1