TICS Denial

LovelyRN20

Hi all! If I’ve placed this in the wrong place please feel free to move it. I am new here. My name is Miranda and I am a 35yo single mom and registered nurse for the state of TN. I grew up shooting guns and I have possessed a couple but I had never gone to the store to buy my own. After having some things come up missing around my house and some weird occurrences I decided to put up some cameras and also go buy a handgun for self defense just in case whoever’s been slinking around my house decides to come in and get violent. I also scheduled a class at a range. I spent over a month researching and looking at guns. I finally found the one I felt was perfect for me and the local FFL ordered it for me. I went to pick it up Tuesday and almost immediately after the 4473 was sent in I was denied. The lady showed me the “denied” on the screen. I was shocked!!!! Like WTH! I’ve been background checked 10 ways to sunday for my nursing license and state job. I know that I had some run ins with the law when I was younger but absolutely nothing that would make me a prohibited person. I have no felonies, no misdemeanor violence or drug charges, no protection orders, no dui’s, no public intoxications, no open cases, I’ve never been in rehab or a mental institution (I work in one for heaven’s sake)! I even pulled my own Toris report and called my local sheriff’s office to be absolutely sure. The FFL sent in the appeal right then because they also know that I work for the state and thought it was weird. I have never been so embarrassed in my life!! It’s really not a good feeling!! And the waiting is so stressful. I’ve read a lot of the threads here about false denials and they’ve helped me to relax some but I also just needed to vent to people that I knew would understand! Thanks!

They sometimes deny if your full name might be close to someone who may have already been in the system. It happened to me once about 5yrs ago and was over turned on the fowling Monday. As long as you don't have any felonies you should be fine, just wait and see what happens. Welcome to the forum 

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, JustEd said:

I think sometimes the govt just enjoys making things difficult for us 

Made a purchase yesterday and had to resign the 4473 and make sure that my signature was completely legible. I'm no doctor, but I write like one.  The clerk said that the ATF had been coming down on them for signatures not being legible.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

🙂 Thanks for all the kind words!! I knew you guys would get it!  It was overturned today!! I actually called (even though I know they aren’t supposed to tell me anything!) and got this really sweet woman. I told her I’d pulled my own Toris and there was nothing that should prohibit me. She asked what I saw and I told her. She was like “oh yea, that’s the problem!” It was a misdemeanor (and not one that would prohibit me) but had no outcome attached apparently. She told me to send copies of the judgement and stuff. But before I could even get to the courthouse it was already overturned and the FFL was calling me!! I have to wonder how many people get denied over things that aren’t a prohibitor and just give up because of the embarrassment and hassle! The FFL said it happens a lot! 
I’m glad to be here and thanks for being so kind!! 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, LovelyRN20 said:

🙂 Thanks for all the kind words!! I knew you guys would get it!  It was overturned today!! I actually called (even though I know they aren’t supposed to tell me anything!) and got this really sweet woman. I told her I’d pulled my own Toris and there was nothing that should prohibit me. She asked what I saw and I told her. She was like “oh yea, that’s the problem!” It was a misdemeanor (and not one that would prohibit me) but had no outcome attached apparently. She told me to send copies of the judgement and stuff. But before I could even get to the courthouse it was already overturned and the FFL was calling me!! I have to wonder how many people get denied over things that aren’t a prohibitor and just give up because of the embarrassment and hassle! The FFL said it happens a lot! 
I’m glad to be here and thanks for being so kind!! 

I love a happy ending! 🙂

Now, what did you purchase? We all want to know! 😆

• Like 2

With all that's going on with the Pistol Brace and everything else with the Gun Industry it's no surprise that they have stepped up the denial process. I was on another site I belong to and there were several discussions on them stepping up on denials. Glad you got approved, now find a good range and stsrt shooting.

• Like 1

I had a good friend up in Missouri that always got denied. Every single time. They said he had a police record. Of course he had a police record. He was a retired cop!  Just goes to show you how messed up the system is. 🙄

Glad you got it worked out. I hope you'll hang around and join in the craziness around here. We can always use a lady's point of view. 😉

• Like 1

I got denied once because a guy in Oregon had my last name and a social that was 2 digits different than mine and had been arrested for a felony. It got overturned on appeal. Since my last name is Smith, I put my social on every 4473.

I can tell you that a lot of denials I saw working in a gun store were because of clerical issues. Cases where local charges or complaints had been filed with the feds, but when the local charges/complaints were dropped or cleared, the state didn't file the disposition to the feds. The feds will still show a pending charge/complaint and thus the denial. The state has to file charges with the feds but are not required to file a disposition if cleared. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a member of the “gun-a-month” club for more than a few decades.  I usually find the best deal I can online and just have the nearest FFL to where I’m likely going to be that day receive for me.  Since late summer of  ‘22 I can’t seem to be in line in a single store and not see this happening to someone.  The system has never been more automated with most stores using laptops for forms & having excellent guidance from staff.  I can’t escape the feeling this is systematically “baked-in” at this point. Very happy you didn’t give up- I think we’re entering an era where we all have to push past inconvenience to enjoy our rights and freedoms.

• Like 1
On 2/3/2023 at 10:24 PM, Moped said:

I love a happy ending! 🙂

Now, what did you purchase? We all want to know! 😆

(I swear I answered this earlier but I can’t find the post so excuse me if I am repeating myself.) lol I bought the Smith and Wesson Equalizer. I hate the name but I love the gun. It’s easy shooting, handling/manipulating, it fits perfect in my hand, and has extended magazines!! 😍

• Like 1

1 Welcome to TGO.

2 Glad you got everything resolved. I've never had a denial. I'd probably just freak out if I did.

3 Looking at the Equalizer as a possible for my retired ex-nurse wife. I'll show her your comments. It might help her to decide.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hipower said:

1 Welcome to TGO.

2 Glad you got everything resolved. I've never had a denial. I'd probably just freak out if I did.

3 Looking at the Equalizer as a possible for my retired ex-nurse wife. I'll show her your comments. It might help her to decide.

Thank you!! 😊 i hope she finds something she absolutely loves. 

33 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Cool! I wasn’t even aware of this model. It looks interesting.

I started looking at the original Shield 2.0 but it was difficult for me to manipulate the slide. I could do it but with quite a bit of effort that might be a problem if I ever needed to do it super quickly. The FFL said it’s a recent release. Kind of an extension to the EZ series! 🙂

• Like 2
16 hours ago, LovelyRN20 said:

(I swear I answered this earlier but I can’t find the post so excuse me if I am repeating myself.) lol I bought the Smith and Wesson Equalizer. I hate the name but I love the gun. It’s easy shooting, handling/manipulating, it fits perfect in my hand, and has extended magazines!! 😍

Congratulations on the getting the Equalizer! This is what the original 9mm Shield EZ should have been, I completed discounted the Shield EZ, due to compacity. I don't mind single stack mags at all, but not in a larger semi-auto and the EZ is not a small pistol.