Anything worthwhile on TV?

deerslayer

At home recovering from surgery and looking for something to watch.  I'm not a big TV person, but have access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max (my wife likes TV).  I can't find much that looks interesting.  Half of them are about cheesy CIA plots that would probably make real CIA types roll their eyes.  I'm a competitive shooter and quickly get irritated with shows that depict improbable shots by people with teacup grips or people constantly racking slides.

Any suggestions or is just about everything dumb?  

5 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

At home recovering from surgery and looking for something to watch.  I'm not a big TV person, but have access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max (my wife likes TV).  I can't find much that looks interesting.  Half of them are about cheesy CIA plots that would probably make real CIA types roll their eyes.  I'm a competitive shooter and quickly get irritated with shows that depict improbable shots by people with teacup grips or people constantly racking slides.

Any suggestions or is just about everything dumb?  

You're doomed lol. Try finding some older shows and/or movies as the new stuff will just irritate you more I think. Or at least it does me so anytime I find myself forced to be in front of the TV I'm usually on the oldies station. Good luck with your recovery though 👍

• Like 1

HBO max has a great new show I think you will like called The Last of US. Another popular show on there is White Lotus. The Menu is a good but strange movie you might like. 

Netflix- Bullet Train. Action movie with Brad Pitt. if you don't mind voiceover, Snow Girl was good. So is Kleo. 

Great documentary-The Pharmacist

The Sinner and Mindhunter are two more good series. 

• Moderators

If you have access to Apple TV Plus (free trial), take a look at Severance.

If you enjoyed Karate Kid in your younger years, checkout Cobra Kai (the first season is amazing, each subsequent season feels more like a soap opera but it is still worth watching). The number of original actors from original films that they got to come back for this show is amazing.

Give Disney Plus a try and watch all the Star Wars shows if you haven't. Most of these shows rival the latest trilogy by tenfold. Notably, The Mandolorian. Same could be said about many of the Marvel shows, most of them "quick" series that can be binged.

Going old school, look for Lost, Fringe, or Prison Break. Older than that: X-Files (which I'm currently watching for the first time).

If you want someone wholesome and lighthearted, check out Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. Phil was the producer for Everybody Loves Raymond back in the day, but on this Netflix series he travels and eats. It's a rather enjoyable show.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Ever watch the Longmire series? 

I have not, but people have suggested it in the past.  I prefer a TV series that is more or less one gigantic movie split into episodes and seasons (like say Breaking Bad), as opposed to shows that have nothing to do with last week's episode.  Where does Longmire fall?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

HBO max has a great new show I think you will like called The Last of US. Another popular show on there is White Lotus. The Menu is a good but strange movie you might like. 

Netflix- Bullet Train. Action movie with Brad Pitt. if you don't mind voiceover, Snow Girl was good. So is Kleo. 

Great documentary-The Pharmacist

The Sinner and Mindhunter are two more good series. 

I've seen the first two episodes of The Last of Us and liked it.  I can't watch the third one without my wife lol.  

I watched three of the four? seasons of The Sinner.  Offbeat, but interesting.  Bill Pullman has come a long way since Independence Day.

For me, the problem with Longmire is that we're supposed to believe this tiny town in Wyoming has a higher murder rate than Chicago. It's basically Law and Order cowboy edition. The characters are likeable though. It's not a bad show to pass the time but I tapped out after a few seasons. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I have not, but people have suggested it in the past.  I prefer a TV series that is more or less one gigantic movie split into episodes and seasons (like say Breaking Bad), as opposed to shows that have nothing to do with last week's episode.  Where does Longmire fall?

You could watch one episode and enjoy it, but it does have a running story line.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

For me, the problem with Longmire is that we're supposed to believe this tiny town in Wyoming has a higher murder rate than Chicago. It's basically Law and Order cowboy edition. The characters are likeable though. It's not a bad show to pass the time but I tapped out after a few seasons. 

It did jump the shark a bit toward the end, but I really enjoyed it. My wife did as well.

• Like 1
Just now, gregintenn said:

It did jump the shark a bit toward the end, but I really enjoyed it. My wife did as well.

I can think of several shows that were pretty good for three seasons or so, and then lost something and became ridiculous.  I'm in the minority, but I think Yellowstone has run its course.  Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were (IMO) exceptions.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I think we watched the first two episodes the night of my surgery and I should probably re-watch them.  I started the Oxycodone that night and kept dreaming about worms.  Not sure if it was the show or the Oxy lol.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I think we watched the first two episodes the night of my surgery and I should probably re-watch them.  I started the Oxycodone that night and kept dreaming about worms.  Not sure if it was the show or the Oxy lol.

If you're on Oxy, that would be a great time to watch the Pharmacist. 🙂

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

If you're on Oxy, that would be a great time to watch the Pharmacist. 🙂

My surgery was Tuesday (rotator cuff/labrum) and I took my last Oxy Thursday night.  I was still having some pain, but I didn't like the weird feeling in my eyes, I was feeling itchy, and I was tired of the worms.  I have no idea how people get addicted to that stuff, but everybody is different.  Give three guys tequila and one is sleepy, one has the happiest day of his life, and the third wants to fight Hulk Hogan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I think The Wire (series) is available on HBO Max.

I watched a few years back...I think, on Netflix. Really liked it. 

Crime drama, good characters and story line IMHO. 

Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. 

Thanks.  PT starts in 15 days.  

• Like 1

You can call me a kook, but I watch Pluto all the time, mostly Gunsmoke on the Gunsmoke channel.  I do have Hulu, Prime, Netflix, Disney, ESPN+, etc., but find my TV 90%+ of the time on the free Pluto watching old shows. 

Another idea, last year my wife and I watched through Prime All in the Family (Archie Bunker) every episode, about 2 shows per night, and it took 3-4 months to watch them all.  I haven't laughed that hard about TV in a long long time.  I remember watching as a young person, but now with an old adult mind, it was great to just laugh about certain situations.  My wife had never watched, and really enjoyed it.  And yes we know it was intended as a parody, but we still laughed and laughed, and I can relate but not always agree to what Archie said.  

I really do not care about what is on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, I probably couldn't name a show that is on.  I don't get caught up with the talking heads on the news outlets either.  I only watch sports and the old shows from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. 

Like I said you can call me kooky!

• Like 2

Here are some shows that we recently binged that were pretty good

Yellowstone

1883 - One season is all there will be. This plays like a long movie.

Tulsa King

Dead to Me - The last season gets funky due to Christina Applegate health issues. Just accept it and enjoy it anyway.

After Life

The Terminal List

Ted Lasso

Ghosts - The US version. Stoopid and silly, but fun

Severance - You'll either love it or hate it. Definitely a weird ride

Alone - Good reality show about people being left alone to survive in wilderness. Last person standing wins $$

Justified - Older show, but it was great. Might go back and rewatch the whole thing.

• Like 1