Anything worthwhile on TV?

deerslayer

23 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Why do shows suddenly have to include this?  A lot of people don't want to see it.  

Exactly. People are uncomfortable seeing something that happens everyday in the real world. 

Edited by Erik88
On 2/6/2023 at 2:40 PM, hipower said:

Well, I gotta jump in here. Agree on much, disagree on more. However, I am a man of discerning taste and many of your picks are far below me. But I've been a PBS and Masterpiece Theatre junkie most of my life. Maybe that accounts for my outlook.  Where's that hide under the chair emoji when I need it!

Some very good picks and suggestions here though. Longmire an A+ for me and the missus. Justified right up there with it. PrisonBreak, 24, The Blacklist...meh, a great start, then faded on me. Westerns...old and new are always good choices.

Early 70's TV had a lot of good stuff. Just had to wade thru the crap for it. For me, I love syfy. Good or bad, and there's a lot of the latter out there. Believe me, I know I've seen a lot of it! Remeber The Big Show? Afternoons on CBS out of Nashville Channel 5? Wish I could get some of those stinkers again, they were great. LOL!

I've been a SF junkie since 8 years old. I had a substitute teacher who was, shall we say...only interested in keeping the rowdies quiet, So she read to her classed almost constantly for the 2 weeks she was there. My first exposure to SF was Andre Norton. The decent novel...Star Man's Son, followed by Daybreak 2250 A.D. I was hooked! Read everything I could get my hands on. Sorry, got a bit off topic there.

Expanse is great...a space opera with politics! Bend them, I place Babylon 5, and Battlestar Galactic(the second series only, not the doodoo that Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch starred in!).

Resident Alien is great! The first 2 seasons anyway. Like writers didn't know where to go next with it. They filled in with shots af Atta's ample butt, which was hidden at first. LOL.

The Last of Us shows promise as long as it's not made into a Walking Dead clone.

Ok, enough from me. There's so much availabe to us now that finding something to watch can be difficult. At our place...it's a simple choice; whatever John Wayne movie that the person in charge of the clicker(not me) wants to see. Followed by a multitude of western channels. Gunsmoke and Wagon Train are great choices. That or Police/Medical dramas is her preferred choice. Currently binging out on Blue Bloods. It's pretty good and has Tom Selleck! That's a plus for me. I enjoy anything he does. Which lets me end this on the Jesse Stone movies. Very enjoyable!

You and I have a lot of interests in common, when it comes to reading.  Andre Norton was my introduction into Sci/fi too. Still read plenty of it and I'm almost 60! Got Kindle unlimited and I think I'm keeping several sci/fi authors in the writing business! 😄 

I'll throw in some of our favorite shows to watch. Longmire and Justified are two my wife and I highly recommend. We've watched both through twice now. Enjoyed Yellowstone, but I also think it's about run its course. 1883 was a great short series. 1923 is going to be another great short series. So far, we have enjoyed Mayor of Kingstown and Tulsa King. All those are Taylor Sheridan series. The guy knows how to make some great TV series!!!

Of course GoT was great, right up until the end. Then they screwed it up. I've enjoyed The Lord of the Rings series on Prime. You just have to accept that it's not Tolkien Canon, and then it's great.

Enjoyed the Expanse series as well, though I must confess that I enjoy reading sci/fi far more when I read it.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, deerslayer said:

It took a minute.  I’m not the reader my dad was.  He read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in three or four days and Shogun in less.  

I really liked Shogun.  That was pretty easy to read. Or so I think. Once had a reading rate nearing 1500wpm, but that was after the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redin Course from SNL!!  Much lower rate these days, and my comprehension and retention levels off a lot as well.

Still have a VHS copy of it somewhere! lol!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Moped said:

You and I have a lot of interests in common, when it comes to reading.  Andre Norton was my introduction into Sci/fi too. Still read plenty of it and I'm almost 60! Got Kindle unlimited and I think I'm keeping several sci/fi authors in the writing business! 😄 

I'll throw in some of our favorite shows to watch. Longmire and Justified are two my wife and I highly recommend. We've watched both through twice now. Enjoyed Yellowstone, but I also think it's about run its course. 1883 was a great short series. 1923 is going to be another great short series. So far, we have enjoyed Mayor of Kingstown and Tulsa King. All those are Taylor Sheridan series. The guy knows how to make some great TV series!!!

Of course GoT was great, right up until the end. Then they screwed it up. I've enjoyed The Lord of the Rings series on Prime. You just have to accept that it's not Tolkien Canon, and then it's great.

Enjoyed the Expanse series as well, though I must confess that I enjoy reading sci/fi far more when I read it.

60? A mere youngster! LOL! Don't believe I need to recommend anything for you!

However, if you like finding 50s-70s syfy...check out otisthesyfyguy website. He's in Portland, Oregon, and has some very good older books in absolutely great condition. I've gotten some classic CM Kornbluth and Eric Frank Russell from him. Many others as well. I'm having to really pare down my books these days. Ran out of space long ago, and it just kills me to box them and place in the garage. But as we are contemplating a move in the near to ver near future, I have to make choices. I just have far too many "hobbies" and my status is rapidly changing from collector/accumulator to now full-blown hoarder. If we ever make the talked about Knoxville trip, I'll check in with you and brina few up for you.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I knew the author was from or lived in Memphis.  I'll have to check out the books. 

I don't have Netflix and wasn't aware of these books or the movie.

I did check "Overdrive" (Knox County library) and they have all of Mark Greaney's books. I just borrowed book #1 in the series to my Kindle. FWIW this service "Overdrive" has saved me a fortune on books the past couple of years.

I have my Amazon account linked to Overdrive so the book was downloaded to my Kindle by the time it took me to walk to the bedroom and check.

Thanks @Chucktshoes!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hollywood 100% has an agenda. I say to my wife all the time, "why is it that of the probably 400-ish people in my life that I know, I can think of only 2 or 3 that are gay. So less than 1% of my set of data points. Yet every single TV show has to have at least one gay person."

Look, I don't care what you do in your own life, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. But, I don't want to see ANYONE being sexual on TV, gay or straight. It makes me uncomfortable to watch sex scenes, especially when my wife / (adult) kids / grandkids are in the room. Just stop showing any of it.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hipower said:

60? A mere youngster! LOL! Don't believe I need to recommend anything for you!

However, if you like finding 50s-70s syfy...check out otisthesyfyguy website. He's in Portland, Oregon, and has some very good older books in absolutely great condition. I've gotten some classic CM Kornbluth and Eric Frank Russell from him. Many others as well. I'm having to really pare down my books these days. Ran out of space long ago, and it just kills me to box them and place in the garage. But as we are contemplating a move in the near to ver near future, I have to make choices. I just have far too many "hobbies" and my status is rapidly changing from collector/accumulator to now full-blown hoarder. If we ever make the talked about Knoxville trip, I'll check in with you and brina few up for you.

Look forward to meeting you!!!

Stacks of books everywhere is the reason I went to reading on a Kindle. Now my library is physically much, much smaller, but has grown leaps and bounds!  And my wife is much happier now that the book piles have gone away. 🙂 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I don't have Netflix and wasn't aware of these books or the movie.

I did check "Overdrive" (Knox County library) and they have all of Mark Greaney's books. I just borrowed book #1 in the series to my Kindle. FWIW this service "Overdrive" has saved me a fortune on books the past couple of years.

I have my Amazon account linked to Overdrive so the book was downloaded to my Kindle by the time it took me to walk to the bedroom and check.

Thanks @Chucktshoes!

I use Overdrive too!  Great service and it's free!!! And my Amazon account is also linked to Overdrive, so it counts the books I "borrow" from the library toward my reading numbers.  My current Reading Insights numbers since I switched to Kindle are having read a book on Kindle over the last 172 weeks.  My reading days in a row right now is 672 Days.  There is only a couple of days break between this streak and the last streak, which was 532 days. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Moped said:

<SNIPPED STUFF>

I'll throw in some of our favorite shows to watch. Longmire and Justified are two my wife and I highly recommend. We've watched both through twice now.

<SNIPPED STUFF>

I'm glad you mentioned the series JUSTIFIED. (Was on Netflix, I believe.) I thought Timothy Olyphant was very good in it. Sort of a modern day gun fighter/lawman concept. It was enjoyable to watch just to see what would happen next.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Frog4aday said:

I'm glad you mentioned the series JUSTIFIED. (Was on Netflix, I believe.) I thought Timothy Olyphant was very good in it. Sort of a modern day gun fighter/lawman concept. It was enjoyable to watch just to see what would happen next.

The reboot Justified: City Primeval is supposed to start this summer.  Looking forward to more Raylan Givens in a new city.

• Like 6

I loved justified. Probably top 5 series back when FX made good stuff without pandering in their later series. 

Im sure this reboot will be horrid, but: https://ew.com/tv/justified-city-primeval-showrunners-dave-andron-michael-dinner-preview/

Also, if you ever have the chance to razz a buddy or coworker that does something dumb, abrasive or dangerous and have a future washing machine/laundry/pocket bullet after shooting  this line always gets a chuckle…

Edited by Scotty
It appears kahrman beat me to the punch
  • Like 3

I’ve become rather keen on inside the Factory.  It’s a British show on Smithsonian I think that follows the manufacturing/processing of goods from raw materials entering the factory to finished product exiting with a bunch of history thrown in.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

It's a remarkable service @Moped! And as you said FREE.

Yeah, Kindle has helped me unclutter quite a bit. I still like a good old fashioned handheld book from time to time. But definitely like my Kindle.

@hipower enlightened me on Kindles iirc. Years ago in the reading/book thread on here.

My apologies for any thread drift. 🙂

I may or may not have sent you on the road to kindle readers, but I still haven't commited to them. The old eyes just don't like reading from a small screen. Plus, I'm still hooked on hard copies of books. LOL! But if we do actually move. I'll be up the creek with a sinking canoe full of books!

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’ve become rather keen on inside the Factory.  It’s a British show on Smithsonian I think that follows the manufacturing/processing of goods from raw materials entering the factory to finished product exiting with a bunch of history thrown in.

Rather good show. I've seen a few episodes and like it becuse it's different and educational as well.

Seems like there was a show on bridge bridge building a few years back. Show the construction of some of the amazing bridges in Eastern and Western Europe. 

Now that was a fantastic show!

Not fancy series with involved plots lines, but there are several excellent shows on PBS everyone should watch that are all Tennessee.  

- Tennessee Crossroads

- Tennessee Life

-  Volunteer Gardener

All excellent and I think a lot of it is available on YouTube.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I loved justified. Probably top 5 series back when FX made good stuff without pandering in their later series. 

Im sure this reboot will be horrid, but: https://ew.com/tv/justified-city-primeval-showrunners-dave-andron-michael-dinner-preview/

Also, if you ever have the chance to razz a buddy or coworker that does something dumb, abrasive or dangerous and have a future washing machine/laundry/pocket bullet after shooting  this line always gets a chuckle…

OK!! I'm in! All it took was Raylan. I'll be there. As far as Elmore Lenoard, well truth be told, I really never liked him. But I guess I'll have to by the book and give it a try. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

I may or may not have sent you on the road to kindle readers, but I still haven't commited to them. The old eyes just don't like reading from a small screen. Plus, I'm still hooked on hard copies of books. LOL! But if we do actually move. I'll be up the creek with a sinking canoe full of books!

I read on a 10.5" Ipad. The default font on it is larger print than most hardback books.

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Not fancy series with involved plots lines, but there are several excellent shows on PBS everyone should watch that are all Tennessee.  

- Tennessee Crossroads

- Tennessee Life

-  Volunteer Gardener

All excellent and I think a lot of it is available on YouTube.

I also enjoy a lot of PBS. In fact Create is one of my favorite PBS networks.  I also love to cook, so enjoy the cooking shows.  I also enjoy the travel shows.  Tennessee Crossroads is a great show too!!!