Anything worthwhile on TV?

deerslayer

4 hours ago, deerslayer said:

At home recovering from surgery and looking for something to watch.  I'm not a big TV person, but have access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max (my wife likes TV).  I can't find much that looks interesting.  Half of them are about cheesy CIA plots that would probably make real CIA types roll their eyes.  I'm a competitive shooter and quickly get irritated with shows that depict improbable shots by people with teacup grips or people constantly racking slides.

Any suggestions or is just about everything dumb?  

If you have an antenna , there are some good programs on there. I watch the Story ch. quite a bit.

Well, I gotta jump in here. Agree on much, disagree on more. However, I am a man of discerning taste and many of your picks are far below me. But I've been a PBS and Masterpiece Theatre junkie most of my life. Maybe that accounts for my outlook.  Where's that hide under the chair emoji when I need it!

Some very good picks and suggestions here though. Longmire an A+ for me and the missus. Justified right up there with it. PrisonBreak, 24, The Blacklist...meh, a great start, then faded on me. Westerns...old and new are always good choices.

Early 70's TV had a lot of good stuff. Just had to wade thru the crap for it. For me, I love syfy. Good or bad, and there's a lot of the latter out there. Believe me, I know I've seen a lot of it! Remeber The Big Show? Afternoons on CBS out of Nashville Channel 5? Wish I could get some of those stinkers again, they were great. LOL!

I've been a SF junkie since 8 years old. I had a substitute teacher who was, shall we say...only interested in keeping the rowdies quiet, So she read to her classed almost constantly for the 2 weeks she was there. My first exposure to SF was Andre Norton. The decent novel...Star Man's Son, followed by Daybreak 2250 A.D. I was hooked! Read everything I could get my hands on. Sorry, got a bit off topic there.

Expanse is great...a space opera with politics! Bend them, I place Babylon 5, and Battlestar Galactic(the second series only, not the doodoo that Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch starred in!).

Resident Alien is great! The first 2 seasons anyway. Like writers didn't know where to go next with it. They filled in with shots af Atta's ample butt, which was hidden at first. LOL.

The Last of Us shows promise as long as it's not made into a Walking Dead clone.

Ok, enough from me. There's so much availabe to us now that finding something to watch can be difficult. At our place...it's a simple choice; whatever John Wayne movie that the person in charge of the clicker(not me) wants to see. Followed by a multitude of western channels. Gunsmoke and Wagon Train are great choices. That or Police/Medical dramas is her preferred choice. Currently binging out on Blue Bloods. It's pretty good and has Tom Selleck! That's a plus for me. I enjoy anything he does. Which lets me end this on the Jesse Stone movies. Very enjoyable!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It did jump the shark a bit toward the end, but I really enjoyed it. My wife did as well.

I just HAVE to say this about that final Longmire Season! Walt FINALLY gets it on with Vic! 
A long awaited event! In the novels it actually happens much sooner. And Walt almost has a fling with Vic's Mom! Don't remember if it happens or not.

Been thinking of reading the series again. Guess I will have to start now.

Loved Katee Sackhoff in this show!

• Like 1

Most of what I would mention has already been mentioned.  There doesn't seem to be any real writers anymore.  Everything is a copy (remake) of something that has already been done that was successful, or newly written garbage pushing an agenda, or remake of something that was originally successful but now remade and pushing agendas.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I can think of several shows that were pretty good for three seasons or so, and then lost something and became ridiculous.  I'm in the minority, but I think Yellowstone has run its course.  Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were (IMO) exceptions.

Agreed. I've not even completed the last seasons of Yellowstone. My wife loves it though, so I have to listen as she watches.

As far as GOT, can't tell you how many times we've watched it. Wife thinks it's the best ever.

House of Dragons is interesting to me. Hasn't gotten to the level of GOT, but is very good. Matt Smith is great in it. Hatted his stint as the Doctor. Strange.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Agreed. I've not even completed the last seasons of Yellowstone. My wife loves it though, so I have to listen as she watches.

As far as GOT, can't tell you how many times we've watched it. Wife thinks it's the best ever.

House of Dragons is interesting to me. Hasn't gotten to the level of GOT, but is very good. Matt Smith is great in it. Hatted his stint as the Doctor. Strange.

I'm tired of Beth Dutton and all the memes saying Rip is a real man because he supports his woman no matter what.  If Rip were real and had a two digit IQ, he would drop that unstable b*tch like a bad habit.

I didn't even start GOT until after it had ended.  It just seemed too Dungeons-and-Dragonsish to me.  I finally watched the first season and was surprised.  I then decided to read the books to figure out exactly who was who.  Ha!  And I thought the show had a lot going on.  After reading all five books, I went back to the show and loved it.  

I once heard someone ask, "What fictional character would you like to have dinner with?"  No brainer - Tyrion Lannister.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Boardwalk Empire was good.

Black Sails was entertaining but it's not the greatest show on Earth.

If you like pro-wrestling at all, two shows I'm enjoying are Tales From The Territories (true stories from the pre-WWF days) and Heels (fictional drama of a small-town wresting operation). GLOW was a fun ride, but not the greatest. It gets worse in the last season.

I highly recommend the Godfather of Harlem on MGM+ (formerly Epix)  While it is a historical drama based on real people and real events, the show states outright that some of it is fictional for dramatic effect. 

The show is set in the mid-1960s. Bumpy Johnson (Forest Whitaker) is the criminal overload of Harlem, New York. He's constantly at odds with the Italian Mafia who want Harlem for themselves. Its also the middle of the Civil Rights movement which plays a large part in the story.  Malcom X and Adam Clayton Powell are also prominent characters.  This is a character driven drama. The acting is excellent and the story just grabs you. 

Having been a white kid growing up in the 1960s, I'm really surprised at how fascinating it is to see the story from the black perspective. Excellent show. 👍

I'll give a vote for.

Ghost (US)

Justify

Longmire

And add

Leverage it is on FreeVee

Leverage: Redemption - follow on to Leverage that is currently filming Season 1 in can and most of season 2 also on Freevee
  I think if you have prime  you can get FreeVee shows without ads

Murdoch Mysteries is another favorite and is still in production with 15 seasons in the can.

I agree a lot of the old shows are better we watch a lot of older mystery shows

19 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Going old school, look for Lost, Fringe, or Prison Break. Older than that: X-Files (which I'm currently watching for the first time).

Fringe was so good.  I loved that show.  I should rewatch it. 

16 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

Ghosts - The US version. Stoopid and silly, but fun

Have you watched the original?  I watched it first and was annoyed they just rehashed the same story lines.  But they’ve diverged now and it’s easier to treat them as separate shows.  I like both the UK and US versions. 

15 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Also "Resident Alien"

I’ll watch anything with Alan Tudyk in it  

12 hours ago, hipower said:

I hated Matt Smith at first but by his second season I was great with him as the Doctor.   When I rewatched it, I realized my hate was just sadness at losing Tennent.   But I’m the opposite, I can’t stand Matt Smith in HoD.   I’m going to attribute this one to knowing him as the Doctor and now seeing him playing a character from Alabama.   Sometimes I hate when actors I love from specific roles play a character we aren’t supposed to like  

11 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I'm tired of Beth Dutton and all the memes saying Rip is a real man because he supports his woman no matter what.  If Rip were real and had a two digit IQ, he would drop that unstable b*tch like a bad habit.

Beth is the weakest point of the show for me.  She creates as many problem as she solves.  I’ll be fine if they ever choose to kill her off. 

7 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Leverage it is on FreeVee

Leverage: Redemption - follow on to Leverage that is currently filming Season 1 in can and most of season 2 also on Freevee
  I think if you have prime  you can get FreeVee shows without ads

I enjoyed Leverage and watch Redemption.  In the same vane are some other favorites like Psych and The Librarians.  The TNT/USA network shows from that era were pretty good. 

17 hours ago, deerslayer said:

F TV, I’m tired of it.  Tomorrow I’m going riding around to gun shops.  But I don’t think I can fill out a 4473. 

Most places in my area do the 4473 on a computer.I can’t remember the last time I filled one out on paper.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

What was the price on. DWX. How did it look quality wise. The LGS in my area don’t have any 

$2099

It looked like a high quality gun.  It doesn't fit anywhere in the competitive world (the first place my brain goes), but man I liked that gun.