HB 1233 - Illegal to store firearms or ammunition in a vehcile or boat if not locked away

HB1233

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates the offense of storing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat while the person is not in the motor vehicle or boat unless the firearm or firearm ammunition is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, utility or glove box, or a locked container securely affixed to the motor vehicle or boat; requires the owner of a firearm to report the loss or theft of the firearm to law enforcement within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss or theft. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1233&GA=113

NewsChannel 5 story:  https://youtu.be/TDOoY5PQKIA

WPLN Article: https://wpln.org/post/a-record-breaking-number-of-guns-have-been-stolen-from-cars-in-tennessee-state-democrats-are-introducing-legislation-to-crack-down-on-gun-owners/

I agree that we should all be securing our firearms at all times but...  whose the criminal here?

Edited by DHF
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, RED333 said:

That is one hell of a concept, we all need to write our representatives.🤪

I have heard people talking about how auto owners should be held accountable if they don't lock their doors &/or leave the keys in the automobile.

This bill even lists ammunition. Think how long this list could get if you want to start talking about "dangerous" items they could steal.  Guess we'd have to start with the car itself. 

So, I put my gun and ammo in the trunk, as directed by the proposed law. I then lock my car and leave. Some douche smashes out my window, rifles through my car, pops the trunk (now accessible since the car is open) and steals my gun. It’s still stolen but I guess I am safe from prosecution?  Something tells me all guns will be stolen from “locked trunks” in the future 

• Like 3

One step they could implement that would help reduce the number of firearms that would be left in vehicles is if they made it legal for people to carry their firearms and ammunition with them into stores, work, hotels, etc...  Add that to any letter to your representatives.  Their own rules are helping to exacerbate the problem, not that we don't see that everyday.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Moderators

Just another stupid law taking away freedoms.

I'm sorry but if my vehicle is locked (all my vehicles are locked, even in my driveway, 100% of the time), and someone breaks into it, how does that make me a criminal? How does adding something else to lock a firearm or ammunition up in help? Anything can be broken into. Let's put the blame where it belongs. 

We cannot idiot or criminal proof everything. 

Geez, off to write more letters to my representatives. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 6
57 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

So, I put my gun and ammo in the trunk, as directed by the proposed law. I then lock my car and leave. Some douche smashes out my window, rifles through my car, pops the trunk (now accessible since the car is open) and steals my gun. It’s still stolen but I guess I am safe from prosecution?  Something tells me all guns will be stolen from “locked trunks” in the future 

If they are able to prove it wasn’t locked, don’t you think they could use that technology/expertise to discourage burglary?

I’ve about decided the entire police/court system is nothing more than a revenue generator.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

that is essentially the current law now when storing a firearm on school grounds.  No different than leaving a wallet, cell phone, or purse in plain view.....simply stupid to do so.  Also noted that a law last year increased the penalty for stealing a firearm.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So, you slide you gun under the seat to run in the DMV and you come out to find your window smashed, your car ransacked, and your gun missing. You drive to Walmart, buy a $20 lockbox, take it home and break into it with a screwdriver and pliers, then drive back to the DMV and call the cops to report it stolen. Problem solved, right? LOL 😁

• Like 1

BigK,

Why?  They cut the cable and stole the entire lockbox rather than taking the time to pry it open at the vehicle.

Note to self: I do have a lockbox in the car.  It's a good idea to take a picture of it cabled in place to prove it's existence should the car ever get broken into and a firearm stolen.

• Love 1