Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge

Hey folks,  went for a drive out to Gatlinburg this weekend since I had never been that far east being fairly new to Tn, and man that was a let down.  How and the heck did it become that much of a tourist mess?  Seems like a way better way to represent the area would be to show off the history.  Anyways just chit chatting I guess.  Love exploring great history if you have any ideas.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I agree, i am close too and the place is a joke really.  I also heard they are going to charge to park in the national park area soon.  The history and the mountains are beautiful but all the crap along the way is just too much.  Good revenue for sevier county but i'm not a fan of all of it.  Also if you go to a car show up there, be prepared to sit in 3 hours of traffic and they are nothing like they used to be.

• Like 2

Last Ford Show I went to was in early 2000s It was a mess even then. Could get around better on foot than in a vehicle. Even the crowd was bad that year. Almost elbow to elbow walking down the streets.

I haven't been back since a trip to SMGW a few years ago. 

• Like 1

I have a brother that lives in Maryville, He does not go there, lived in the area most of 40 years now and knows a few way to get around some of the mess to take me to the big gun shops when I visit. The place is what it is, a tourist mecca, money making place.

Nashville in the warmer weather is a mess as well, down town can take 45 mins to go just 4 blocks on Broadway. I would not surprise me one bit if the city closes the roads at times to let more people walk the in the streets, here in Nashville and up there in Gatlinburg.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 1

I've lived near G'burg most of my life, and avoid it as much as possible.  It used to be a "decent" place to go during the off season (winter time, when school was in session) but the powers that be have made it into a year round destination.  During the off season fewer people/tourists made it tolerable but some of the stores were closed.    Loved to stop by the carmel corn place, my favorite.  LOL

I go in off seasons most times except for last of October. Not a lot of people around during off times. Will be going this week for anniversary and staying in a cabin near P Forge. I enjoy Pigeon Forge, but G-burg is a crowded mess. Also the park is getting crowded. Don't know about paying to using parking in the Park? We RV there most times. 

10 hours ago, Gunner2k said:

I agree, i am close too and the place is a joke really.  I also heard they are going to charge to park in the national park area soon.  The history and the mountains are beautiful but all the crap along the way is just too much.  Good revenue for sevier county but i'm not a fan of all of it.  Also if you go to a car show up there, be prepared to sit in 3 hours of traffic and they are nothing like they used to be.

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I go in off seasons most times except for last of October. Not a lot of people around during off times. Will be going this week for anniversary and staying in a cabin near P Forge. I enjoy Pigeon Forge, but G-burg is a crowded mess. Also the park is getting crowded. Don't know about paying to using parking in the Park? We RV there most times. 

Starting March 1st if you are parked more than 15 min inside the NP you will have to purchase a pass. Period. Good times

16 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I am less than an hour away and avoid that area. It is not my idea of fun. 

Same here.   The traffic is usually horrible. 

It does have a few redeeming qualities....  eat breakfast at the Pancake Pantry, then find a bench for people watching while you digest, then get stop by the Donut Fryer on the way home. 

The aquarium is nice too,  but its gotten expensive and you have to go during the week. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Been right here all my life and NEVER thought it would become the joke it has. 😞

I thought I might like to retire around that area, since I left Sevierville for the Navy back in 1983. We looked there a couple of times, but that was a hard "No"!  Glad we moved to Cumberland County instead.

It really wasn't so bad in the mid 70's through the early 80's. The Worlds Fair spurred a building frenzy back in the day, then the outlet malls.

Been to Gatlinburg once and never got out of the truck, tried to go to the aquarium and followed the signs to park and I would not fit in the parking garage and ended up driving half way up a mountain till I could find a safe place to turn around and I told my wife get me out of this town and she found a route out. Been to Pigeon Forge twice and haven't been in a hurry for a third visit. I now go to Sevierville, just as far as the Knife Works and Buds Gun shop. Been many times and planning another trip soon.

I spent my first 32 years in Sevierville, worked in Pigeon Forge in the mid to late 80s, graduated HS from there, and thought it was the best place to live, but ignorance to tourons was bliss.  Fast forward, I had to leave the area for good paying work, not a lot of good paying jobs, tons of jobs though, but nothing to raise a family on and have disposable income left over, that decision was ~25 years ago.   I would not live there today or retire there!  I do still feel like Sevier county is my home though due to my connections and up bringing.  My wife is not originally from there, but still loves the Dollywood thing, she still goes 5-7 times a year, and she does drag me to DW a couple of times per year.  We still have ways to navigate the backroads to avoid the traffic.   

PSA:  In the summer months, go to the attractions on Sunday afternoons and evenings, that is when the tourons are transitioning in/out.  DW is virtually vacant on Sunday after 3pm, and the Aquarium is like a ghost town after 6pm on Sunday evenings as well, they close at 10pm.  Learn to use the trolleys, that is the best way to get around.  There is no good time to go the restaurants, but I highly recommend Carver's restaurant in Cosby, its very much like the Apple Barn but for a lot less money, almost same menu (I know of the former chef connection).   Its about 25 min from Gatlinburg on 321.

Since that area was originally my home, I have lots of family there from both sides, so I do have to visit the area occasionally.  I still like to go RV camping at the Greenbrier Island campground once per year between Gatlinburg and Cosby, but I pull my 5th wheel camper through Cosby off of 40, never no traffic.  If you must visit Gatlinburg, and you do not want go through the Sevierville 407 traffic and Pigeon Forge, I do recommend the Wilton Springs exit on 40, I think its exit 440, that is about 30 min from Gatlinburg, and no traffic.  The only traffic you will encounter is when 321 and 441 meet up in downtown Gatlinburg.    

If you truly want to see the Smokies, follow my Cosby suggestion or try the North Carolina side, Cherokee or Fontana.  Otherwise blend end with the tourons and have patience.  

• Like 4
9 hours ago, runco said:

I spent my first 32 years in Sevierville, worked in Pigeon Forge in the mid to late 80s, graduated HS from there, and thought it was the best place to live, but ignorance to tourons was bliss.  Fast forward, I had to leave the area for good paying work, not a lot of good paying jobs, tons of jobs though, but nothing to raise a family on and have disposable income left over, that decision was ~25 years ago.   I would not live there today or retire there!  I do still feel like Sevier county is my home though due to my connections and up bringing.  My wife is not originally from there, but still loves the Dollywood thing, she still goes 5-7 times a year, and she does drag me to DW a couple of times per year.  We still have ways to navigate the backroads to avoid the traffic.   

PSA:  In the summer months, go to the attractions on Sunday afternoons and evenings, that is when the tourons are transitioning in/out.  DW is virtually vacant on Sunday after 3pm, and the Aquarium is like a ghost town after 6pm on Sunday evenings as well, they close at 10pm.  Learn to use the trolleys, that is the best way to get around.  There is no good time to go the restaurants, but I highly recommend Carver's restaurant in Cosby, its very much like the Apple Barn but for a lot less money, almost same menu (I know of the former chef connection).   Its about 25 min from Gatlinburg on 321.

Since that area was originally my home, I have lots of family there from both sides, so I do have to visit the area occasionally.  I still like to go RV camping at the Greenbrier Island campground once per year between Gatlinburg and Cosby, but I pull my 5th wheel camper through Cosby off of 40, never no traffic.  If you must visit Gatlinburg, and you do not want go through the Sevierville 407 traffic and Pigeon Forge, I do recommend the Wilton Springs exit on 40, I think its exit 440, that is about 30 min from Gatlinburg, and no traffic.  The only traffic you will encounter is when 321 and 441 meet up in downtown Gatlinburg.    

If you truly want to see the Smokies, follow my Cosby suggestion or try the North Carolina side, Cherokee or Fontana.  Otherwise blend end with the tourons and have patience.  

Carver's is good stuff. We usually go there in the fall to get apples, pumpkins, etc. to preserve.  Really good fried pies too.