I just found out that I'm dead today

Tuffus

I applied for a credit card last week and received this reply today. "We are unable to approve this application at this time because information provided by the credit reporting agency has indicated the applicant is deceased". Sagestream says I can file a complaint but how do I do that if I'm dead? I wonder if they have had my funeral yet? I think I would like to go just to see who came.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 3

Contact your local SSA office. You’d me amazed the network that receive death reports.  If a credit company has it, it’s likely coming from a database that will cause you A LOT more issues if you don’t get ahead of it. Think health insurance, bank transactions/accounts, investments and more.  PM me if you have questions. It can be fixed but it’s not overnight. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Contact your local SSA office. You’d me amazed the network that receive death reports.  If a credit company has it, it’s likely coming from a database that will cause you A LOT more issues if you don’t get ahead of it. Think health insurance, bank transactions/accounts, investments and more.  PM me if you have questions. It can be fixed but it’s not overnight. 

Thanks, I may contact you if needed.

11 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Yep.  My parents' bank killed off my Dad many years ago. It was rather a hassle to bring him back to life. 

• Admin Team

Since 2014 - public access to the Death Master File has been limited. But, like was mentioned above - a trip down to your local SSA office is certainly the first step on the path to getting it addressed.

Hopefully it was someone miskeying your SSN when you applied for a card.  You could probably check for yourself by trying to pull your credit report at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Looks like I have been resurrected. I reapplied for the credit card and got it this time. Maybe I made a typo on the first application. I guess they could have done something like that on their end. Interesting enough I did a LexisNexis inquiry and it even showed every time I drove my 2019 Silverado with mileage and time on the road.

• Like 1