10/22 Bullpup! DT Trek-22!

Smith

I'm a bullpup fan and when I saw the opportunity to get the new Desert Tech Trek-22 for the Ruger 10/22, I jumped. I understand it'll be a love or hate, purely on asthetics alone, but I love it!

It's super compact, balances extremely well, losses weight over any other stock, and retains (if not accents) my Hornet trigger. All my upgrades are retained.

A couple drawbacks: you'll have to take the stock shell apart to deep clean and you have to remove the optic to remove the clam shell. Not hard just a thing. That being said, it's easy to access for general cleaning and easy to reassemble.

This is my final setup. That's an 18" bull barrel.

20230220_144216.thumb.jpg.dc96a72a99fa18bc8d123de699de6887.jpg

20230220_144140.thumb.jpg.03f0b7b2b40054df9711c72c90652f84.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Smith said:

I'm a bullpup fan and when I saw the opportunity to get the new Desert Tech Trek-22 for the Ruger 10/22, I jumped. I understand it'll be a love or hate, purely on asthetics alone, but I love it!

It's super compact, balances extremely well, losses weight over any other stock, and retains (if not accents) my Hornet trigger. All my upgrades are retained.

A couple drawbacks: you'll have to take the stock shell apart to deep clean and you have to remove the optic to remove the clam shell. Not hard just a thing. That being said, it's easy to access for general cleaning and easy to reassemble.

This is my final setup. That's an 18" bull barrel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have to ponder on this for a bit.

3 hours ago, RED333 said:

Looks a bit different, shame the maker could not do some thing else with the hand grip, looks like a commieforna compliant rifle.

I thought that too but after handling it, it makes sense. It keeps it very compact and accentuates it's portability. I actually prefer it to a grip in this platform, now that I have it.

• Like 1

I don't mind bullpups.....but I like to wrap my thumb around a grip or stock, not rest it on the chassis. I get it's a 1022 no recoil etc but I've always enjoyed gripping my firearms and holding on to them.....

Other than that, I wouldn't say no to shooting it, looks like .22 fun to me. 

11 hours ago, RED333 said:

Looks a bit different, shame the maker could not do some thing else with the hand grip, looks like a commieforna compliant rifle.

I would think the grip would be similar to that of holding a rifle or a shotgun.

I think what's throwing me is the asthetics of the bipod hanging of the front. I do like the profile, or what I think it would look like without the bi-pod.

• Like 1

I agree with the bipod. It's QD for that very reason, but I left it on for the picture.

I'm also going to try an mlok side mounted bipid and see how that works. I need the bipod for taking care of the groundhogs through my kitchen window. 😁 It's actually very easy to shoot offhand. Balances very well.

20 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

I have been wanting to build a 10/22 bullpup for a long time but keep resisting. I figure if I fall into a deal on a 10/22 it will push me over the top.

Looks like fun plinker.

I had looked at the High Tower and the Aklys. I was seriously considering the High Tower but I didn't like the look of the 25nd mag and it is fairly large (height wise). Heard good reviews though.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:43 PM, Smith said:

I had looked at the High Tower and the Aklys. I was seriously considering the High Tower but I didn't like the look of the 25nd mag and it is fairly large (height wise). Heard good reviews though.

I converted my HiPoint 995 into a bullpup with the High Tower stock.

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, Smith said:

I had a high tower years ago and the trigger was awful.  I used an excessive amount of electrical tape to take up some of the slack in it but it was still pretty bad. 

26 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Probably fine for a bench shooter. Maybe a vertical or AFG under the bipod would help, but shooting it standing without a thumb grip would be super awkward.

But good on you OP, it's fun to make vision a reality.

It handles really well standing. The bipod doesn't affect the handling with my front hand. I was a little concerned that it would, but it works very well. 

• Like 1