Discussion of Underappreciated Handguns

TGO David

My Taurus 2" brl mdl 617 7 shot snubby. Very few like them. It is a K frame size Pocket Revolver and is rock solid. I own 3 in 357/38Spl, and one alloy frame lightweight in 38 Spl only. Gave one to a daughter for protection a few years back before she moved to Florida. You can't pick up a magazine without seeing 5 stories about the worshipped 1911 which is not a pocket pistol and only holds one/two? more round than the Revolver.

I pocket carry one of my revolvers daily and have for the last 12 years. My revolvers do still have the factory triggers and I practice drawing them with my thumb over the hammer so they will not get caught on pocket material. 

For a second gun I IWB carry SW M P 9MM 2.0 C pistol at the 4 O clock position strong side, if I feel the need for a backup. 

My Taurus's get very little respect. The M P's do have "some" respect. 

• Like 1
On 2/21/2023 at 5:36 PM, BigK said:

I know you're touting the caliber not all guns in this category, but the only .32acp I've ever shot is my Kel-Tec P-32. I almost gave up on it because it choked on every single hollow point I ever tried. It was literally a single-shot pistol w/ hp ammo. Luckily .32 acp ball ammo suited me just fine for SD.

I carried a Gen 1 P32 for a couple of years.  Then my oldest wanted a small carry pistol and I thought I wanted a LCP. So I bought one and gave her the little P32. It ran great with FMJs. I have a box of Silvertips for it, but after reading about rim lock with HPs, I just decided to shoot FMJs through it.  Honestly doubt the HP would expand, with .32acp.

2 hours ago, pop pop said:

My Taurus 2" brl mdl 617 7 shot snubby. Very few like them. It is a K frame size Pocket Revolver and is rock solid. I own 3 in 357/38Spl, and one alloy frame lightweight in 38 Spl only. Gave one to a daughter for protection a few years back before she moved to Florida. You can't pick up a magazine without seeing 5 stories about the worshipped 1911 which is not a pocket pistol and only holds one/two? more round than the Revolver.

I pocket carry one of my revolvers daily and have for the last 12 years. My revolvers do still have the factory triggers and I practice drawing them with my thumb over the hammer so they will not get caught on pocket material. 

For a second gun I IWB carry SW M P 9MM 2.0 C pistol at the 4 O clock position strong side, if I feel the need for a backup. 

My Taurus's get very little respect. The M P's do have "some" respect. 

I like Taurus revolvers.  I have a 627 Tracker in .357 (7 shot) with a 4" ported barrel, that shots incredible.  .357 158GR SJHPs feel like your shooting .38 spl with those ports! 

Right now, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Taurus 3" 856 .38spl (6 shot) or a 3" 605 .357 (5 shot) to use as a carry pistol. I will probably trade my S&W 442 in one or the other.  I have a inch for a 3" revolver and S&W K-Frames are super expensive or made from unobtainium.

• Like 1

P08 Luger. The original 9mm. If you haven’t shot one, you wouldn’t understand. I’m surprised someone doesn’t manufacture these today.

Also, the 51 Remington was way ahead of its time. I’m speaking of the original; not the recent attempt to bastardize this wonderful and unique design.

In my opinion, these are two of the most beautiful and ergonomic semi auto handguns ever devised.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

P08 Luger. The original 9mm. If you haven’t shot one, you wouldn’t understand. I’m surprised someone doesn’t manufacture these today.

Also, the 51 Remington was way ahead of its time. I’m speaking of the original; not the recent attempt to bastardize this wonderful and unique design.

In my opinion, these are two of the most beautiful and ergonomic semi auto handguns ever devised.

I would agree but the OP and trend is to think “what would you carry”.

As such, I’ll throw out the humble Bersa Thunder 22.  Great pistol.  It’s fun, accurate, and a joy to handle.  If one were so inclined to carry a .22 then you could dump 400 grains of lead on target with a quickness.

Edited by Garufa
Phone spelling
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

As such, I’ll throw out the humble Bersa Thunder 22.  Great pistol.  It’s fun, accurate, and a joy to handle.  If one were so included to carry a .22 then you could dump 400 grains of lead on target with a quickness.

If I were to carry a .22 for SD, It would be my Taurus T-Rex 22. LOVE THAT GUN!!! I've had zero issues with it shooting 40gr standard velocity white box ammo, Aguila HV and Federal Punch.  It's run all those so far shoots really nice groups!

I'll add a couple more.

Makarov's, once the trigger weight is adjusted, are fine guns. Of course they are simplified Walther PP versions. 

The Tokarev pistols are pretty good takes on Browning's designs and the 7.62x25 is a fantastic round. Wish the round had more market.

• Like 2

I'd say the Ruger P-Series in 9mm and .45ACP. They are the P85 , P89 , P90 , P93 , P95 , and P97.  These are fat and and chunky pistols. They are DA/SA hammer fired guns. The P95 and P97 have firberglass filled polymer frames. The frame rails that the slide rides on is the same material that the frame is made of , so you have a metal slide riding directly on polymer rails , yet the rails never wear down. These guns were extremely reliable. I have several and wont part with them. When shooting them , their action seems to be slow when compared to other pistols. The slide makes a sound similar to "kaachunk".  They run and run. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

As such, I’ll throw out the humble Bersa Thunder 22.  Great pistol.  It’s fun, accurate, and a joy to handle.  If one were so inclined to carry a .22 then you could dump 400 grains of lead on target with a quickness.

I didn't get the impression of "what would you carry" from David's original post. I do tend to think that way rather than target or plinking though. There is also the hunting aspect, at one point (when I was MUCH younger) I wanted to hunt big bear with a handgun and as such I think the Redhawk would be my choice over an S&W or a 10mm. 

I like the Bersa but personally would not use any rimmed semi auto for defense. For a true mouse gun the Browning Baby cannot be beaten. 9 ounces empty and mine has been reliable. My dad had one for all of my life and he told me he couldn't jam it even when he tried. .25 ACP is just as capable ballistically from pistol length barrel as any .22 

didn't mean to leave out the collectors. I would put Greg's P08 near the top for me there. Wish I knew who dad sold his to.

For reference, when I traded for my Browning it had rust and lint "bunnies" in it. a good cleaning and a little oil and she runs like a Browning should. The only reason it sits in my safe is my P32.

Edited by papa61
  • Like 1

I'm glad to see Taurus products "getting some love" on this thread.  

I have owned a half dozen or so of them over the years and have never had a single problem with them.  In fact, the most accurate "out of the box" 1911 that I ever owned or fired was a Taurus.  

I'm not saying that the complaints some have had are not legit, just saying that my personal experience with them could not have been any better  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

I'm glad to see Taurus products "getting some love" on this thread.  

I have owned a half dozen or so of them over the years and have never had a single problem with them.  In fact, the most accurate "out of the box" 1911 that I ever owned or fired was a Taurus.  

I'm not saying that the complaints some have had are not legit, just saying that my personal experience with them could not have been any better  

Dad had a stainless Taurus copy of a 92 Beretta. I sure wish I’d have known he was going to trade it off. That was a fine pistol.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Alright, so I am going to toss the newish Walther PDP onto the table for discussion.  For some reason these do not get a whole lot of attention, but they are in my opinion one of the best handguns on the market for defensive or duty purposes these days.

They have a stellar trigger, especially for a striker-fired gun. 

They are not only optics-ready but are essentially "optics brand agnostic" thanks to a mounting plate system.  And a mounting plate system that is deeply recessed into the slide so that the factory iron sights co-witness with an optic without needing to be replaced with taller variants.

People without engineering degrees suddenly became engineering experts when the PDP was released and made much to do about the mounting plate's lack of recoil lugs, which ended up being a complete load of hooey.  Even still, Walther addressed that by making an unnecessary modification to the slide with the 2.0 mounting design.

And speaking of iron sights, Walther wisely chose to use Glock-pattern sights, so the pistol inherited an insane variety of iron sight options which are easy to remove and install.  Rather than being forced to use a pair of sights that you don't really care for, you have a ton of options, and those options were available right out of the gate.

The grip texture on these guns is amazing as well, so aftermarket stippling isn't necessary - although I've seen people do it and have wondered why the hell they'd ruin a perfectly good gun like that.  And, of course, the grip size is adjustable thanks to a trio of backstraps included with the gun AND folks with even smaller hands can choose the "F" variant of the PDP that has an even smaller grip circumference.

Accuracy of the gun is spot-on thanks to an excellent barrel, and the recoil impulse of the gun is smooth and quick, allowing for very fast and flat shooting.

It really blows my mind that more people don't own and carry these.

exactly GIF

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Alright, so I am going to toss the newish Walther PDP onto the table for discussion.  For some reason these do not get a whole lot of attention, but they are in my opinion one of the best handguns on the market for defensive or duty purposes these days.

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic firearms.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

They have a stellar trigger, especially for a striker-fired gun. 

They are not only optics-ready but are essentially "optics brand agnostic" thanks to a mounting plate system.  And a mounting plate system that is deeply recessed into the slide so that the factory iron sights co-witness with an optic without needing to be replaced with taller variants.

People without engineering degrees suddenly became engineering experts when the PDP was released and made much to do about the mounting plate's lack of recoil lugs, which ended up being a complete load of hooey.  Even still, Walther addressed that by making an unnecessary modification to the slide with the 2.0 mounting design.

And speaking of iron sights, Walther wisely chose to use Glock-pattern sights, so the pistol inherited an insane variety of iron sight options which are easy to remove and install.  Rather than being forced to use a pair of sights that you don't really care for, you have a ton of options, and those options were available right out of the gate.

The grip texture on these guns is amazing as well, so aftermarket stippling isn't necessary - although I've seen people do it and have wondered why the hell they'd ruin a perfectly good gun like that.  And, of course, the grip size is adjustable thanks to a trio of backstraps included with the gun AND folks with even smaller hands can choose the "F" variant of the PDP that has an even smaller grip circumference.

Accuracy of the gun is spot-on thanks to an excellent barrel, and the recoil impulse of the gun is smooth and quick, allowing for very fast and flat shooting.

It really blows my mind that more people don't own and carry these.

exactly GIF

What did Walther improve over the PPQ?  I had a 4" PPQ and a Q5, but decided they weren't for me.  They were accurate and had decent triggers, but none of the backstraps would allow me ergonomically activate both the mag release and the slide release - I had to pick one or the other.  Many complained that the grip was too short.  The grip texture was meh, but there is no such thing as too aggressive in my book.  I wanted to like them, but ended up going back to a Glock.  

Another highly  underappreciated gun is the Colt Mustang. This little pocket .380 is a wonderful pistol. Its basically a miniature 1911. Its locked breech design make recoil easy to manage and its more than accurate enough for its purpose. I have two of these. A first issue all steel model from 1983 and a newer XSP  version. The XSP was what I carried on my daily exercise walks. With its polymer frame and stainless steel slide, its about as sweat proof as a gun can get. This is the only plastic gun I own. or likely ever will. 

But does it get the recognition it deserves? Hell NO! Instead you hear about the Sig P-238 and Kimber Micro .380. Both of which are clones of the original Mustang that preceded them by many years. AND the Mustang is usually as much as $100 cheaper. 🙄

• Like 2
22 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I've owned all three (43, CM9, and Shield) and the Shield was bigger than the other two.  The CM9 and the 43 were close enough to not matter when the 43 was wearing its stock 6 round magazine.  I am using sise-by-side comparisons, not some manufacturer's misleading specs.  The CM9 was a good little gun except for its awful trigger.  

Right. Individuals comparing pistols side-by-side seems like the best way to decide and pick your the best for you. That's what I did with several various Shield modes, G43, and a Hellcat. Didn't have a 365 at the time. As you've heard me say before, I choose the Shield Plus Performance Center.

As far as the Kahr pistols...deerslayer said it best for me. Good competitive choices, but I cannot take the trigger. Tried to like them, but cannot do it. Tried several times. Just not for me.

Rex Zero 1 

https://www.arex.si/zero1

last summer I noticed a Sig226 clone on a local online gun auction site

harveysauctions.com 

It looked so much like the Sig that I had to check it out. After handling this pistol I bid and won the Rex Zero One for $420. Manufactured in Slovenia and imported by Fime Group out of Las Vegas this pistol is a beast. And point of aim is dead on. This pistol is very customizable with after market parts available becoming available 

There are a lot of Utube reviews and torture test , including a 3000 round non stop firing with zero malfunctions 

• Like 6
On 2/23/2023 at 8:23 AM, gregintenn said:

Dad had a stainless Taurus copy of a 92 Beretta. I sure wish I’d have known he was going to trade it off. That was a fine pistol.

I have been waiting and watching for one of those to pop up for sale.

• Administrator
21 hours ago, deerslayer said:

What did Walther improve over the PPQ?  I had a 4" PPQ and a Q5, but decided they weren't for me.  

I've never owned a PPQ so I really can't say.  From looking at photos, the PDP looks to build off of the PPQ's positive points and adds quite a bit more.

21 hours ago, deerslayer said:

They were accurate and had decent triggers, but none of the backstraps would allow me ergonomically activate both the mag release and the slide release - I had to pick one or the other.  Many complained that the grip was too short.  The grip texture was meh, but there is no such thing as too aggressive in my book.  I wanted to like them, but ended up going back to a Glock.  

The PDP's grip texture is insanely good.  Grippy without being abrasive.  The PDP F-Series addresses the issues that you had with the length of pull.

• Like 1

Compared to the PPQ, the PDP has: 

• Several grip and slide length options
  • Straight frontstrap instead of finger grooves
  • Redesigned slide profile to provide wider base for optic mount
  • Narrower notch on rear sight  (though mine do not cowitness with my Holosun 507
  • Stiffer mag catch spring
  • More aggressive grip stippling pattern with more coverage

I see the PDP as a minor but worthwhile upgrade to the PPQ.  My PPQs don't get a lot of action since I got my PDP.