Lost half a finger

swiley383

Any of you guys ever lost a finger and had to learn how to grip a pistol again? I got a nasty infection in my tindon duct in my middle finger on my right hand (shooting hand). Three surgeries later I ended up having part of it amputated and a bunch of work done on my right palm. It will be a while before I can shoot I am only 5 weeks out still have to build movement and hand strength back up. I tried to grip my shield the other day didn’t go so well. I can’t completely close my hand yet. Just wondering how long it will take to over come this and what I will have to relearn.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 2

I'm sorry to read about your amputation, that's a shame. I've had no problem like that, but my father lost part of his right index finger in an industrial accident. He was able to continue to shoot very well after the wound fully healed. He just used the new end of his finger on the trigger. 

I think if I were in your situation I'd practice gripping the pistol every day for just a few minutes, working toward longer practice times.  Maybe try one of those spring grip exercisers or squeeze a racquetball a few times a day.

Are you seeing a physical therapist?  I know that a lot of the medical profession is allergic to handguns, but here in TN we have a lot of shooters, so maybe your therapist might be able to offer up some good exercises and better answer your questions about recovery times.

• Like 1

Caution against self prescribed “pt”, you could do more harm than good. Know how frustrating injuries like this (have some surgery on horizon myself), but most PTs are happy to give you homework so even if you can’t get in for proper sessions you will have home exercises to work on. 

GL mate

• Like 1

Sound like a real life need for a pistol brace! For real sucks but I'm sure it can be done but I almost think you might need to try shooting pistols with your other hand. It's easy for me to say that being right-handed but left eye dominant I can shoot pistols with either hand no problem. But I'm trying to imagine having a solid grip missing that section of the middle finger may make things difficult. How far down are you talking like between first and second knuckle?

The dr gave me some exercises to do in order to work the tendons back into shape mostly stretching my fingers out and trying to make a fist. The amputation is right at the first knuckle. He told me if I don’t get the movement back he may need to shorten the finger some more so it’s not in the way.

Friend, I wish I could offer some valuable advice that would help you, but I'm empty on anything for your situation. Do your recommended treatment regime, and do it as frequently as your therapist recommends. Darrel is right, follow therapist advice and ask about home frequency; as well as other exercises that might help.

The only even remotely similar issue I've had was a torn tendon in 3rd finger, the one above pinky.  Did all the required stuff, but still have a  bent finger. It will not straighten out and has a pronounced "hook" to it. Not bad, just a bit irritating at times. It does affect my grip just a bit. I have to be aware of my grip, but otherwise ok.

I offer my prayers for you recovery.

• Like 2

I had something different from you, but my grip strength was in bad shape for a long time.

Flexor-Tendon Grafts on 2 Fingers right hand in 1975 ... the injury was a result of an attempted carjacking. 

One of the bad guys had a knife. I grabbed it and disarmed him rather than letting him stab and possibly kill me ... but unlike a Hollywood movie knife attacks leave scars.

Before this I lifted weights 6 days a week, so I was very depressed and unsure of my future doing things I loved.

My hand was frozen with not much movement ...the Doctor was a head of his time. He did a great job and once he gave me the green light to work out again, I took my time.

My strength came back and about 90% of the movement in my fingers ... I was able to pull a 600-pound deadlift and bench press 485 pounds 10 years after the surgery.

Worked 25 years in Corrections City Jail to Supermax prison had many uses of force incidents using my right hand over the years ... this past Thursday I turned 70 years old and did a 315-pound bench press and pulled a 365-pound deadlift. Don't feel sorry for yourself, fight with everything you have to get back to where you were before this happened to you ... 

If you need help once they tell you can do stuff to strengthen your hand, I would be glad to share what worked for me. 

Edited by Kano
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Am very sorry to hear about your injury.

To offer up some hope. About ten or so years ago my trigger finger hit the blade on a turbine intake.  Hurt like holy heck.

Dr. said it would heal but not sure if full function would be restored.  Have function back in trigger finger now, took about three years.  However it is still quite stiff especially in cold weather.

Actually shot a couple of IDPA matches using middle finger as trigger finger while it was healing (after 6 months or so).  Awkward,  but it worked reasonably well (IDPA allows for some disabilities) 

Out of necessity,  I got enough practice shooting left handed to almost be as good as with my dominant right hand,

For those who have shot with me, please stop laughing  😀

So heal up and learn to adapt!!!

Make sure your are able to grip the handgun enough to be safe!!!

• Like 1

Staying positive about it is what it is can get mad about it or deal with it. Safety is my big thing I can’t stand to see unsafe gun handling (sure we all have) I also like to work on old cars so hand strength affects that to. I will get there may take longer than I like.

I had a wrist surgery and my hand was immobilized for a month. It took a few months to get my strength and flexibility up to 85% and maybe 6 months to feel like I was 100%. Your timeline could very well be similar but that atrophy/loss of flexibility is temporary once you start using it and start PT. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that. 

FWIW, I'll share 2 brief things to maybe add more hope.

I lost a chunk of my trigger finger to a piranha. Nothing as bad as what you're going through but mentally I worried a lot about regaining my mobility / dexterity. Fast forward and I'm 95% back to where I was. 

My father in law lost parts of his middle,ring, and pinky fingers in a sawmill accident. That tough sob is as decent as ever with a pistol.

You'll relearn it and be back in the game before you know it. Don't over exert physically and keep that positive mentality. Just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...

The fellow that taught the two NRA pistol courses I took and knew for many years was trying to show the proper way to fast change magazines and he was very fast, it was only then I realized he was missing a finger, he had completely compensated. He also shoots competitively at a high level usually finishing at the top or near the top in most competitions.

Dr is going to shorten the finger some more as soon as insurance approves it. The knuckle is no longer movable and the it get in the way of trying to do anything including my work. The way the finger is now I can’t use a 2 handed holding the finger hit the trigger guard. I can shoot left hand if I have to but not very well.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I shot today first time since losing my finger. Tryed my rough rider 22 my shield plus and my 1911. I was able to hold them all just fine but was shooting 6-8 inches low with all of them. Just have to re learn how to do a steady grip I could see myself moving around in the sights. To top it off my rock island 1911 factory mag ( KCI) came apart inside the gun. Required a block of wood and a mallet to get the slide stop to move and inbind the gun. I inserted the mag and ran the slide and it stayed in the slide lock position. Kimber mag did fine.

• Like 3