Rest. carry bill stalls

Guest 2HOW

Restaurant-Carry Bill Stalls in Tennessee: The guns-in-saloons bill has stalled in the state House tonight with lawmakers fighting over whether they should set a curfew for customers to surrender their weapons. The sponsor, Rep. Curry Todd, thinks handgun carriers should have to give up their guns at 11 p.m. "The NRA was OK with this," Todd told the House. The House voted 62-29 to add the curfew to the bill. But many Republicans objected even to this restriction on Second Amendment rights, and Rep. Brian Kelsey then offered an amendment to strip the provision. After Todd could muster only 32 votes to table that amendment, he withdrew the bill from the floor. He said he'd try again next Monday… He claimed his bill would curtail shootings presumably because criminals would quake in fear of all the licensed gunmen ready to spring into action. "I challenge anyone to tell me where they've had a shooting in a restaurant in any state that's passed this law," he said. (Note how a bill that is primarily oriented toward restaurants that serve alcohol has become the “guns-in-saloons bill.â€)

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/03/bar_gun_bill_stalls_in_house_i.php

---

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid
Restaurant-Carry Bill Stalls in Tennessee: The guns-in-saloons bill has stalled in the state House tonight with lawmakers fighting over whether they should set a curfew for customers to surrender their weapons. The sponsor, Rep. Curry Todd, thinks handgun carriers should have to give up their guns at 11 p.m. "The NRA was OK with this," Todd told the House. The House voted 62-29 to add the curfew to the bill. But many Republicans objected even to this restriction on Second Amendment rights, and Rep. Brian Kelsey then offered an amendment to strip the provision. After Todd could muster only 32 votes to table that amendment, he withdrew the bill from the floor. He said he'd try again next Monday… He claimed his bill would curtail shootings presumably because criminals would quake in fear of all the licensed gunmen ready to spring into action. "I challenge anyone to tell me where they've had a shooting in a restaurant in any state that's passed this law," he said. (Note how a bill that is primarily oriented toward restaurants that serve alcohol has become the “guns-in-saloons bill.â€)

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/03/bar_gun_bill_stalls_in_house_i.php

---

I obviously dislike the bill's 'nickname', i.e. "guns-in-saloons".

I also dislike the premise Rep. Todd proposed here, that many may take as the primary reason the bill is necessary.

Don't put out a challenge that can easily come back to bite us in the arse.

If you "challenge anyone to tell me where they've had a shooting in a restaurant in any state that's passed this law...", and use that logic as your reason for getting the bill passed, and someone digs up a shooting in a restaurant in one of those states, then your argument is debunked.

The argument should be, "These are law abiding citizens who wish to eat dinner at restaurants, without drinking alcoholic beverages, without having to leave their firearm in their vehicle (or at home), where it is not accessible, or could be easily stolen."

Guest kcnative

It seems to me he was talking not about people who shoot someone in a restaurant, but about permit-holders doing so, in a state where they were legally able to carry into the restaurant.

Guest Hyaloid
It seems to me he was talking not about people who shoot someone in a restaurant, but about permit-holders doing so, in a state where they were legally able to carry into the restaurant.

Ahhh, yes, I can see that.

However, my initial point stands, the fact that a permit holder hasn't shot up a restaurant is no argument upon which to base your desire to allow it in our state.

Guest tlondon

these few dont help our cause any. mainly the last one. It dont matter to the other side if the people involved where permit holders or not, it will get used against us.

Guest TNDixieGirl

The only problem I see with the links posted above, are that two of them are restaurants that don't serve alcohol. The other one sounds more like it's a bar, if the reader comment below it is correct about the dance floor.

None of those would seem relevant to the bill that we're trying to pass in TN.

When I watched him speaking, I took him to mean he challenged anyone to find a shooting involving a legal permit holder in those states where it's already legal for permit holders to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

And several of those guys I wanted to pat on the back for taking the stand they took. But for every logical person that spoke, 3 morons stood up and spoke too. I can't believe the way some of these idiots get up and asks the most basic questions revealing they have no CLUE how the handgun carry laws read right now. :rolleyes:

Guest benchpresspower

Guns in saloons? Jeez lets give the antigun nutters more to use against us why don't we. People just don't understand that self defense is not something that a hollywood writer just dreams up.

People just don't understand that self defense is not something that a hollywood writer just dreams up.

So you mean I'm not likely to get into a dual wield 1911 shootout in my favorite eating establishment with a roving gang of easily killed extras which will undoubtedly consist of at least one asian guy with a ponytail? Crap.

Guest benchpresspower
So you mean I'm not likely to get into a dual wield 1911 shootout in my favorite eating establishment with a roving gang of easily killed extras which will undoubtedly consist of at least one asian guy with a ponytail? Crap.

Exactly but you might have to pull your wand and duel with a wizard which in that case could very well happen lol:D:D:D

Guest VolGrad

Guys ... check out www.GeorgiaPacking.org .

We finally got a similar measure passed in GA last year. By "we" I mean GeorgiaCarry.org (www.GeorgiaCarry.org ).

We have tons of threads on our forum that discuss this topic ... from background research to sample letters to legislators to links to follow-up articles discussing how we haven't shot up anything since the law passed which allows us to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

This was originally in Georgia HB916 but later morphed into HB89. Use those as keywords for your search.

I hate that back flippin' bastard... With the price of ammo I can only afford to shoot stationary henchmen.

Yes the double backflip is definitely a hard one to hit Poak, but hopefully, if ammo prices lower, we could see them hit more in next year's game. Now back to Phil and Diane in the tower!