This is heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time

Links2k

I’ll be the first to put my toe in the water. I worked as an EMT for 12 years and everything on this video goes against the care I was trained to render. I would love to really unload on the police and medical staff, but fear of my comments living forever in print and could come back to bite me in the ass later. THE PROBLEM IS THAT SATAN IS ALIVE AND WELL AND FINDING PEOPLE WITH ANY MEASURE OF SHAME IS GETTING HARDER TO DO EVERY DAY. IN THE WORLD I GREW UP IN PEOPLE HAD THE DECENCY TO SHOW COMPASSION AND CARE. I FEAR CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS ARE ABOUT TO BE CALLED UPON. OMG THIS MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess I'll be the resident A-hole here but where the hell was her family when she was discharged ? There's selfies with her and her daughter? posted while in the hospital bed. No way I'm letting them set mom on the curb and me not be there to get her. That's the first tragedy in this incident. Im not dismissing the actions that followed but for her family to come on after and point fingers is unsettling. 

• Like 8

WTF? This woman is clearly in distress. The hospital kicked her out and then called the cops on her? There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. The hospital, the medical staff, the cops everybody was dead wrong. Some serious investigating and head rolling needs to happen! 🤬

This gonna go viral and make the national news. All Hell is gonna break loose. Once again Tennessee gets a black eye. ☹️

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

WTF? This woman is clearly in distress. The hospital kicked her out and then called the cops on her? There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. The hospital, the medical staff, the cops everybody was dead wrong. Some serious investigating and head rolling needs to happen! 🤬

This gonna go viral and make the national news. All Hell is gonna break loose. Once again Tennessee gets a black eye. ☹️

I’d like to hear why the DA hasn’t considered charges. Letting the cops investigate themselves will probably prove futile unless there is more public outcry.  This lady deserves justice!

@FUJIMOyou make a good point about the family. From my understanding she had previously suffered a stroke and was in the process of transitioning her life back to Tennessee. She appeared to have little use or strength on her left side. She fell ill on a plane prior to going to the hospital. There is so much negligence here it’s ridiculous. God bless that poor woman. 

29 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I guess I'll be the resident A-hole here but where the hell was her family when she was discharged ? There's selfies with her and her daughter? posted while in the hospital bed. No way I'm letting them set mom on the curb and me not be there to get her. That's the first tragedy in this incident. Im not dismissing the actions that followed but for her family to come on after and point fingers is unsettling. 

Time stamp on the video is Feb 5. That's 3 weeks ago and we're just now hearing about it? 

I take pride in the fact that this old fox has a pretty thick hide. Unlike some folks, very little offends me. But this! Not only am I seriously offend, I'm just flat PISSED OFF! 🤬

• Like 1

That was incredibly sad. I understand the police deal with people who are acting and making things seem worse but this woman was clearly struggling. They didn't show an ounce of compassion. Jail is the last place that woman needed to be. 

I'm not sure what happened to protect and serve but we seem to stray further from that every day. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’d like to hear why the DA hasn’t considered charges. Letting the cops investigate themselves will probably prove futile unless there is more public outcry.  This lady deserves justice!

@FUJIMOyou make a good point about the family. From my understanding she had previously suffered a stroke and was in the process of transitioning her life back to Tennessee. She appeared to have little use or strength on her left side. She fell ill on a plane prior to going to the hospital. There is so much negligence here it’s ridiculous. God bless that poor woman. 

According to DA Allen per this morning news the officers involved were not directly involved with her eventual death. She had a stroke and passed the next day or 2. 

I'll not go deeper into what I know about the story as I've followed it since day 1. All ill say is all is not as it appears. Besides im pretty sure GrayFox couldn't bare it lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

According to DA Allen per this morning news the officers involved were not directly involved with her eventual death. She had a stroke and passed the next day or 2. 

I'll not go deeper into what I know about the story as I've followed it since day 1. All ill say is all is not as it appears. Besides im pretty sure GrayFox couldn't bare it lol.

Every officer involved was responsible for this woman’s death. It’s every officer’s responsibility to stop wrongdoings of fellow officers. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I guess I'll be the resident A-hole here but where the hell was her family when she was discharged ? There's selfies with her and her daughter? posted while in the hospital bed. No way I'm letting them set mom on the curb and me not be there to get her. That's the first tragedy in this incident.

I am gona be an A hole as well, NO WAY AM I GOING TO LET MY MOM SIT AND WAIT!!!

I could not watch all of the video, blood pressure and all.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Links2k, I found the long version too once I knew what I was looking for. What a terrible situation. I don't care what kind of information those officers were operating on, there's no excuse for treating an old lady like that. She was clearly not well and I'd love to hear how the ER justifies kicking her out and calling the cops on her.

• Like 2

There may be no criminal charges over this, but I suspect that some heads are going to roll at both the hospital and at KPD. 

I also suspect that there will be some additional training for all personnel, to handle these types of situations in the future. 

My personal take on this is we need some sort of group within KPD, that handles these types of situations, other than beat LEOs.

Edited by Moped

This is a hospital issue. Two hospitals released her and the police were called. They have no reason to believe both hospitals were wrong and she acted just like a drug seeker. She just so happened to have a real medical problem. There may or may not also be some history that we don't know about. I expect the police to take someone in need to a hospital, but in this case she had just been to two. How many hospitals do we want the cops visit in a case like this? It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't for them in a case like this. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

This is a hospital issue. Two hospitals released her and the police were called. They have no reason to believe both hospitals were wrong and she acted just like a drug seeker. She just so happened to have a real medical problem. There may or may not also be some history that we don't know about. I expect the police to take someone in need to a hospital, but in this case she had just been to two. How many hospitals do we want the cops visit in a case like this? It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't for them in a case like this. 

This is all true however the way they spoke to and treated her was unacceptable. Being decent to an elderly woman shouldn't be difficult. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

In local news Miss Edwards had come to area months earlier by bus then showed up at at least two hospitals displaying drug seeking behavior Medical Doctors did what they could and released  they. asked if she wanted a taxi she refused. Then refused to leave was asked multiple times Police arrived and asked her to leave area again  she refused a arrest resulted while in route is became unresponsive and was again taken to another hospital. The   DA and and independent counsel have determined no. wrong doing we have Great Law enforcement Firefighters and EMTs in East Tn and should be thankful for them     Support your local officer’s the people you go to church with and live next door to.  They sure could use it   Nice hit piece  but of course it didn’t tell but one side of story 

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Like 2

The woman's family lives out of state.  She used to live here. Had moved up to the NE US.  She had a stroke in 2019.  Thus the photos with her family in a hospital.  She decided to come back to East TN to live with a friend.  On the flight back she started feeling unwell and was taken to the first hospital.  

The woman wasn't able to do anything for herself or think coherently enough to get a ride... plus she knows she still needs medical help. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel said:

The woman's family lives out of state.  She used to live here. Had moved up to the NE US.  She had a stroke in 2019.  Thus the photos with her family in a hospital.  She decided to come back to East TN to live with a friend.  On the flight back she started feeling unwell and was taken to the first hospital.  

The woman wasn't able to do anything for herself or think coherently enough to get a ride... plus she knows she still needs medical help. 

Her son and DIL have been interviewed by ever local tv station in the last month since it happened. They certainly appear to have made themselves available locally all of a sudden. No time to bring mom to Tn ? Also been stated more than once her DIL , August, sat down to watch the bodycam footage with the DA where her son refused to. She didn't just decide to hop a plane she was living in a nursing home in RI and they are the ones who arranged the flight here. DIL stated on camera she was in her right mind and was able to do for herself. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Her son and DIL have been interviewed by ever local tv station in the last month since it happened. They certainly appear to have made themselves available locally all of a sudden. No time to bring mom to Tn ? Also been stated more than once her DIL , August, sat down to watch the bodycam footage with the DA where her son refused to. She didn't just decide to hop a plane she was living in a nursing home in RI and they are the ones who arranged the flight here. DIL stated on camera she was in her right mind and was able to do for herself. 

Let’s concede that everything you say is true. I’ll agree that there may be negligence on behalf of the family.

I read in one of the stories someone said the deceased had previously visited a hospital and exhibited drug like behavior. What kind of diagnosis is that? Sounds more like an opinion. So, we’ve established the family my be negligent, what about the subhuman behavior exhibited by law enforcement on the scene? That’s the real issue here. The total lack of empathy by public servants towards a human being. An elder worthy of dignity and respect. 

• Like 3

She's a big lady. They had problems lifting her into the truck. When they did get her in she got herself out. Probably would have gone down differently if she'd been a 17 to 50 year old man.  I will say they used unprofessional language that wasn't called for. I understand their frustration and people talk to police like they are dogs, but police need to maintain professionalism. I couldn't do it. 

Except for language, what should they have done differently? Should they tell all of the doctors in both hospitals..." Hey I know you guys have PhDs, but I'm a cop and I'm more qualified in the medical field than you"

Educate me. I've been wrong before and I will again, but the arguments seem emotionally based. You're the cop What would you do.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

She's a big lady. They had problems lifting her into the truck. When they did get her in she got herself out. Probably would have gone down differently if she'd been a 17 to 50 year old man.  I will say they used unprofessional language that wasn't called for. I understand their frustration and people talk to police like they are dogs, but police need to maintain professionalism. I couldn't do it. 

Except for language, what should they have done differently? Should they tell all of the doctors in both hospitals..." Hey I know you guys have PhDs, but I'm a cop and I'm more qualified in the medical field than you"

Educate me. I've been wrong before and I will again, but the arguments seem emotionally based. You're the cop What would you do.

First and foremost when you’re in a position of power and authority you have a responsibility to remain professional. Yeah, cops get sh*t on. That comes with the territory. They know that when they take the job. None are forced to serve. 

I’m allowing everything you say to justify the cops behavior. Yes, she was a big woman, but if you look at the video she obviously could not control her own body weight. Maybe it was medical, maybe it was “drug behavior” as been speculated. Maybe just like with the killer cops of Tyre Nichols it’s their culture to behave in the manner that we observed on video. 

The cops were the emotional ones on scene. Yelling about coffee, oatmeal and getting a uniform soiled. They even threatened to pile on charges. Their immediate response was arrest for noncompliance instead of taking a moment to assess the situation. When the deceased passed out in the back of the patrol unit, the cop pulls her hair to lift her up.  What’s right about that?  If they behave like that on a trespassing call, how do they handle more serious crimes?

The cops had no control over what the hospital or the doctors decided, but there is nothing that says they couldn’t call an ambulance for someone who appeared to be in distress. They simply wanted to end the interaction as soon as possible with no concern about the deceased medical complaints.

It’s the attention to detail that’s required on every call. Yeah, the job gets monotonous. Yes, they’re seen this a hundred times before. Yes, people claim to to be ill to avoid jail, but at the end of the day just like there are no routine traffic stops, every interaction with a citizen should be treated as unique. If they’re too lazy or too burnt out to do the job properly they should find a job more in line with their skills and education. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1