This is heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time

Links2k

15 minutes ago, Links2k said:

First and foremost when you’re in a position of power and authority you have a responsibility to remain professional. Yeah, cops get sh*t on. That comes with the territory. They know that when they take the job. None are forced to serve. 
Agreed 

I’m allowing everything you say to justify the cops behavior. Yes, she was a big woman, but if you look at the video she obviously could not control her own body weight. Maybe it was medical, maybe it was “drug behavior” as been speculated. Maybe just like with the killer cops of Tyre Nichols it’s their culture to behave in the manner that we observed on video. 
When the video starts, they are asking her to leave. We don't know what happened in the hospital or prior. She may or may not have been able. It would be logical to assume the hospitals were telling the truth. Her demise could have been caused by any number of things. We just don't know. Not even close to the Nichols murder. 

The cops were the emotional ones on scene. Yelling about coffee, oatmeal and getting a uniform soiled. They even threatened to pile on charges. Their immediate response was arrest for noncompliance instead of taking a moment to assess the situation. When the deceased passed out in the back of the patrol unit, the cop pulls her hair to lift her up.  What’s right about that?  If they behave like that on a trespassing call, how do they handle more serious crimes?
They asked her multiple times before threatening arrest. 

The cops had no control over what the hospital or the doctors decided, but there is nothing that says they couldn’t call an ambulance for someone who appeared to be in distress. They simply wanted to end the interaction as soon as possible with no concern about the deceased medical complaints.

She'd be kicked out of two hospitals. Where do you want the ambulance to take her?

It’s the attention to detail that’s required on every call. Yeah, the job gets monotonous. Yes, they’re seen this a hundred times before. Yes, people claim to to be ill to avoid jail, but at the end of the day just like there are no routine traffic stops, every interaction with a citizen should be treated as unique. If they’re too lazy or too burnt out to do the job properly they should find a job more in line with their skills and education.

Agreed

I appreciate the response. There's just so much about this interaction not available. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Does this woman's family live in the local Knoxville area?

Local news stations have interviewed 2 of her sons and her daughter in law. They, the stations, have made it appear as though they live in this area. Let's assume they don't for the sake of argument, she was suppose to be moving back to TN to move in with a friend. This was according to the DIL. If that were the case and she was just discharged from a nursing home in RI common sense says someone in her condition would probably need someone at the airport to pick her up. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

JMHO..... but I think the hospital failed the woman for not trying to give her the medical attention she was seeking and needed. Instead they just kick her out to the curb.

She was admitted, treated, and discharged the next day. What more do you expect a hospital to do ? 

• Like 1

This strikes close to home for me. There's a real prejudice against big people. Ok, fat folks. My late wife always was a kinda big girl. But when she got sick and the side effects of the medicines she was on, she gained a ton of weight. Her size almost doubled. She couldn't help it. Wasn't her fault. It was the meds. She hated being like that, but there was nothing she could do. 

I began to notice. Everywhere you go. People see a fat person and automatically assume that they're just a fat, lazy slob. They sneer,  judge and instantly get a bad attitude toward that person.  I think that's what happened here. The doctors, nurses and especially the cops took one look at this woman and decided she just wasn't worth their time and effort. No one considered that she had a history of serious health issues and just maybe she couldn't help being as big as she was. 

I believe that prejudice is what happened here. And that's why is pisses me off so bad. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

Let’s concede that everything you say is true. I’ll agree that there may be negligence on behalf of the family.

I read in one of the stories someone said the deceased had previously visited a hospital and exhibited drug like behavior. What kind of diagnosis is that? Sounds more like an opinion. So, we’ve established the family my be negligent, what about the subhuman behavior exhibited by law enforcement on the scene? That’s the real issue here. The total lack of empathy by public servants towards a human being. An elder worthy of dignity and respect. 

What follows is my opinion, be aware,lol. If I were a cop and got a call for that violation to that area I would assume I'm entering an environment where you are going to have a hostile and possibly combatant individual. Where this occurred has been steadily growing with homelessness, auto break ins, robberies, mugging, etc. A lot of it occurring with UT students and or hospital faculty. So I imagine when the call came in they assumed a certain attitude going in on how to handle it. Now advocating for that or condoning that, just assuming. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

This strikes close to home for me. There's a real prejudice against big people. Ok, fat folks. My late wife always was a kinda big girl. But when she got sick and the side effects of the medicines she was on, she gained a ton of weight. Her size almost doubled. She couldn't help it. Wasn't her fault. It was the meds. She hated being like that, but there was nothing she could do. 

I began to notice. Everywhere you go. People see a fat person and automatically assume that they're just a fat, lazy slob. They sneer,  judge and instantly get a bad attitude toward that person.  I think that's what happened here. The doctors, nurses and especially the cops took one look at this woman and decided she just wasn't worth their time and effort. No one considered that she had a history of serious health issues and just maybe she couldn't help being as big as she was. 

I believe that prejudice is what happened here. And that's why is pisses me off so bad. 

Have you ever had to deal with an overweight elderly person that has given up ? To the point where they will literally defecate and urinate on themselves and not care ? And this is a completely coherent person not one with a mental illness. Ive dealt with this and its a very pitiful but also frustrating situation. When they can but won't help themselves.  I feel like we are seeing something similar to this here.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I mean honestly the cops couldn't physically pick her up. It would be the same if it was 330 lb muscle bound weightlifter. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I would like to point out that this statement stands above your opinion @bersaguy.

I agree, she has feelings and should be treated with respect regardless of what she did or didn't do wrong to get herself into that condition and that's not just @bersaguy's opinion, it's a fact.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, TGO David said:

2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Local news stations have interviewed 2 of her sons and her daughter in law. They, the stations, have made it appear as though they live in this area. Let's assume they don't for the sake of argument, she was suppose to be moving back to TN to move in with a friend. This was according to the DIL. If that were the case and she was just discharged from a nursing home in RI common sense says someone in her condition would probably need someone at the airport to pick her up. 

Well, that's interesting and unfortunately makes me wonder if her adult children weren't contacted by the hospital or were contacted by the hospital and declined to assist.

It is probably safe to say that we aren't hearing all of the details here, and that we are incensed by what we have seen in the police video which, as disturbing as it is to folks with gentle sensibilities, tells one facet of the story.

I'm glad I am not a cop.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Well, that's interesting and unfortunately makes me wonder if her adult children weren't contacted by the hospital or were contacted by the hospital and declined to assist.

It is probably safe to say that we aren't hearing all of the details here, and that we are incensed by what we have seen in the police video which, as disturbing as it is to folks with gentle sensibilities, tells one facet of the story.

I'm glad I am not a cop.

I've been involved in elder care the last 10 years. To tell me no one was contacted sends my BS meter into the red zone. Now calling and getting a "you handle her" could be a detail yet to come out.

I'm right there with you on the cop or the emt workers for that matter

Edited by FUJIMO
Added something
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

According to Newsweek the family lives in Rhode Island and the deceased was planning a move back to Tennessee to live with a friend. Edwards had her own wheelchair due to a stroke and broken ankle, but it was left at the airport when Edwards was taken to the hospital after leaving the plane. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwigo5ahlbn9AhVQlGoFHVY4C_QQvOMEKAB6BAgLEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Flisa-edwards-knoxville-police-family-statement-belong-hell-tennessee-1784312&usg=AOvVaw3V8BlIAgco783j6tJiITSC

Edited by Links2k
Added Newsweek link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The story is getting around. I saw it on Inside Edition on TV this afternoon. Family says their gonna sue. 

Suing doesn't bring grandma / mom back, but it could offset funeral expenses and likely will line the pockets of some family members who could have helped her more than they did.   I guess that seems awfully negative of me, but people are a predictable species.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Suing doesn't bring grandma / mom back, but it could offset funeral expenses and likely will line the pockets of some family members who could have helped her more than they did.   I guess that seems awfully negative of me, but people are a predictable species.

So true 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

A Gofundme was set up to cover and exceed any costs involved. Latest news says family has hired a "high profile" attorney to explore their options. As someone with first hand knowledge of  "angels of mercy" in nursing facilities this falls right in that vein.. You're negativity must be contagious cause I've got a huge case of it over here lol. We aren't alone, comments from the family since it broke nationwide suggest people have been flaming their ass for not being with mom. Someone, anyone , friend or family, to be their in her time of need. 

17 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Regardless of where her family was or why they weren't there, there's no excuse for the way the hospital and police treated that woman. None at all! 🤬

Family or friends being there could have saved her life from what you consider negligent treatment by the hospital and police. 

• Like 2

After doin a bit of watching; sadly, I'm beginning to believe that this poor woman's family search for justice is nothin more than an opportunity to make a few dollars thru a " nuisance " settlement or " wrongful death " settlement with the city n hospital.  

They are taking one wrong and turning it into an opportunity for cash.    We need hospitals; we need police.  This  angling for a " settlement " will hurt both, including this poor woman's memory.  SIGH.

I'ma thinkin they care no more than to pocket some cash... It's a truly sad scene.  It is also very wrong.

leroy...

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1