Best Options for Securing Handgun in Car

Honestly the best security for a gun in a vehicle is common sense.Don’t have any stickers,decals or anything else on your vehicle that would indicate there is a gun inside.This includes the Gadsden “don’t tread on me” vanity license plate.Last but not least,lock your doors.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

Hello Friends -

What would you suggest is the best way to secure a handgun in the car?  What has worked best for you?  There are several lock boxes out there, but before buying one I would like to depend on the experience and expertise of my TGO family.

Thank you for your help!

I went with a vehicle-specific lock box that mounts with the OEM seat bolts kind of like this one. Several companies make them, but Bestop & Tuffy are the my favorites.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 190956.jpg

• Like 1

Either go big here, or keep it on you.  The bolted box is where it's at.  A cable can be cut in seconds.  I never leave my pistola anywhere.  If it can't go ( I understand the " work " thing, I'm retired though. ), I can't go.  They don't call it concealed carry for nothin.

leroy...

• Like 2

My underneath seat area is too small for a lock box.  I have one secured by a cable in the rear cargo area but rarely use it, as it’s not convenient.  I rarely leave my gun in car.  Exception would include the post office for  5 min inside trip, with my car locked and gun out of site.  I would love to have a custom box under the seat if in the console for this, but  would never leave the gun in permenamt;y like many apparently do.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:32 AM, leroy said:

Either go big here, or keep it on you.  The bolted box is where it's at.  A cable can be cut in seconds.  I never leave my pistola anywhere.  If it can't go ( I understand the " work " thing, I'm retired though. ), I can't go.  They don't call it concealed carry for nothin.

leroy...

not always practical.  Some have children and must go to school functions.  Some enjoy high school games, concerts, etc.  Post Office is also a no go for firearms.

• Like 1

A bolted box is the best reasonable option*, but a bolted box doesn't work on every vehicle and smash-n-grab thieves don't often carry bolt/cable cutters. A cable-tied box is a reasonable alternative, IMO. I wouldn't leave a $3000 custom piece in one, but if someone steals my $400 Glock, I really don't care. It's easily replaced. I'll be more upset about having to deal with the shop to fix the vehicle damage caused by the break-in.

If a thief knows it's there and comes prepared with cable snips, he could just as easily come prepared with a battery drill and some sockets and pull the whole seat off in < 30 seconds to take the bolted box.

Cable-tied boxes are also handy for travel. I can put my handgun in it in my checked baggage, and I have a place to keep it in the rental car if needed.

*The absolute best would be to have something welded in place. But that's not reasonable for very many people.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, chances R said:

not always practical.  Some have children and must go to school functions.  Some enjoy high school games, concerts, etc.  Post Office is also a no go for firearms.

Do what ya will... Folks let their work trucks sit out with tools in em all the time.  Some get broken into n some don't. 

I've had 2 pistols stole from personal n work vehicles over my 50 or so years; got one of em back.

The point is; that if it's in the vehicle and not in a bolted down and sturdy lock box, your pistola will most likely be gone.   

leroy...