Selling Firearms Is Painful

DesertRanger

I hate selling firearms. I regret selling all but one- a Taurus .380. It was truly awful. Other than that, I regret every one. That said, I come to the realization every so often that it’s getting out of hand- like when I open a case and have to think hard to remember where and when I bought a certain one. When that happens, I try to use logic to decide when, if ever, I would use the particular firearm. I did that exercise Friday night and decided that three of them could go. I listed the first and then talked myself out of selling the other two. That didn’t take long. 
Then, Sunday morning another member added an endorsement for the particular gun that I did list to help me sell it. As I read how much he likes the gun, I thought “I’d sure like to have one of those…”. Wait a second- I have one of those- why am I trying to sell something that I want and already have. It’s still listed for sale, but only under protest. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m thinking about a purge. The heirlooms are staying but the other handful probably just need to go. If those go I’ve got my eye on one bbq style then I’m done shuffling. 
The ones I buy new usually hang around a long time. The used ones get flipped. I’m to the point where I’m done flipping.

Edited by jhc77
  • Like 1

As I’ve explained to my wife (repeatedly), it’s not my fault- my son was the manager of a gun store in East Tennessee. He would call me and say “Come to the store and bring $150” or “Get here in 20 minutes and bring $250”. A father’s duty to his children is great- I had to go along with him or risk hurting his self-esteem. See? Not my fault at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, DesertRanger said:

As I’ve explained to my wife (repeatedly), it’s not my fault- my son was the manager of a gun store in East Tennessee. He would call me and say “Come to the store and bring $150” or “Get here in 20 minutes and bring $250”. A father’s duty to his children is great- I had to go along with him or risk hurting his self-esteem. See? Not my fault at all.

with great power...

you're a good father, supporting your sons business. it's only natural order.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

I’m thinking about a purge. The heirlooms are staying but the other handful probably just need to go. If those go I’ve got my eye on one bbq style then I’m done shuffling. 
The ones I buy new usually hand around a long time. The used ones get flipped. I’m to the point where I’m done flipping.

I’m with you. I have pretty much what I want and like, and I’m a lot more picky with what I buy now. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

Honestly, it's probably a good thing I have a wife. Otherwise I would just be sitting on gunsafes watching football on a 110" tv, eating funyuns and Ramen.

Sounds good to me! As for selling guns, Nancy Reagan said it best…”Just Say No!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep a log in Excel of my inventory, probably too much detail for the average Joe, I do address who, what, when, where, and why for each acquired item.  Within my detail, I do have a column named keeper score, where a 1 is a dog and 10 will probably be buried with me in my dead hands (a joke).  Anyway I use to have a strict rule, never ever get rid of a gun because of the same reasons most people tell of the regret.  I started that practice 30+ years ago, and I do try to acquire at least 1 per year for some sad reason to fill a missing niche, so I probably have a respectful collection.  Anyway, when my father passed away 5 years ago, and he split his mild collection between my brother and me, I had to make a hard decision, and decided any gun with a score of 3 or lower had to go, so they did.  The problem I used the funds to buy new keeper score guns of 8, 9, and 10s.  The good thing it was not a 1:1 ratio, but more of a 5:1, so I turned several $200+ guns into 1 big purchased gun.  I do have a rule, all gun money stays in the same bucket of money, I do not use family money for my hobby, nor do I use my hobby money for family items (not yet). 

I do have to reassess my logic in the next 10 years, if my sons do not find interest in my collection, I would rather sell off at near market value versus my wife or sons selling them off for mere pennies on the dollars, and that would cause me to roll over multiple times in my grave.  There is something about grown men will take a bath on trading or selling a used car/truck, but the same grown men will not tolerate any loss on a gun whatsoever, go figure!  

• Like 1

Funny that I read this today, cuz I just listed a few guns that I thought would be keepers.

Yea it sucks to sell them, but sometimes my taste changes and I want something new.

I like to keep some of the inventory fresh-lol

A couple years ago I went through my safe with the idea of getting rid of a few that I rarely shoot. The trouble is, I didn't want to be rid of any of them. I have a couple that I will likely never shoot, but I'm not going to sell them under any circumstances that I can foresee. I have slowed my acquisition rate, though.

• Like 1

I don’t worry too much about selling them. I’ve got 3 kids and 6 grandkids that know the combination to my safe. They have laid claims to most everything in there. That lets me justify keeping them and the wife don’t fuss as much. 

I do regret selling every car I’ve ever sold. I’m 66 and my first car was a 1964 impala SS. Probably worth $50,000 today. 

When I was a very young man and first getting into guns, it was gotta sell one to buy one. Stupidly, I was also very much influenced by the gun magazines and hot for the the latest and greatest on the market.  I sold a lot of guns I regretted letting go. 🙄

Fortunately those days are long behind me. I've even replaced most of the ones I sold. 😉 OTOH, I have guns that haven't been shot in years. There just always seems to be something else taking priority or another project in the works. I just don't get around to them. ☹️

Now days I only sell a gun for a reason. Most often that reason is that I bought something that it turned out I didn't like it or it didn't like me. Mainly, I just couldn't shoot it worth a damn. 🙄

But as I get older, I am starting to think about thinning the herd. Having dealt with estates before, I know what a PITA it is. I want to spare my sons as much trouble  as possible. The time will come, but I'll probably give it a few more years. 😉

Only two I do not regret selling, a cheap SA .22 revolver that was out of time and the .38 spl derringer I traded for it. these were my first wo handguns when I turned 21. The derringer would have been fine if I'd known not to shoot +P through it.

Lost three when I went through a divorce, lawyers are expensive. Traded a few. now I won't sell any. Might trade if something high on my list comes up but then it will be another regret. My kids will get all of mine.

2 hours ago, papa61 said:

Only two I do not regret selling, a cheap SA .22 revolver that was out of time and the .38 spl derringer I traded for it. these were my first wo handguns when I turned 21. The derringer would have been fine if I'd known not to shoot +P through it.

Lost three when I went through a divorce, lawyers are expensive. Traded a few. now I won't sell any. Might trade if something high on my list comes up but then it will be another regret. My kids will get all of mine.

You sparked a memory of my first handgun. I had just moved to Memphis and a guy I was in school with was telling me where to stay away from and where was safe-a complicated issue when you’re not from there. He asked “what gun do you carry?” I confessed that I didn’t. He said “ you have to have a gun-this is Memphis”. He sold me a Rossi stainless steel .38 spl with Pachmayr grips for $100. It was my backup when I worked LE. It goes to the range once a year. I just replaced the firing pin last Fall and she’s back to factory spec. I tried to sell it once at the Knoxville gun show, but the guy changed his mind. I was so glad he did as I drove home. It won’t be up for sale until I’m gone- even then my son will probably want it. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Honestly, it's probably a good thing I have a wife. Otherwise I would just be sitting on gunsafes watching football on a 110" tv, eating funyuns and Ramen.

How'd you know what I had for supper? 

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, DesertRanger said:

I hate selling firearms. I regret selling all but one- a Taurus .380. It was truly awful. Other than that, I regret every one. That said, I come to the realization every so often that it’s getting out of hand- like when I open a case and have to think hard to remember where and when I bought a certain one. When that happens, I try to use logic to decide when, if ever, I would use the particular firearm. I did that exercise Friday night and decided that three of them could go. I listed the first and then talked myself out of selling the other two. That didn’t take long. 
Then, Sunday morning another member added an endorsement for the particular gun that I did list to help me sell it. As I read how much he likes the gun, I thought “I’d sure like to have one of those…”. Wait a second- I have one of those- why am I trying to sell something that I want and already have. It’s still listed for sale, but only under protest. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes. 'Nuff said!

Like others  there are some  I regret selling buy most I have sold were because I wanted to try them and didn’t like it or I got it for a great price and knew I could flip it for a profit.I did a major sell off between 2008/2010 for financial reasons.

This photo represents my basic philosophy on having enough firearms when I was younger.  Now in my fifties imagine the same philosophy only now I use a “tactical” trailer being pulled by my turbo diesel Willys jeep(Roxor) or my ATV.  Note: I’ve both acclimated to my age and physical limitations, while additionally ever increasing the number of “tools” should they become necessary.  Make a mental note: I have no offspring, find my grave after my passing to survive any conceivable disaster scenario 😉

D08D2DF1-47A1-4B59-911B-193B37C3E646.jpeg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

Make a mental note: I have no offspring, find my grave after my passing to survive any conceivable disaster scenario 😉

🤫🤐🤔

So I am up for adoption!!!

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

This photo represents my basic philosophy on having enough firearms when I was younger.  Now in my fifties imagine the same philosophy only now I use a “tactical” trailer being pulled by my turbo diesel Willys jeep(Roxor) or my ATV.  Note: I’ve both acclimated to my age and physical limitations, while additionally ever increasing the number of “tools” should they become necessary.  Make a mental note: I have no offspring, find my grave after my passing to survive any conceivable disaster scenario 😉

D08D2DF1-47A1-4B59-911B-193B37C3E646.jpeg

Whatever you gave the floating guy in the background,  send me a pkg of that. 

• Haha 1