Broken allen wrench in set screw

On 2/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, peejman said:

Lots of good ideas. I'll add trying a spring loaded center punch.  That plus some penetrating oil might help pop that tip loose. 

I was thinking something similar, get a sharp scribe, something hard and needle-like for a tip, Pick a likely spot on that set screw and lightly tap in the counter-clockwise direction in the hopes of turning the allen wrench just a hair so it will ease up where it's stuck in the flats. And Kroil. Kroil may not help in THIS case, but it won't hurt.

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Don't worry about the broken Allen wrench. Very likely that set screw has lock-tite on it. Apply some heat (not too much) and try to remove the entire set screw. Good methods have already been mentioned. 

I've ordered a set of extractors and left hand bits. Hoping those show up this weekend to test it with. In the meantime I'm gonna pick up a soldering pen locally.

• 1 month later...

I bought some titanium bits to try and drill out enough material to get a removal tool in there, but the bits barely made a dent (ate the bits). then i got busy and haven't looked back. You've renewed my interest now, so i'm going to buy better quality bits this weekend 🙂

Edited by NoBanStan
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:40 AM, NoBanStan said:

I bought some titanium bits to try and drill out enough material to get a removal tool in there, but the bits barely made a dent (ate the bits). then i got busy and haven't looked back. You've renewed my interest now, so i'm going to buy better quality bits this weekend 🙂

Well what was the out come?

• Sad 1

Don't get me started.....

Short version: I bought cobalt drill bits, came home to start the work....wth, where is my cabinet key?? Wife and son had been using my keyring and suddenly it's gone. I don't have a backup. So now a month later, I've gone through the wringer with the company to get a new key shipped out.

This is my life.

58 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Don't get me started.....

Short version: I bought cobalt drill bits, came home to start the work....wth, where is my cabinet key?? Wife and son had been using my keyring and suddenly it's gone. I don't have a backup. So now a month later, I've gone through the wringer with the company to get a new key shipped out.

This is my life.

WOW, WHAT A MESS

1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

If it helps, I've been safe shopping today....

I'm gonna be so jealous when it shows up...

Screenshot 2022-10-11 131319.jpg

you'll be able to fit every Hi-Point and Taurus you own in that bad boy and have room left over.

Edited by BigK
fixt a tie-po
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
8 hours ago, BigK said:

I'm gonna be so jealous when it shows up...

Screenshot 2022-10-11 131319.jpg

you'll be able to fit every Hi-Point and Taurus you own in that bad boy and have room left over.

and still wont be big enough!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

the real scary part is that the entire ring is gone, so i don't know what other key is missing....

oof, learning what's missing the hard way is almost as scary as wondering who has all your keys and whether they know where you live.

• 2 weeks later...

So, you have a dimple in the broken Allen wrench piece.  Take a fine nail set, spring loaded center punch... Heck, even a finish nail and tap on it with a steel hammer hoping the vibration will unwedge the broken piece.

Alternatively, use the dimple to drill through the Allen wrench piece. Use a small drill bit and go slow with little to moderate pressure. Let the drill bit do the work.  Push to hard, and it'll snap adding to the bad situation. That set of Allen wrenches you purchased are soft... They shouldn't twist off like that. Then, use the next size larger bit until you can get a screw extractor to bite well.  Use little to moderate pressure removing the piece.

After the Allen wrench piece is removed, you may want to try tapping in the largest Torx bit you can to remove the set screw.  Use a small amount of heat if no plastic is around.  I couldn't tell what it is you are working on or the material surrounding it.

Take your time.  Don't get frustrated.

Edited by drdirtnap

I had a similar issue in a lower… I was tapping the hole for the rear detent spring to put a set screw in it and the tap broke off flush with the (aluminum) lower receiver. Drill bits kept walking off to the side because of the super hard tap and I was in jeopardy of destroying the lower. Lots of expletives later, I settled on using a Dremel and a tiny diamond bit for cutting glass to push down directly into the center. You could do this to get a good hole started 1/4" deep or so, THEN use the cobalt bits or a left hand bit/ EZOut to finish the job.

Good luck.

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 4.02.00 PM.png

15 hours ago, Nicemac said:

I had a similar issue in a lower… I was tapping the hole for the rear detent spring to put a set screw in it and the tap broke off flush with the (aluminum) lower receiver. Drill bits kept walking off to the side because of the super hard tap and I was in jeopardy of destroying the lower. Lots of expletives later, I settled on using a Dremel and a tiny diamond bit for cutting glass to push down directly into the center. You could do this to get a good hole started 1/4" deep or so, THEN use the cobalt bits or a left hand bit/ EZOut to finish the job.

Good luck.

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 4.02.00 PM.png

For just couple $$ more, you can get a whole set of these type bits. They are cheap Chinese crap, but there is enough diamond dust on them to cut small hardened stuff like this hex key.