Smith & Wesson M&P FPC

billmeek

Someone over on P-F.com posted about it last week, but there were no reviews or pics of it, but one and that one apparently got taken down quickly. This is the first I'm seeing of it.  Looks like the stole the design from Keltec but moved the hinge from the top to the side, which is smart, in my opinion, because now you can mount an optic and leave it on.

Unless it they make a version that's Glock mag friendly, I will not be looking at it.  I'm not a M&P fanboy.  And somehow, I don't see S&W doing that.

Unless you are a M&P person with a bunch of mags around I would think one of the other Glock mag options would be a better option.  Not to mention if you are going 16" you could get a lot more potential out of a rifle caliber.

The FCP folding latch is easier to deploy than the Sub 2000.  You can just unfold it by friction. But you can move the charging handle to make it easier to unfold.

The trigger group isn't made of plastic, so it should not wear out and need replacement like the Sub 2000.

Being able to leave the dot sight on it is a big issue for me.  Yes, you can buy aftermarket accessories for the Sub 2000.  But the last time I checked, it wasn't cheap.

As for a rifle caliber, what options fold up into a package this small?

It's a minor thing, but I like that Ruger provides a bag that has no branding on it whatsoever.  So it's not apparent as to what it contains.

Since there is no forward magwell (it's in the grip) to swap out, it would not be easy to make it take other mags.  I too have several Glock mags and would like to use them.  But that's not a reason for me not to consider the FCP.  The FPC comes with 3 mags: One 17-round and (2) 23-round.  63 rounds (plus whatever sidearm you carry) should be enough for most situations.  

One thing I didn't like is that reassembly after field stripping you need a hammer and a dowel (or non-marring punch) to get the bolt back in place.

Thanks Snaveba.  Watched that and 4 other video reviews last night.   Leaning towards purchasing one after it's been out awhile and getting feedback from owners rather than just reviewers.  His gripe about the mag release is a training issue.  And on the safety, leave it off when folding the FCP if it's a problem for you as an extra deployment step.  He did that once without mentioning it.

• Like 1

Honest Outlaw's other big gripe was the spacers on the mags that provide a full size grip and keep the mags from being over-inserted.  The reason for the spacers being removable is for compatibility with the M&P pistols.  Imagine the M&P compact owners cries if the FPC mags didn't work with their pistols.

2 hours ago, billmeek said:

Honest Outlaw's other big gripe was the spacers on the mags that provide a full size grip and keep the mags from being over-inserted.  The reason for the spacers being removable is for compatibility with the M&P pistols.  Imagine the M&P compact owners cries if the FPC mags didn't work with their pistols.

I think they're smart about the mag compatibility. There have been a number of PCCs/handfuns I've ignored because my mags wouldn't work in the new version. The Scorpion being the prime example. Why on earth are the new mags backwards compatible with older models and not visa versa.

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's hard as hell to sell old magazines to recoup for buying a new set.

*Edit* phone turned handguns into handfuns... But I kinda like it, so the typo will stay.

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

I think they're smart about the mag compatibility. There have been a number of PCCs/handfuns I've ignored because my mags wouldn't work in the new version. The Scorpion being the prime example. Why on earth are the new mags backwards compatible with older models and not visa versa.

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's hard as hell to sell old magazines to recoup for buying a new set.

*Edit* phone turned handguns into handfuns... But I kinda like it, so the typo will stay.

Yep...I liked it as well! 

Now in reference to the mag issues on the Scorpion, I'm not familiar with the issue. But a solution would, I think, been to have bought multiple mags back years past  and not need to search for more! 😇

I know people who do such strange things.

7 hours ago, billmeek said:

As for a rifle caliber, what options fold up into a package this small?

Keltec actually makes an underfolding .223 carbine, the SU16C I think. That's the closest I can think of without forgoing folding entirely and just getting an AR pistol or something. It's not really a replacement for this though, pistol and rifle cartridges each have their pros and cons.

That said, I've been thinking of getting a Keltec Sub2k for ages. This S&W really sounds like an improvement, other than the price. Hopefully I have the opportunity to see one in person at some point. I watched a couple reviews, including Honest Outlaw's, and most of the gripes seem revolve around the bolt release and the extra mag holder system. The mag deployment system in the stock seems functional enough but would need practice- I've seen a method by pulling the tab to pull out the mag rather than pushing the opposite side, and it seems much easier than what Honest Outlaw showed. The bolt release being stiff and poorly positioned doesn't matter if your usual manual of arms is to pull the charging handle.

I wonder if they would release versions in 10mm or 5.7, and be able to share mags with the pistol versions. That would be pretty tempting.

2 hours ago, hipower said:

Yep...I liked it as well! 

Now in reference to the mag issues on the Scorpion, I'm not familiar with the issue. But a solution would, I think, been to have bought multiple mags back years past  and not need to search for more! 😇

I know people who do such strange things.

that's the issue though. New scorpion, new mags. The old mags won't work on the new gun, but the NEW mags work on the old guns. Don't that just beat all?

I should add that I never bought CZ's actual magazines anyways.... Manticore and Magpul did a better job

Edited by NoBanStan
4 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

that's the issue though. New scorpion, new mags. The old mags won't work on the new gun, but the NEW mags work on the old guns. Don't that just beat all?

I should add that I never bought CZ's actual magazines anyways.... Manticore and Magpul did a better job

Never had any Magpul or Manticore mags, so I cannot comment on them. 

But I am familiar with topsy-turvy mag issues. Walther did it to me with the standard PPQ vs PDP models; then again on the FS vs compact on the PDP.

It's just a plan to sell more! I swear it is!

• Like 2

I never wanted a sub2000 until they got expensive. Go figure right?

Definitely get the appeal of this S&W. Being able to leave an optic on is great for instance. For me though, i'm looking for a folding beater gun that i can throw in a box and use if i need it. So the cheaper, the better.

When you start getting into $650-$700 range, then i start wondering why i'm not buying something nicer.

#cheapbutnothighpoint

• Like 2
On 3/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, NoBanStan said:

I never wanted a sub2000 until they got expensive. Go figure right?

Definitely get the appeal of this S&W. Being able to leave an optic on is great for instance. For me though, i'm looking for a folding beater gun that i can throw in a box and use if i need it. So the cheaper, the better.

When you start getting into $650-$700 range, then i start wondering why i'm not buying something nicer.

#cheapbutnothighpoint

On an impulse, I bought a HighPoint rifle in 45acp. Still in box. LOL!

Maybe someday I'll take it out. Maybe. Or just break down and sell or trade it.

Never know with me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...