OLD Gunpowder question.

I recently bought a collection of handguns and rifles from a widowed friend.  Along with the guns, I bought the reloading equipment, brass and supplies.  I reloaded shotgun rounds for years, but pistol and rifle round reloading is a bit new to me.   

The lot contained a half dozen bottles and cans of half used and unopened container of gunpowder/propellant.

?Is there any "safe" way I can test the contents of the open containers?

The net suggested if it smells like 'vinegar' it is bad.  (none do).  

I'm hoping for some suggestions and guidance, while I complete my new member 10 message madate.

My apologies if this subject has been covered before.  Thanks in advance.

The sniff test is the best way to tell. I've had some cans of powder for many years with no noticeable degradation.  If smells good and looks good, and if the caps are not discolored or damaged, then the powder is probably good.

If it were me, I'd probably dispose of any cans that are nearly empty anyway, and I'd load low-pressure loads with the powder I kept. Keep track of your loads and pay attention when you shoot.

• Like 2

I agree with the sniff test. Discoloration may also be an indicator.

I think a lot depends on how the powder was stored.

I have a partial can of Hercules 2400 I purchased in the early 1990's and used it to load some .357 late last year. Worked fine and chronoed the same as previous loads from long ago.

But my powder has been stored in a climate controlled environment all that time.

I'm glad the gear went to someone that will appreciate it and put it to good use.

• Like 1

Powder can last quite a while.  My biggest concern would be lot to lot variation and has the manufacturer changed the recipe.  I recently finished some 10 year N320 and opened a fairly new can.  I had to reduce the charge .3 grains to get the same velocity.  

• Like 2

Wow,  I thanks everyone who replied to my post.  Great info!  I believe I have a better handle on what to do.

I believe I'll put together some light load in 9mm (since I have a LOT of brass and bullets not) and give them a try at the range.  Thanks Again!

• Like 1

One other thing - If you don't have a couple of reloading manuals for metallic cartridges - by all means buy a couple and read them. IMO, this is very important to the safety and enjoyment of the reloading endeavors.

I always recommend the Lyman Manual for a 1st manual because they list suggested loads for both cast bullets and jacketed ones. Also, there's good illustrations and explanations for what you'll be doing. Hornady, Speer, and Sierra also market good reference manuals.

WYT-P

Skyhunter

I’m still loading surplus powder, bought 150#,  purchased in the 1990’s.  I load it to spec factory ammo using the Schuster device.  What type of powder…who knows.  For .30-06 it takes around 46 grains to match factory loads.

• Like 1