Leather work gloves

I've been interested in getting a nice set of leather work gloves. Something solid that will last if maintained. It seems that most places just sell cheap leather or some kind of tactical junk. Any thoughts from the community?

Edited by TripleGGG

I use leather gloves every day, if working with smoth material the gloves will last a good bit, months. However if working with cut and split fire wood the seams and finger tip will wear fast. days. When working with brick and block, the finger tips will wear out in hours.

I have half a dozen pair around, bought at different places over time, all are worn and seams pulled apart. I have learned to buy at a fair price and more than one pair at a time.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

These “HydraHyde” gloves by Wells Lamont are on the shelf at Lowe’s and have become my favorite over the last several years.  Whatever they treat them with really seems to toughen the leather up while still staying soft.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wells-Lamont-HydraHyde-Large-Mens-Leather-Multipurpose-Gloves/1000380323

I don’t use gloves on a daily basis - but I’d call myself a heavy weekly user.  I just bought my third pair in maybe 6 years - the second pair is still fine.  I wore the first pair out.

They’re typically around $15 so they won’t break the bank

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
59 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

It seems like i'm always replacing gloves.

I don’t know that you’ll totally get away from that.  I‘d love to have a  nice pair of leather gloves with all kinds of character like you see in the old western movies.  But there’s a reason you only see those in the movies - because they’re not real.

If we’re using gloves to protect our hands - then they’re a consumable item and we should think of them like that.

So then it’s down to balancing “how do I consume these less frequently at a reasonable price point.“ The gloves I posted above meet that criteria for me. They’re super comfortable, and it doesn’t make me viscerally angry to have to replace them. I can’t even count how many mechanic type gloves I’ve worn out over the years after less than a day of use. Paying 25 or 30 bucks for a “heavy duty” pair just makes you mad when they wear out. 

I keep two types of gloves around. The ones I posted above, and a $20 box of nitrile gloves that I use when I just want to keep my hands clean. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know that you’ll totally get away from that.  I‘d love to have a  nice pair of leather gloves with all kinds of character like you see in the old western movies.  But there’s a reason you only see those in the movies - because they’re not real.

If we’re using gloves to protect our hands - then they’re a consumable item and we should think of them like that.

So then it’s down to balancing “how do I consume these less frequently at a reasonable price point.“ The gloves I posted above meet that criteria for me. They’re super comfortable, and it doesn’t make me viscerally angry to have to replace them. I can’t even count how many mechanic type gloves I’ve worn out over the years after less than a day of use. Paying 25 or 30 bucks for a “heavy duty” pair just makes you mad when they wear out. 

I keep two types of gloves around. The ones I posted above, and a $20 box of nitrile gloves that I use when I just want to keep my hands clean. 

Yup, I may be chasing a red herring. I just figured there's probably some professional users who would say "i stake my reputation on this brand/type".

3 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Yup, I may be chasing a red herring. I just figured there's probably some professional users who would say "i stake my reputation on this brand/type".

I'd stake your reputation on something, but I'm not risking mine. LOL

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team

I've used the ones above in size medium and size large.  I don't notice a huge difference.

I take them off if I'm getting something out of my pocket - but other than that I'm usually able to leave them on.  If I'm writing/marking - it's probably with a construction pencil - and I use one that clips on my pocket or tool belt and can simple be dropped down into the holder.

While I'm here - let me go ahead and make a pitch for the greatest construction pencil ever...

https://www.amazon.com/Pica-Dry-Longlife-Automatic-Pencil-3030/dp/B002X7Y90U 

@peejmanif you've not used one of these - you should get one - the whole design of the thing just brings a smile to any engineer's face.

• Like 3

Things to consider...  

Dexterity... Ya can't beat goatskin for dexterity.  In the old days, our TIG welding guys used goatskin.  Go to the nearest welding supply store and get the right size n the right price.  They are very reasonably priced. 

Second; if you work, that is: Carry concrete blocks, stone, bricks, manure, shovel, dig, swing a sledge hammer, set poles, climb poles, do wire rigging; expect your gloves to wear out, no matter the price if they are leather. They are sacrificial garments to save your hands.

If you wear your gloves to drive, ride horses, ATVs, etc; they are an " accessory ", not a primarily protective clothing; they will last just fine.  Spend as much as your pride in ownership quotient allows...

By the way, this info is brought to you via an old curmudgeon, who has worked in jobs where ya can wear out a pair of gloves a day.

Lastly, Wells Lamont leather palm/ canvas " White Mule " gloves used to be the best ya could by if you " worked "... Mine used to last about a week before the fingers wore thru back in the hod carrying/ brickwork days.

retired ( thankfully ) leroy, the glove man...

• Like 3

I literally have $600 Titanium armored, reinforced leather gloves that are supposed to protect me from ludicrous levels of impact & unforeseeable drama. I have $350 reinforced leather rechargeable heated gloves that are supposed to provide insane abrasion protection.  I have & actually use daily $5 goatskin gloves that fit my medium sized hands with fantastic comfort and as Leroy said- Dexterity.  I’ve met Leroy and can tell you that he is the man when it comes down to his body of knowledge.  No matter the glove, they are a sacrificial garment, an expendable commodity that you can’t design or price your way out of.  (BTW, that’s my second set of titaniums-even that doesn’t outlast everything and $5 goatskins in medium on up are available at harbor freight 😉 -including the hardy brand ones in my photo).

C50D1352-DBD5-447E-99D2-4B8B2575F830.jpeg

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

I literally have $600 Titanium armored, reinforced leather gloves that are supposed to protect me from ludicrous levels of impact & unforeseeable drama. I have $350 reinforced leather rechargeable heated gloves that are supposed to provide insane abrasion protection.  I have & actually use daily $5 goatskin gloves that fit my medium sized hands with fantastic comfort and as Leroy said- Dexterity.  I’ve met Leroy and can tell you that he is the man when it comes down to his body of knowledge.  No matter the glove, they are a sacrificial garment, an expendable commodity that you can’t design or price your way out of.  (BTW, that’s my second set of titaniums-even that doesn’t outlast everything and $5 goatskins in medium on up are available at harbor freight 😉 -including the hardy brand ones in my photo).

Those are some Mad Max looking lobster armor 😄

I agree with Leroy, the more i think on it, Dexterity is the way to go for my use case.

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, CMDRStormBorn said:

LOL! I ain’t likely to take part in any activity that would necessitate a $600 pair of gloves.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! I ain’t likely to take part in any activity that would necessitate a $600 pair of gloves.

Probably, a wise decision for most people. This old link is the only copy of the video of said activity that I can lay hands on at the moment.  Been through a lot of computers since then. But, if your curious… watch the video and pay attention to the speedometer when my front wheel finally comes down. https://youtu.be/oqJbWiCxUc0    (You actually get quite stable over 140 mph or so, the air tunnel becomes solid and sucks you low against the body- but still if you go off your machine- ya want a pair of titanium gloves if you prefer the use and personable ownership of ‘hands’).

55 minutes ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

...  but still if you go off your machine- ya want a pair of titanium gloves if you prefer the use and personable ownership of ‘hands’).

At that speed, even if the miracle gloves actually work, that'll be the only part of you still working. 😆

Hard to beat the harbor freight ones when they run them on sale. Had a pair that lasted real good until I had to pull up a house fully of old carpet. That carpet backing really took a toll and they were worn out. I cut the finger tips out and now I look like the cool guys on TV, LOL. 

I have a tough time finding the XXL size. Sometimes the harbor freight ones fit, sometimes not. They do sell some at Home depot that come in xxl and they actually last pretty good, about $15.