Favorite chicken marinade

That sounds good.  I bet that is very similar in taste to one I like.  It is hot pepper jelly and dijon mustard mixed together.  Makes a real nice glaze when you are grilling.

As far as a marinade here is one my wife and I really like.

2 bottles of teriyaki marinade

1 can crushed pineapple

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup or more of hot sauce

1/4 cup lemon juice.

Blend it up and pour it over chicken that has been tenderized with a jaccard.  After it marinates throw it on the smoker for 30-40 minutes.  Delicious.

• Like 2

Marinading takes more forethought than i can usually manage, but i like the Allegro brand marinades, very savory. Be aware the bottles do not have any sort of restriction in the lid, so it comes out really fast. 

My quick and easy thing is just Italian salad dressing. Slice breasts into tenders, brush on some Italian dressing and grill. My family likes that pretty well. 

I discovered jerk chicken in Jamaica 20+ years ago.  I had never heard of it and it didn't sound particularly appealing, but I was hooked when I tried it.  I have no idea how to make the seasoning itself, but be warned - it will always be spicey, but can sometimes get quite warm.  I like spice, but not heat.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, peejman said:

My quick and easy thing is just Italian salad dressing. Slice breasts into tenders, brush on some Italian dressing and grill. My family likes that pretty well. 

You are so right!  Italian salad dressing will wake up the taste of a relatively bland fish like bass or crappie, too,

I use Italian Dressing for quick stuff, but my favorite is a white vinegar, olive oil, melted butter, salt, and pepper mixture.  Mix it half vinegar/half oil and then about a tablespoon of melted butter (for help browning), a tablespoon or so of kosher salt and as much pepper as you like.  You will have to keep mixing it as you use it.   Don't marinate the chicken in it, just brine the chicken and then start basting/mopping it on the chicken with the mixture as soon as you put it on the grill.  I have yet to have one person that doesn't like it.   It's best on chicken that has the skin on it, but works great on all.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Orange juice overnight.  Add your favorite rub,grill or your method of cooking.  I got this from a Manager of the Kenny Rogers Roasters which was always packed,don't know why they closed.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I discovered jerk chicken in Jamaica 20+ years ago.  I had never heard of it and it didn't sound particularly appealing, but I was hooked when I tried it.  I have no idea how to make the seasoning itself, but be warned - it will always be spicey, but can sometimes get quite warm.  I like spice, but not heat.  

What Jerk seasoning do you guys like?  I don't mind if it's spicy but, not too spicy for the rest of my family. 

22 minutes ago, peejman said:

What Jerk seasoning do you guys like?  I don't mind if it's spicy but, not too spicy for the rest of my family. 

Plain old McCormick is the most common.  Sometimes it can be hard to find.  You can adjust the heat by using more or less seasoning.  It's usually not blazing hot, though, or I wouldn't like it.  Sometimes I'll marinate a batch of jerk and a separate batch with chipotle or mesquite seasoning for my daughter.  

You can swap regular cooking oil for the olive oil.  Also, I usually try to use low salt soy sauce.

Now I'm hungry lol

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Plain old McCormick is the most common.  Sometimes it can be hard to find.  You can adjust the heat by using more or less seasoning.  It's usually not blazing hot, though, or I wouldn't like it.  Sometimes I'll marinate a batch of jerk and a separate batch with chipotle or mesquite seasoning for my daughter.  

You can swap regular cooking oil for the olive oil.  Also, I usually try to use low salt soy sauce.

Now I'm hungry lol

Do you use a wet or dry jerk marinade?

This “jerk” chicken will blow you away, especially if you use it like I did a couple of times years ago.  It doesn’t have allspice like most jerk does, so maybe semi-jerk.  I also used the whole concoction on 1 lb of chicken breasts, not 3 whole chickens, lol.

E1E91A3D-2B1D-461B-BE8A-E5B548FB8EB0.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

This “jerk” chicken will blow you away, especially if you use it like I did a couple of times years ago.  It doesn’t have allspice like most jerk does, so maybe semi-jerk.  I also used the whole concoction on 1 lb of chicken breasts, not 3 whole chickens, lol.

That sounds awesome. 

22 hours ago, Garufa said:

10 large habenero peppers.....  🔥🔥

26 minutes ago, peejman said:

10 large habenero peppers.....  🔥🔥

It was the 90’s.  I was young and daring.  Fresh habaneros were not common and I didn’t know about removing seeds and ribs, so I just used dried ones…whole, lol. I think this recipe was designed by a sadist or it was some kind of misprint.  

Now that a few years of wisdom have passed, gonna see how this can be tweaked to something edible.

I’m a huge fan of hot & spicy but habaneros just don’t do it for me.  Not a fan of the flavor.  Maybe half the peppers, fresh and properly prepared, and not those nasty orange ones.  Gotta find some red ones that have a fruitiness to them.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

It was the 90’s.  I was young and daring.  Fresh habaneros were not common and I didn’t know about removing seeds and ribs, so I just used dried ones…whole, lol. I think this recipe was designed by a sadist or it was some kind of misprint.  

Now that a few years of wisdom have passed, gonna see how this can be tweaked to something edible.

I thought that sounded pretty powerful.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:14 PM, peejman said:

Never tried this as a part of a marinade but I like a little sprinkled on some of my wife's to tame dishes TN Jerk from Varden's TN Spice company in Knoxville they make their own and have a full line of spices.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeb48 said:

Never tried this as a part of a marinade but I like a little sprinkled on some of my wife's to tame dishes TN Jerk from Varden's TN Spice company in Knoxville they make their own and have a full line of spices.

I just picked up some Olde Virden’s Tennessee Jerk a couple of weeks ago.  Powerful stuff, probably best used for cooking!  

It’s a Knoxville outfit that uses a lot of locally grown peppers.  Got hooked on their Red Hot blend a couple of years ago…that’s great on pizza & spaghetti.  

https://oldevirdens.com/

Edited by Garufa
12 hours ago, Garufa said:

I just picked up some Olde Virden’s Tennessee Jerk a couple of weeks ago.  Powerful stuff, probably best used for cooking!  

It’s a Knoxville outfit that uses a lot of locally grown peppers.  Got hooked on their Red Hot blend a couple of years ago…that’s great on pizza & spaghetti.  

https://oldevirdens.com/

Yes, I love the red hot on Italian stuff as well. I'll look for the jerk seasoning