Ruger American Predator issue

Hey guys. I recently acquired a Ruger American Predator rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Beautiful Boyd’s stock. It is supposed to be relatively new. After 6 rounds at the range the bolt shroud popped off, along with the firing pin. After researching this a bit it seems to be the cheap bolt aground made of plastic that Ruger uses. Several companies make a replacement in aluminum and titanium. Ruger wants me to ship the rifle in to them. I just wander if buying one of the “metal” bolt shrouds and installing it would fix my issue. I would much rather pay the 40-70 buck for the upgraded part than to pay 50-100 bucks for shipping to Ruger and get a new plastic shroud installed under warranty. Just seeing if anyone had experienced this same issue on the Ruger American series of rifles and what was your “fix”. Also advice would help. Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't aware of that issue with the American, but I'll keep my eye out now. I have one in .300 Blackout. I've put a 100+ through it thus far without an issue but the metal upgrade replacement sounds like the route I would take if it ever happens to mine.

I always prefer metal over plastic when it comes to guns and motorcycles. Sadly, both industries have gone plastic on many components, obviously to keep cost down to both sides ... the consumer and the manufacturer.

I haven't heard of this happening with Rugers, but it was a common & well documented issue with the older Tikka T3s.

The T3x that replaced it came from the factory with an aluminum shroud that solved the problem & lots of folks with T3s replaced the plastic with aluminum & apparently fixed the issue.

I would imagine that the Ruger should be the same, since bolt disassembly is basically identical. Get the metal.