Cornbread

Garufa

I don’t really have a recipe, I just make it. I use a can of cream style corn, jalapeños, sour cream(have it most of the time instead of buttermilk), an egg, milk, oil and cornmeal. Most importantly NO SUGAR. 

Get an iron skillet screaming hot. Pour the mix in it and bake at 450 till done.  

• Like 1

1 cup self rising flour

1 cup corn meal

1 tsp salt

6 TBSP melted butter

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 TBSP (or so) vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400. Oil bottom of skillet (cast iron) and place in preheating oven.

Mix flour, meal, salt, milk, beaten eggs, and melted butter in bowl. Put mixture in heated, oiled skillet and bake 20-25 minutes. (Half recipe for small skillet.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FUJIMO said:

We all can't run to the pantry and get out our Paula Deen journal like Greg 🤣

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife wrote in on a piece of paper and attached it to the side of the refrigerator with a magnet just for me.😎

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

As far as mixes go, Martha White made a Cotton Pickin Cornbread mix that wasn’t bad. I assume they went woke and changed the name recently. I guess their Cotton Country Cornbread mix replaced it?

Cotton Country sucks.  It’s white corn.

They still make my old favorite Mexican style that I had to go to Walmart to find.  There they have also have MW’s “Sweet Yellow”.  Haven’t tried that yet.

Tonight is was just Jiffy.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Sweet cornbread is blasphemy, but if you insist anyway, feel free to add some sugar to the recipe I posted.

No sugar!  I ain’t no yankee.  I want yellow corn.  It does appear that there is sugar in the MW sweet.  I shall bake it and let the wife eat it.  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10" cast iron skillet, oven at 425F.

1.5 cup buttermilk or whole milk

2 eggs, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 cup melted butter

2 cups fresh ground corn meal 

Melt the butter in the skillet on the stove top, which also warms and greases the skillet. Mix everything except the corn meal and butter. Then add the corn meal, then the butter. 

Pour into the skillet and bake for 30 mins or until its done in the middle. 

Gluten free.  And yes, we have a grinder and make our own cornmeal. 

• Like 3

I love cornbread.  When I was a child and very, very poor, Mama would make cakes of it.  For breakfast crumbled up with milk and sugar.  At supper to sop up gravy.  And dessert, Karo syrup and butter with cornbread.

Good stuff . . .

Thank you all and God bless you for the memory.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

I love cornbread.  When I was a child and very, very poor, Mama would make cakes of it.  For breakfast crumbled up with milk and sugar.  At supper to sop up gravy.  And dessert, Karo syrup and butter with cornbread.

Good stuff . . .

Post your recipe.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

Good stuff . . .

Many of our favorite and best foods originated with necessity.  I hope you can now savor the simplicity of cornbread with enjoyment rather than need.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted or bacon grease

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal or polenta

1 tablespoon sugar (optional - doesn’t make it sweet)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup buttermilk

2 large eggs

This is for your big cast iron.  Half it and use a smaller 6” cast iron.

Buttermilk is the key ingredient. If I’m being particular- use King Arthur all purpose flour and the best cornmeal you can find.

Pro tip - stick your cast iron in the oven and melt your butter in the cast iron.  Pour the rest of your batter over it once hot.  Don’t mix it.  You’ll get a great crust that way. 

Made this the other evening along with a big pot of red beans and rice for several homeless guys.  Several mentioned that it was the best meal they’d had all season. There is joy in good simplicity.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Many of our favorite and best foods originated with necessity.  I hope you can now savor the simplicity of cornbread with enjoyment rather than need.

Garufa, what a kind and generous comment.  I humbly thank you.

I make cornbread today, A LOT, because it does bring me enjoyment.  The memory of growing up in a house in Chattanooga so cold my mother and I sat in the kitchen on winter nights using the oven to heat us before we ran as fast as we could to the back bedroom to jump under covers so heavy you thought they would smother you.  But so WARM!

I made a pot of pinto beans last week and a cake of cornbread along with some turnip greens from the freezer.  As my wife and I ate I told her stories of my mother and my youth, and we smiled.  And I shed a few tears.  There was a simplicity then that I miss today.  Life was not "us against them"; didn't matter who was Democrat or Republican; we just wondered how they were doing with their burdens and prayed for them  Yes, there are smiles when I think of my past and how at 67 years of age, I find great meaning.

So for Mom's recipe, here's the best I replicate:

2 cups of stone ground cornmeal - white or yellow; whatever we could get

1 tsp. of soda and baking powder

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs

Buttermilk - as much as was needed to make the mix not too thin, but pourable

Bacon grease - LOTS of bacon grease; for the pan and the recipe

Mom would get the bacon grease so hot in the skillet in the oven (400 degrees) and she would add a little bit of Crisco or Hormel lard.  When she opened the oven and threw a few drops of water in the skillet that it popped loudly, she would bring out the skillet with all the grease and pour it into the cornmeal batter.  You knew it was enough and right when it sizzled loudly!  Mom would mix it up, pour it back into the skillet and put it all back in the oven for about 45 minutes.  Because the iron skillet was perfectly seasoned the cake of bread would plop out perfectly and I'd have to wait for it to cool before Mom would cut a slice and split it with butter.  And from that moment, absolute heaven in your mouth.

I am shedding a tear or two as I write this.  Mom died in 2017 and to recall her cornbread with all of you brings me great joy.

Thank you . . .

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, joe4vol said:

I don’t really have a recipe, I just make it. I use a can of cream style corn, jalapeños, sour cream(have it most of the time instead of buttermilk), an egg, milk, oil and cornmeal. Most importantly NO SUGAR. 

Get an iron skillet screaming hot. Pour the mix in it and bake at 450 till done.  

Mmmkay.... but your gonna need to gimme some measurements here.

I ADORE Mexican cornbread (especially with taco seaoning & a little bacon crumbled up in the batter) but the only recipes I've ever found for home made (or the packet stuff) contain flour & being a genetic failure, I can't eat gluten.

I really need to find a cornmeal only recipe using cream corn & jalapenos.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

I ADORE Mexican cornbread (especially with taco seaoning & a little bacon crumbled up in the batter) but the only recipes I've ever found for home made (or the packet stuff) contain flour & being a genetic failure, I can't eat gluten.

Don’t make it difficult. Just replace the wheat flour with more corn meal.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Luckyforward said:

Garufa, what a kind and generous comment.  I humbly thank you.

I make cornbread today, A LOT, because it does bring me enjoyment.  The memory of growing up in a house in Chattanooga so cold my mother and I sat in the kitchen on winter nights using the oven to heat us before we ran as fast as we could to the back bedroom to jump under covers so heavy you thought they would smother you.  But so WARM!

I made a pot of pinto beans last week and a cake of cornbread along with some turnip greens from the freezer.  As my wife and I ate I told her stories of my mother and my youth, and we smiled.  And I shed a few tears.  There was a simplicity then that I miss today.  Life was not "us against them"; didn't matter who was Democrat or Republican; we just wondered how they were doing with their burdens and prayed for them  Yes, there are smiles when I think of my past and how at 67 years of age, I find great meaning.

So for Mom's recipe, here's the best I replicate:

2 cups of stone ground cornmeal - white or yellow; whatever we could get

1 tsp. of soda and baking powder

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs

Buttermilk - as much as was needed to make the mix not too thin, but pourable

Bacon grease - LOTS of bacon grease; for the pan and the recipe

Mom would get the bacon grease so hot in the skillet in the oven (400 degrees) and she would add a little bit of Crisco or Hormel lard.  When she opened the oven and threw a few drops of water in the skillet that it popped loudly, she would bring out the skillet with all the grease and pour it into the cornmeal batter.  You knew it was enough and right when it sizzled loudly!  Mom would mix it up, pour it back into the skillet and put it all back in the oven for about 45 minutes.  Because the iron skillet was perfectly seasoned the cake of bread would plop out perfectly and I'd have to wait for it to cool before Mom would cut a slice and split it with butter.  And from that moment, absolute heaven in your mouth.

I am shedding a tear or two as I write this.  Mom died in 2017 and to recall her cornbread with all of you brings me great joy.

Thank you . . .

That pretty much how I make cornbread,minus the salt and baking powder.My mother taught me,her grandmother taught her and her husband my great grandfather taught her because she couldn’t cook when he married her.Long story short,our family recipes are my great grandfather’s😂

11 hours ago, peejman said:

Melt the butter in the skillet on the stove top, which also warms and greases the skillet. Mix everything except the corn meal and butter. Then add the corn meal, then the butter. 

9 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

11 hours ago, peejman said:

Rob!!! ☝️ Peejman took care of you! Enjoy my friend! 🙂 

I use the recipe on the back of the Three Rivers Cornmeal bag. I do add just a bit more liquid, as I think the recipe as is, is too dry after cooking,

As for the sugar no sugar argument, I like it either way! I ain't picky unlike others here.  And my waistline proves that.

Also, I believe most mixes, if not all, use sugar,

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

And to make it perfectly clear, "Jiffy" cornbread out of a box is not cornbread.

I confess to using a box of Jiffy far too often out of convenience and it eats just fine with a pot of beans or pot roast. Don't judge me too harshly and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 🤪

Edited by BigK
  • Haha 3