Cornbread

Garufa

5 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

And to make it perfectly clear, "Jiffy" cornbread out of a box is not cornbread.

Jiffy has it place. It will never replace homemade cornbread. We do love it for making cornbread muffins. Mix it up and cook in a muffin tin. They go great with white beans and onions. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

Mmmkay.... but your gonna need to gimme some measurements here.

I ADORE Mexican cornbread (especially with taco seaoning & a little bacon crumbled up in the batter) but the only recipes I've ever found for home made (or the packet stuff) contain flour & being a genetic failure, I can't eat gluten.

I really need to find a cornmeal only recipe using cream corn & jalapenos.

8 hours ago, Moped said:

Rob!!! ☝️ Peejman took care of you! Enjoy my friend! 🙂 

I use the recipe on the back of the Three Rivers Cornmeal bag. I do add just a bit more liquid, as I think the recipe as is, is too dry after cooking,

As for the sugar no sugar argument, I like it either way! I ain't picky unlike others here.  And my waistline proves that.

Also, I believe most mixes, if not all, use sugar,

Rob... my wife is gluten free, hence no flour.  For Mexican, just add some finely chopped peppers and shredded cheese to the above.  

The sugar in ours doesn't make it sweet like Jiffy mix. I usually give cornbread a good dousing with honey or molasses so a little sugar in the mix doesn't wag the needle. 

Best cornbread memories I have are of my grandmother's vegetable soup at Christmas.  Pretty big family on her side so there would be 25-30 of us.  She'd make a huge stock pot of vegetable soup for dinner. She grew up in the depression so her soup was really, really thin.  But that didn't matter because there was plenty of cornbread to crumble in your bowl, and another piece with some molasses for dessert.  She passed away 8 or 10 years ago, and the big family meals went with her. Good memories. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Admin Team

Jiffy has a place in the Southern lexicon at least as much as Martha White or White Lily. It’s not my idea of “cornbread” - but it’s great as a muffin.  I like mixing up a couple of boxes and cooking it in a loaf pan.  Then I like to slice it, butter it up, and then toast it up in a skillet.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I love cornbread but please Lord keep the sugar out of it 

LOL!! My paterna Grandmother would agree with you. Her cornbreads ranged from the traditional for "sopping up bean juice" to HOT peppered breads. They were all great.

However...my Maternal Granny loved sweet cornbread. Loved it with pinto beans and onions. I actually think I preffered it that way. The last I ate was a bit sweet, not heavily sugared, but enough to be quite good.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BigK said:

I confess to using a box of Jiffy far too often out of convenience and it eats just fine with a pot of beans or pot roast. Don't judge me too harshly and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 🤪

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do . . .👌

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Jiffy has a place in the Southern lexicon at least as much as Martha White or White Lily. It’s not my idea of “cornbread” - but it’s great as a muffin.  I like mixing up a couple of boxes and cooking it in a loaf pan.  Then I like to slice it, butter it up, and then toast it up in a skillet.  

Now that does sound good.  Then add some honey from the skillet.  I bet it would be a good dessert!

• Like 1

FWIW, somebody be eatin that Jiffy Mix cornbread because they churn out around 2 million boxes of that stuff per day. I watched a show featuring their business from its beginnings in 1930 until now . Amazing 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

RECIPE PLEASE!

Start with a skillet of the cornbread I posted earlier.

2 cups boiled yellow squash, drained

1 med onion (diced)

1 can mushroom soup

2 cups crumbled cornbread

1 stick butter

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Place in greased 2.8 liter (8x11) dish/pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

We’ll boil excess squash during growing season and freeze 2 cups each in ziplock bags. This is great sautéed with onions, and for this recipe.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 3
44 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

By the way, I want to thank each of you for your kind sentiments as I shared my past with my mom and cornbread.

I am always awed by the care I find on TGO.

Family is what it’s all about, my friend! One of my kids is in college in another town. The other married and moved off. We love the fact they and their wife and girlfriend see fit to go to church service every Sunday and then come to our house for Sunday dinner. It is the highlight of my wife’s week. I enjoy it as well. We are the old folks now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Family is what it’s all about, my friend! One of my kids is in college in another town. The other married and moved off. We love the fact they and their wife and girlfriend see fit to go to church service every Sunday and then come to our house for Sunday dinner. It is the highlight of my wife’s week. I enjoy it as well. We are the old folks now. 

ABSOLUTELY!  Love and genuine care for friends and family are the only things in this life that we will carry to the next.  There is so much in this world that can divide, we need to focus on what keeps us together.  Even if its cornbread and squash casserole.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Start with a skillet of the cornbread I posted earlier.

2 cups boiled yellow squash, drained

1 med onion (diced)

1 can mushroom soup

2 cups crumbled cornbread

1 stick butter

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Place in greased 2.8 liter (8x11) dish/pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

We’ll boil excess squash during growing season and freeze 2 cups each in ziplock bags. This is great sautéed with onions, and for this recipe.

I will be making this!  Sounds fabulous!

• Like 2

@MacGyver @gregintenn ....  I'll try to revisit this when the squash starts coming in.

Mom made squash casserole a lot when I was a kid.  I love you Mom, but your squash casserole is terrible. Runny, slimy, over cooked... 🤢   

I'll try to remember to give this a shot.  Normally I either grill or sautee squash with onions, but I like a good casserole. 

23 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My friend...I sorely miss gatherings like that. We are pretty much alone now. It hurts to think of it.

• Like 1

No need to over complicate things. Get 2 packs of the Martha White cotton country cornbread mix and make it according to the southern egg bread recipe on the package, adding about 2tbsp of sugar. Get a deep cast iron skillet and put roughly 1/4" of oil in the bottom. Pour in enough yellow cornmeal to cover the bottom of the skillet. Heat and slightly brown the cornmeal and remove from heat. Dump in the cornbread batter and put in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes.