Cornbread

Garufa

12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Well, did you have any luck?

Haven't done anything yet.  Gotta get the fixins and apparently I sinned when last using the iron skillet many years ago; didn't put it away correctly and it's gonna need some work.

• Like 1

Its great that you gentlemen have such a variety of skills to share. This is one of my favorite posts of all time. 

The flourless recipes have inspired me to pull out our skillet to see just what trouble I can manage.

While I have loved traditional cornbread forever, years ago I found one my wife would eat (she doesn't like traditional) at Trader Joe's. It combined another thing I love, Pumpkin. Hopefully not considered sacrilege since its a squash,  it definitely aligns to a dessert option not all would enjoy.

I'll give one of the standard flourless' a try first to gauge texture and moisture for additions. LIke I needed an excuse 😄

Appreciate the inspiration!

One of the forums I frequent (I think it was an ADV motorcycle forum) had a good recipe thread going for a long time. One day we were talking about squirrel dumplins and venison recipes and what not and this one fella asked if we'd every had crawdad cornbread. I am a sucker for some cajun/creole food, so I begged the recipe off of him and tried it. My kids begged me to make it every week for months after we tried it, but crawdads are hard to come by here, so started using mini cocktail shrimp instead. If you like cornbread and you like cajun food, I'd be surprised if you don't like cajun crawfish cornbread casserole. Don't it look good?

crawdadcasserole.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
15 hours ago, BigK said:

One of the forums I frequent (I think it was an ADV motorcycle forum) had a good recipe thread going for a long time. One day we were talking about squirrel dumplins and venison recipes and what not and this one fella asked if we'd every had crawdad cornbread. I am a sucker for some cajun/creole food, so I begged the recipe off of him and tried it. My kids begged me to make it every week for months after we tried it, but crawdads are hard to come by here, so started using mini cocktail shrimp instead. If you like cornbread and you like cajun food, I'd be surprised if you don't like cajun crawfish cornbread casserole. Don't it look good?

crawdadcasserole.jpg

I can see how that would be might tasty.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, Garufa said:

Haven't done anything yet.  Gotta get the fixins and apparently I sinned when last using the iron skillet many years ago; didn't put it away correctly and it's gonna need some work.

Rust get ahold of it?

22 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Rust get ahold of it?

Not too bad, just on the bottom.  Never properly cleaned it before putting it away and forgetting about it.  That has been rectified.  It’s ready for business now.

• Like 2

My mother almost always cooked her cornbread on the top of the stove in a cast iron skillet rather than in the oven. In summer it was too hot to turn the oven on and in general it cost more to heat the oven if cornbread is all you're cooking. 

she would cover the skillet for the first part of the cook, then use a dinner plate to slip under the half baked bread and quickly flip the bread over to cook on the other side leaving the lid off from this point on. Doing the flip is a bit tricky and I've never been able to master it. I know she always did it over the sink, just in case. The best thing about it was that you got two crunchy sides!

The recipe on the back of the corn meal mix works fine if you leave out that damn sugar! 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, BigK said:

Anybody else like chopped up onions in their cornbread?

hush puppies yes, cornbread not so much

I can see one would think it should since hush puppies are kinda fried cornbread balls.

• Like 3

I just made a pan of cornbread this week to go with a pot of White beans I made. I made it like my mother use to make it. She was never one to make fancy bread but it all got eaten. She used yellow Corn Meal, spoon of yeast, 4 eggs, quart of buttermilk and a table spoon of lard in the skillet. Got the skillet hot in the oven then poured the lard in the mix, stirred and put it in the hot skillet. The only thing I did that was different was I used Self rising cornmeal so didn't need the yeast. I guess it was pretty good cause my son-in-law ate 3 pieces of bread and 2 bowls of beans since my daughter had to pull a double at work so he ate with me.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2023 at 12:43 AM, BigK said:

crawdadcasserole.jpg

Saved this! Going to try it!!!

• Like 1

1 cup self-rising cornmeal; OR one cup regular cornmeal, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon flour
1 large egg
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 425. Grease a cast-iron skillet with vegetable shortening or lard and let it come up to heat in that oven.

2. Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar to a cup of milk, stir and let sit as it sours and curdles.

3. Mix the 'dry' ingredients, cornmeal and flour, in a separate bowl from the 'wet' ingredients: the egg, oil, and soured milk.

4. When the milk is soured and the oven is up to the right temperature, and the skillet is heated and ready to go, then, working quickly, mix the 'wet' and 'dry' ingredients together. Don't worry about getting it completely smooth, but do break up any big lumps. Overmixing the batter will cause the cornbread to come out dense and tough.

5. As soon as the batter is mixed, take the cast iron skillet from the oven, and pour the batter into it. Do not stir.

6. Return the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is golden-brown, has started to crack a bit, and the cornbread has begun to pull away from the sides of the skillet. This takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your skillet.

7. Dump the cornbread from the skillet onto a cooling rack so it does not continue to cook.

cornbread.jpg

Edited by Cottonmouth
  • Like 2

Great thread!

I and my bride (RIP) are from SW MS. All of our "people" are from the "Free State of Jones" 🙂,

Cornbread has always been a staple in our house.

I'm 69 and was given a cast iron cornbread skillet by my father that he said he'd had since he was 8 years old. That would have been 1936.

My Mother was a terrible cook! Loved her, but she lacked skill. WTH?

My Mother in law (Winnie Sue), as was Rhonda (my Bride), were/are great cooks. I learned from the best.

I'm gonna list our family's standard cornbread recipe and our "Mexican cornbread" recipe below.

The real key is preheating the cast iron skillet. The initial pour will rise and start browning as you pour. That's when you know you're doing it right.

FWIW we use Martha White SR flour and SR Cornmeal.

We, the People of the Free State of Jones, believe recipes are merely suggestions and open to experimentation and tweaking to suit your taste buds. At least that's my excuse in case I forget something that isn't critical.

Winnie Sue's Cornbread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with greased skillet in the oven, 30 minutes.

Mix in large bowl:

2 cups SR cornmeal

1 cup SR flour

2 eggs

I put 2 tablespoons of sugar in it 'cause I can! 🙂

Enough buttermilk to thin. That'd be a bit less than a pint. We really don't do exact measurements back home LOL

Bake for 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven.

As soon as you remove the baked cornbread from the oven, turn it onto a plate...otherwise the castiron skillet will overcook it.

I make Hamburger soup or French Market soup at least once a month. It would be sacrilege to eat either without Winnie Sue's cornbread! I'd lose my "Southern Card" for certain!

"Mama’s Mexican Cornbread"     Winnie Sue

Brown one (1) pound of lean ground beef with a cut up onion – Drain

Mix the cornmeal batter:

2 cups of self rising cornmeal

1 cup of self rising flour

2 eggs

2 tlbs “Wesson” oil

Jalapeños to taste… make it real tasty. If you don't sweat a little under your eyes you aren't adding enough peppers. 🙂

Open can of cream style corn and pour 1/2 into batter mix

Add buttermilk to right consistency. It doesn't take much due to the liquid in the cream style corn...beware!

Grease pan...preheat as above. 30 minutes.

Pour ½ batter in the hot greased pan/skillet

Layer with shredded cheese

Add ground beef mixture on top of that

Add the other ½ cream corn – spread on top of meat mixture

Add a layer of shredded cheese

Add other ½ of batter for next layer

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown

I use a 9 inch cast iron skillet for the Mexican cornbread. It's relatively new and only about 60 years old.

Leave the Mexican cornbread in the cast iron skillet. Slice and serve after it's "rested" about 30 minutes. It'll still be hot, I promise.

Rhonda and I complied a folder of recipes I copied from hand written notes, envelopes, etc we collected over the 33 years of marriage( with which God Blessed me). That folder is pretty thick by now. 😉

Jamie

Regular cornbread pic

cornbread 2.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Great thread!

I and my bride (RIP) are from SW MS. All of our "people" are from the "Free State of Jones" 🙂,

Cornbread has always been a staple in our house.

I'm 69 and was given a cast iron cornbread skillet by my father that he said he'd had since he was 8 years old. That would have been 1936.

My Mother was a terrible cook! Loved her, but she lacked skill. WTH?

My Mother in law (Winnie Sue), as was Rhonda (my Bride), were/are great cooks. I learned from the best.

I'm gonna list our family's standard cornbread recipe and our "Mexican cornbread" recipe below.

The real key is preheating the cast iron skillet. The initial pour will rise and start browning as you pour. That's when you know you're doing it right.

FWIW we use Martha White SR flour and SR Cornmeal.

We, the People of the Free State of Jones, believe recipes are merely suggestions and open to experimentation and tweaking to suit your taste buds. At least that's my excuse in case I forget something that isn't critical.

Winnie Sue's Cornbread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with greased skillet in the oven, 30 minutes.

Mix in large bowl:

2 cups SR cornmeal

1 cup SR flour

2 eggs

I put 2 tablespoons of sugar in it 'cause I can! 🙂

Enough buttermilk to thin. That'd be a bit less than a pint. We really don't do exact measurements back home LOL

Bake for 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven.

As soon as you remove the baked cornbread from the oven, turn it onto a plate...otherwise the castiron skillet will overcook it.

I make Hamburger soup or French Market soup at least once a month. It would be sacrilege to eat either without Winnie Sue's cornbread! I'd lose my "Southern Card" for certain!

"Mama’s Mexican Cornbread"     Winnie Sue

Brown one (1) pound of lean ground beef with a cut up onion – Drain

Mix the cornmeal batter:

2 cups of self rising cornmeal

1 cup of self rising flour

2 eggs

2 tlbs “Wesson” oil

Jalapeños to taste… make it real tasty. If you don't sweat a little under your eyes you aren't adding enough peppers. 🙂

Open can of cream style corn and pour 1/2 into batter mix

Add buttermilk to right consistency. It doesn't take much due to the liquid in the cream style corn...beware!

Grease pan...preheat as above. 30 minutes.

Pour ½ batter in the hot greased pan/skillet

Layer with shredded cheese

Add ground beef mixture on top of that

Add the other ½ cream corn – spread on top of meat mixture

Add a layer of shredded cheese

Add other ½ of batter for next layer

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown

I use a 9 inch cast iron skillet for the Mexican cornbread. It's relatively new and only about 60 years old.

Leave the Mexican cornbread in the cast iron skillet. Slice and serve after it's "rested" about 30 minutes. It'll still be hot, I promise.

Rhonda and I complied a folder of recipes I copied from hand written notes, envelopes, etc we collected over the 33 years of marriage( with which God Blessed me). That folder is pretty thick by now. 😉

Jamie

Regular cornbread pic

cornbread 2.jpg

I've never seen cornbread rise that much.  I guess both self-rising flour and cornmeal will do that. 

And "Free State of Jones" is a good movie. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, peejman said:

I've never seen cornbread rise that much.  I guess both self-rising flour and cornmeal will do that. 

And "Free State of Jones" is a good movie. 

It's what I thought cornbread should look like LOL. Never knew any different. 🙂

My father and his family are from Soso,MS.  His father was named "Boss Jackson". Mean old ####!

Ethel Knight was my great aunt. She wrote "The Echo of the Black Horn"...one of the many versions of my mongrel heritage. I enjoyed the movie as well.

Jones County is it's own kind of special. My MIL, Winnie Sue, has a 12 foot gator in the finger lake in her back yard. Fish and Game have removed a couple like that for her. I personally never cared for gator, but I do love some mudbugs! They're easier to manage.

Edited by Jamie Jackson
needed it
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 11:49 AM, bersaguy said:

I just made a pan of cornbread this week to go with a pot of White beans I made. I made it like my mother use to make it. She was never one to make fancy bread but it all got eaten. She used yellow Corn Meal, spoon of yeast, 4 eggs, quart of buttermilk and a table spoon of lard in the skillet. Got the skillet hot in the oven then poured the lard in the mix, stirred and put it in the hot skillet. The only thing I did that was different was I used Self rising cornmeal so didn't need the yeast. I guess it was pretty good cause my son-in-law ate 3 pieces of bread and 2 bowls of beans since my daughter had to pull a double at work so he ate with me.

I'd say it sounds like you got it right! love to have some of my grandma' cornbread.