Biden to sign executive order to expand background checks

This from a Fox News story this morning. It looks to me like it outlaws an already illegal activity, but what do I know?

President Biden is expected to announce an executive order on Tuesday that would expand background checks to more firearm sales by expanding the statutory definition of a firearms dealer, the White House said.

Biden is set to sign the order during a trip to Monterey Park, California, where he will meet with families and the community impacted by the mass shooting that killed 11 and injured nine others in January. The White House said the executive order will bring the U.S. "as close to universal background checks as possible" without additional legislation.

BIDEN VOWS TO BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS 'COME HELL OR HIGH WATER'

Under the executive order, Biden is also directing Attorney General Merrick Garland to develop and implement a plan to prevent former federally licensed firearms dealers, whose licenses have been revoked or surrendered, from continuing to engage in the business of dealing in firearms.

I'm waiting on the designation that if you sell more than "x" number of guns you are considered to be a dealer. I could realistically see that coming with where a rule is made that anyone that sell more than say 2 guns a year you must be an FFL and comply with background checks. 

• Like 3

He's got to mollify his base with tough talk on guns after screwing his supporters by potentially allowing oil drilling in Alaska. It's a nothing burger, but it won't end up being entirely harmless as we will all potentially be impacted until the inevitable lawsuits work thru the court system to nullify whatever this ends up doing. A 40 year career politician just working the media to look tough on guns. <sigh> I can't wait for 2024 when we can be done with this demented clown.

• Like 4

It's the same tactic rich people and large corporations use to get their way.  Both have more money to spend on lawyers than do most of the people and organizations, they are screwing over.

The courts don't mean anything to tyrants.

• Like 1

I watched these guys last night, good stuff about this subject. Gun owners who want to sell or buy more than 10 firearms a year will be in trouble. A loved one selling off a collection are going to have a very hard time as well.

• Like 2

I just glanced over it a few minutes ago. Section 3 (i) mentions clarifying the definition for FFL and requiring that background check. No surprise there I'm amazed it hasn't been done by now. But again with the whole rule thing if something is going to made illegal it should be voted on by the legislators. I think this is why we keep having these shenanigans with rulings like bump stock or braces.