Cross Creek sporting clays.... a hidden "gem" in middle Tennessee

I am not sure how many of you who like to shoot sporting clays are familiar with this but I visited a "gem" of a facility right here in middle TN.

Cross Creek Clays is located in Palmyra, TN (just south of Clarksville) and is just an absolutely wonderful facility.  Imagine about three large golf courses blended together and accessible by carts but dedicated to the sporting clays.  I was not aware of it and a friend who had been singing the praises, finally took me there today.  They are having a large national tournament this weekend and many of you may be attending.  

If this sort of thing is up your alley, then check out the link below and check it out.

Cross Creek Clays | Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, Make-A-Break, FITASC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, threeshot said:

Thank you for the information of this facility.

Which course did you shoot at Cross Creek Clays? Red, White or Blue?

Have you been to TCTC (Nashville Gun Club) and shot their sporting clay course?

You're welcome.  

We shot the red (easiest) and the white (medium) courses.  I have done very little clay shooting in my life as I mostly do rifle and handgun target shooting, but this opens up a whole new dimension of gun sport. 

As to the Nashville Gun Club course, no, I have not shot there but my friend was well acquainted with it.  He said that the Cross Creek facility was substantially nicer, in his opinion.  

I shot sporting clays at TCTC many years ago and I enjoyed the variations at each stand. I always had problems with the "rabbit" clay disk rolling  and bouncing at high speed on the ground.

TCTC only has one sporting clay course, but at the time I went to TCTC, they change the clay machines and difficulty frequently so the course is not the same. One time I went on a weekend after they had a tournament for the sporting clays and the stands were still setup for the tournament.

Needless to say, I did not score well. I think my score was 20's or 30's out of the 100 clay targets. I still had a good time.

I noticed that the Cross Creek Clays website said you can get golf carts. Is the distance from the clubhouse to the various courses very far away or very difficult terrain that would prevent walking? I would think the distance between stands on a given course would be easily walkable.

I would prefer walking and talking with the group as long as the terrain was not like a difficult hike in the woods with steep inclines and declines.

EDIT:

For those new to the middle TN area, Nashville Gun Club (TCTC) offers more than just sporting clays.

https://www.nashvillegunclub.com/

Edited by threeshot
Add links & fixed typo
  • Like 1
On 3/17/2023 at 10:47 AM, threeshot said:

I shot sporting clays at TCTC many years ago and I enjoyed the variations at each stand. I always had problems with the "rabbit" clay disk rolling  and bouncing at high speed on the ground.

TCTC only has one sporting clay course, but at the time I went to TCTC, they change the clay machines and difficulty frequently so the course is not same. One time I went on a weekend after they had a tournament for the sporting clays and the stands where still setup for the tournament.

Needless to say, I did not score well. I think my score was 20's or 30's out of the 100 clay targets. I still had a good time.

I noticed that the Cross Creek Clays website said you can get golf carts. Is the distance from the clubhouse to the various courses very far away or very difficult terrain that would prevent walking? I would think the distance between stands on a given course would be easily walkable.

I would prefer walking and talking with the group as long as the terrain was not like a difficult hike in the woods with steep inclines and declines.  We went through over 250 rounds and I would not have wanted to carry that amount of weight through those hills, ha. 😁

EDIT:

For those new to the middle TN area, Nashville Gun Club (TCTC) offers more than just sporting clays.

https://www.nashvillegunclub.com/

Nice post and I am like you in that I don't set any records with my scoring, ha.  I would like to do more of it as I think I could improve, but will never set the woods on fire......

To try and answer your question, some of the stations are close enough to easily walk, but some are further off.  But, I would warn you that the terrain is hilly and very wooded.  Their attempt seems to be to use the hills, valleys, etc. and the woods to carve out a "wild-life rich" type of environment.  The clay launchers are strategically placed to give interesting patterns that compliment the roll of the terrain.  Could a person walk it???  Yes, but to carry your shotgun, ammo and whatever else, you would need to be in very good shape.  

Edited by Choatecav
  • Like 1