Vehicle Gun Security

Currently, I have a small lock box secured by a cable in my car for storing my EDC for brief periods in places like the post office, etc.  It’s  only key operated and cheaply made.  It’s not secured to the vehicle, except by the steel cable.  I’m wanting to get a better unit.  I ran across the Hornady Rapid Vehicle Safe and do deed if anyone uses that or knows much about it.  It uses an air bladder that wedges between the seat and the console for stability plus a security cable for security. It is powered by a plug into the vehicle accessory outlet, with an internal battery backup.  Other ideas/brands/models welcome.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, InertOrd13 said:

I have no experience with them but console vault looks neat. It would go into your center console and then gets screwed into the console. A little bit easier access than a box under the seat but I also imagine anyone breaking into the car is going to open up the console lid and see the locked safe.

https://www.consolevault.com/

I’m with InertOrd13 on this- the console vaults look awesome AND their entire website line of products (which is vasty!) is 20% off this weekend! I just saw the code on the top banner of their site.  Man, I’m thinking of their utility beyond securing my guns- as I nightfish for walleye & catfish and always worry about my nice Truck alone in the parking lot unattended at remote launch points.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 6:03 AM, InertOrd13 said:

I have no experience with them but console vault looks neat. It would go into your center console and then gets screwed into the console. A little bit easier access than a box under the seat but I also imagine anyone breaking into the car is going to open up the console lid and see the locked safe.

I like these but they dont have them for all vehicles. A friend has one in his F-150 and he loves it.

• 2 weeks later...

Devils advocate......you don't need one. Unless you're going through pat down or metal detectors.......concealed is concealed. 

Now, pending the size of your edc and whether or not your holster needs stored as well, anything that will be out of your way and not visible and accessible will be impossible to find for your vehicle......I've tried and spent $ trying. 

Trunk style small safes appear to be the best because of the ability to really secure or bolt them down but some gun owners get nervous when getting stuff in and out of them. No matter what I tried, a trunk style safe bolted down was what I was most comfortable with. The brand doesn't matter as they all can be broken into with the right tools.....just do as much research as you can. There are thousands of gun sites just like TGO where this question has been asked. Read thousands of opinions and get as much information before you commit....

• Like 2
On 4/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, TacC said:

I suggest bolting the safe to the frame of the vehicle if possible 

Very few vehicles have a frame anymore and the ones that do would be underneath like they always were. I don't think I want to be crawling underneath to get to a safe.

9 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

Very few vehicles have a frame anymore and the ones that do would be underneath like they always were. I don't think I want to be crawling underneath to get to a safe.

They make very long bolts nowadays. 

Personally I would not bolt mine down, a simple cable or clamp around a seat frame will suffice because I never leave a gun in the truck/car for longer than I have to, and it will take them more time to find it and try and cut it away than it will for me to return to my vehicle.  If I have to go somewhere unarmed, I would rather leave my good EDC firearms at home, I'll carry a Jennings or High-point then.

• Like 1

Seems the most secure solutions are usually vehicle-specific.

I drive a Jeep, so I lucked out with ample under the seat space and places to bolt things down. I scored a great lockbox that bolts to the frame under the seat and has a drawer that slides out nearly to the pedals. Seems like trucks and Jeeps faired best for that type of solution.

53 minutes ago, BigK said:

Seems the most secure solutions are usually vehicle-specific.

I drive a Jeep, so I lucked out with ample under the seat space and places to bolt things down. I scored a great lockbox that bolts to the frame under the seat and has a drawer that slides out nearly to the pedals. Seems like trucks and Jeeps faired best for that type of solution.

Have you got a link to it? That sounds like it would be big enough for more than guns.

The seat mounts and seatbelt mounts are bolted to the frame I used a similar design in my truck I took 1/4” flat iron and made a mount secured to the same ports as the seat and then tapped the plate and secured the safe they will move to the next vehicle because most theft is vehicle but they aren’t safe crackers 

• Like 1
On 3/18/2023 at 6:03 AM, InertOrd13 said:

I have a console safe in my truck. Yes, they can open the lid and see the safe, but it would be hard to get it out/open. Hard = time, and most criminals want to move quickly.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I have a console safe in my truck. Yes, they can open the lid and see the safe, but it would be hard to get it out/open. Hard = time, and most criminals want to move quickly.

You're right. Making it harder our stuff hard to get is all we can really do. There is no such thing as impossible to get.

• Like 1