Virginia man trapped under a massive gun safe

Remember to ask for help guys! Surely a few buddies could have changed the outcome here. 

https://ktla.com/news/man-rescued-from-under-2000-pound-safe/amp/

"A Virginia man was hospitalized after becoming trapped under a massive gun safe, the Glasgow Volunteer Fire Department said.

Firefighters said the man had been trying to unload the safe on March 9 when he fell and got pinned under it. Firefighters estimated the safe weighed 2,000 pounds."

Very sorry this happened, and I pray the bentleman is ok. However, my pitiful size/weight recognition skills wonder if that 2000# assessment is a wee bit off.

I have one that appears to be about that size. It's 56 x 48 and was just under 1000 #.

My brotherinlaw and I moved it off an open trailer and sat it up safely. But we had rollers, a hydrolic lift jack and blocks to sit it on. All we had to do was push and shove to get it placed on the blocks. That was 20 years ago though. I wouldn't even think of trying to move it now. Too old, too slow, and way too paranoid of getting hurt again.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, hipower said:

Very sorry this happened, and I pray the bentleman is ok. However, my pitiful size/weight recognition skills wonder if that 2000# assessment is a wee bit off.

I have one that appears to be about that size. It's 56 x 48 and was just under 1000 #.

My brotherinlaw and I moved it off an open trailer and sat it up safely. But we had rollers, a hydrolic lift jack and blocks to sit it on. All we had to do was push and shove to get it placed on the blocks. That was 20 years ago though. I wouldn't even think of trying to move it now. Too old, too slow, and way too paranoid of getting hurt again.

You're assuming the safe was empty HP. Id be willing to bet he was moving it with contents inside and the weight shifted on him. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, hipower said:

I wouldn't even think of trying to move it now. Too old, too slow, and way too paranoid of getting hurt again.

29 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

Paying someone to move a safe is cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

8 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Remember to ask for help guys! Surely a few buddies could have changed the outcome here. 

Like these about a million times, I to am to old to take on something like this without help.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

You're assuming the safe was empty HP. Id be willing to bet he was moving it with contents inside and the weight shifted on him. 

Possibly. But with 60%+/- of the safe weight being the door, the pic seems to show it fell from the front; either way...too dangerous for one man to move alone. Especially at our ages.

13 minutes ago, hipower said:

Possibly. But with 60%+/- of the safe weight being the door, the pic seems to show it fell from the front; either way...too dangerous for one man to move alone. Especially at our ages.

In this case judging by the pics provided it had zero to do with the door and 100% to do with the operator and his "plan" lol.

• Like 3