John Linebaugh Passed Away

KahrMan

He was a pioneer in big bore handguns.

From Big Horn Armory:

John Linebaugh passed away on March 19, 2023, at his home. A fellow Wyomingite, Linebaugh was an American gunsmith who gained international renown for creating custom revolvers in the largest calibers in the world. He invented the .500 Linebaugh caliber — the first successful .50 caliber revolver (and cartridge) in 1986. He is also credited with inventing the .475 Linebaugh cartridge, which he perfected in 1988.

"John was a pioneer in the use of big bore, heavy bullets in handguns. He predates Smith & Wesson's 500 S&W by almost 20 years. They probably would not have created the X Frame guns without his inspiration,” commented Greg Buchel, president of Big Horn Armory.

He continued, “his handguns were near perfection. The first time I fired one of his guns many years ago was at a range event he and I both attended. He handed me his gun out of his holster. The first thing I noticed was how perfect the fit and function were. It wasn't necessarily the prettiest gun I ever saw, but even after years of use and who knows how many rounds it fired, the gun was mechanical jewelry."

The friendship between our team and Linebaugh began at the Wyoming Outdoorsman Annual fundraiser several years ago when Linebaugh approached Buchel at his table. After chatting for a while, the idea for a collaboration was born. The idea was discussed several times in the following months, and one night over a couple of bourbons, the two decided to produce a limited edition, super-premium boxed set containing one 500 Linebaugh lever gun and one 500 Linebaugh revolver. Included would be exhibition-grade wood, octagon barrels, and color case hardened receivers all packaged in an oak presentation box.

“John’s work and friendship will never be forgotten. We have truly lost one of the greats. Our entire Big Horn Armory family sends our deepest condolences to his family and to all who were blessed to know him,” said Buchel.

• Sad 2

Many years ago, my friend Tom and I went to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.

We stopped at a table which was full of Linebaugh firearms.

Tom is one of those history buffs and he proceeded to inform this gentleman at the booth, about the history of  

Linebaugh designs.

After Tom finishes his recitation , the guy at the booth laughs and says, you sure know your history, let me introduce myself, I'm John Linebaugh.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, jeremiah said:

Tom is one of those history buffs and he proceeded to inform this gentleman at the booth, about the history of  

Linebaugh designs.

After Tom finishes his recitation , the guy at the booth laughs and says, you sure know your history, let me introduce myself, I'm John Linebaugh.

That is a great story.  

16 hours ago, jeremiah said:

Linebaugh designs.

Awesome story!

What an honor to have the opportunity to meet him.

I couldn't even guess at the number of articles I've read by or about him, especially about the .45 Colt.

RIP Good Sir.

Linebaugh was a big fan of the .45 Colt cartridge. He was especially fond of the S&W Model 25-5 in this caliber. Like everything else he pushed the big Colt round to its limits. For many years most folks believed the S&W 25 couldn't stand up to anything more than standard velocity ammo and it was downright dangerous to try to pump it up. Linebaugh proved that to be wrong. While he did warn against trying to "magnumize" the .45 Colt, he often pumped it up into the +P range with no ill effects on the big S&W at all.  😉

• Like 1

I own 2 of John’s guns and spent a bunch of time on the phone with him but sadly never got to meet him face to face. As far as I can tell he treated everyone like they were his friends and not just customers.

He’s left a giant void in the handgun world that won’t likely be filled for quite some time. Already miss him!

RIP

• Like 2