New Senator from Memphis eviscerates SB1503.

The Senator that took the criminal Brian Kelsey's place amended 1503 in such a manner that it not only took out every good thing in the bill, it added more restrictions.

The Republican Supermajority in the Senate Judiciary showed its true colors, refusing to allow long guns as 42 other states do with no permitand 4 more do with a permit.

With friends like this...

• Angry 2
On 3/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, RED333 said:

I was listening to the radio and learned this law is from the time from when TN was made a state.

Explain please,  which law are you referencing, and what was the wording of the law in1796 when we were made a state? 

@Worriedman, thank you for your ongoing legislative updates! As a recent transplant and newbie to TGO, it's helping me get up to speed on current TN firearms legislation.

Quoting the Lebanon Democrat:

House Bill 1005 lowers the age of permits to 18 and changes the term handgun to firearm in Tennessee code.

Good, yes?

Senate Bill 1503 had an amendment added this week from Sen. Brent Taylor, R-Memphis, in the Senate Judiciary Committee that will prevent long guns from being openly carried.

Would SB 1503, as amended, require that long guns be carried concealed? 

11 hours ago, Worriedman said:

Explain please,  which law are you referencing, and what was the wording of the law in1796 when we were made a state? 

It was on the radio and I did not pay close enough attention, wish I had.

14 hours ago, trunner said:

@Worriedman, thank you for your ongoing legislative updates! As a recent transplant and newbie to TGO, it's helping me get up to speed on current TN firearms legislation.

House Bill 1005 lowers the age of permits to 18 and changes the term handgun to firearm in Tennessee code.

Good, yes?

Senate Bill 1503 had an amendment added this week from Sen. Brent Taylor, R-Memphis, in the Senate Judiciary Committee that will prevent long guns from being openly carried.

They said on WTN's talk radio that 4 so-called "Republicans" had a hand in tanking the bill. Their constituents should be blowing them up!

This is off topic, but what's up with Memphis Republicans? Rep. John Gillispie (R), Memphis, is a sponsor of this bill making lock boxes mandatory for vehicles.

The Largest Source of Stolen Guns? Parked Cars. (yahoo.com)

I'm opposed to mandatory lock boxes, but I don't think they are a bad idea at all. That being said we should not ever be making responsible gun owners, criminals. Even though this is just a smack on the wrist, that's exactly what you are doing.

I would much rather see, public lock boxes at checkpoints, in County, State and Federal buildings for this sort of thing and for making HC Permit holders be able to carry anywhere.

• Like 2
On 3/25/2023 at 5:01 PM, trunner said:

Good, yes?

1503 as amended will deny you the ability to carry a long gun even unloaded, except during hunting or sport shooting.

• Sad 1
On 3/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Moped said:

I would much rather see, public lock boxes at checkpoints, in County, State and Federal buildings for this sort of thing and for making HC Permit holders be able to carry anywhere.

A number of states have secure storage.

Depending on the next SCOTUS judge it can go either way, as we have never had the "sensitive place" question adjudicated.  Scalia just said it was generally accepted that government buildings such as courthouses, but if we take into consideration historical tradition, (Tennessee does not have a rule from the founding on that), but he did say we have not decided what they are, that was for a later date.

• Like 1