school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

12 minutes ago, BigK said:

Aably looks like we're trying to put out a forest fire with a garden hose to the other side or worse, it looks like we're ignoring the problem and/or pretending there is no problem. In the meantime, a very large segment of our population thinks they have a magic bullet (gun control).

This! 👆

I think it's time we (the Firearms Community) start coming up with our own common sense solutions to these issues, or the other side is going to end up winning on this issue and none of us will be happy.  Wishing it would all just go away, and ignoring the issue ain't working.

Edited by Moped
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Daniel said:

This is no longer the case.

No it's still the case, unless you think 18 and 19 year olds are "kids".  The devil is in the details, if you look closely at the research paper they're referring to you'll see they label "kids" as 0-19.  And 80+% of those deaths are in the 15-19 age group.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moped said:

Doctors place some mental health patients, they deem a danger to themselves and other, on a DO NOT SALE list for firearms.

This can be done today, without any changes to the law.  Doctors aren't doing it.

• Like 2

Well, I will kick in my 2 cents. Protests like the one in Nashville yesterday will have zero effect on the elected officials. If you want to protest and be effective the best place to do it is at the Ballot Box. Elected officials hear those protests loud and clear.....JMHO

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

For those that have the time and interest, this is the best review of the need for mental health institutions.  It is entitled, "Bring Back Asylums . . . but Better."  About 35 minutes, but it is very well done.

I grew up about 30 minutes from there and have good family friends that were nurses at that facility.  My mom and grandmother both worked at the Manteno State Hospital for years and I have many stories on some of the doctors and patients at these locations.  Some good, some bad, but the facilities were quite interesting if you ever had the chance to go in them (which I did).  The Manteno State Hospital is now a Veterans home and many small business, but every time I go out there when visiting I think back to those days.

• Thanks 1

As for the protest yesterday it was not a violent protest but loud and there was a lot of younger people involved and I think the fact that they were dealing with THP may have also helped. I do agree that folks do have a right to protest as long at they can not get violent. 

4 hours ago, JayC said:

No it's still the case, unless you think 18 and 19 year olds are "kids".  The devil is in the details, if you look closely at the research paper they're referring to you'll see they label "kids" as 0-19.  And 80+% of those deaths are in the 15-19 age group.

If you have or have had an 18-19 year old I think you will still call them kids. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2
18 hours ago, hipower said:

So brilliant an analysis. Really. I wish I could have said it this well.

An emphasis on the "more pharmaceuticals" is a biggie.

Meds have replaced state mental hospitals but people go off the meds without monitoring. 

Society used to allow police to arrest people for vagrancy, petty crime, public nuscence or indecency etc.

These arrests often weeded out people who needed mental care.

Now they roam around unchecked.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

From what I saw on the Memphis news, the crowd was pretty big and loud, but mostly behaving themselves. No way you could call that an insurrection.  I think somebody is just wanting to blow this up for their own purposes. 🙄

I got no problem with peaceful protests. That's the American way. 👍

You have no problem with it when they are protesting against your constitutional rights? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If you have or have had an 18-19 year old I think you will still call them kids. 

Legally, they are adults, not children. And I believe that JayC's point point was that most of those deaths are the result of gang violence and other criminal activity. I don't think it's at all reasonable to include those deaths when speaking of children killed by firearms. Do you?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Legally, they are adults, not children. And I believe that JayC's point point was that most of those deaths are the result of gang violence and other criminal activity. I don't think it's at all reasonable to include those deaths when speaking of children killed by firearms. Do you?

I agree it's not reasonable to skew the statistics for child deaths by including adults.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I have one. He’s in college, a Baptist preacher, lives on his own, and pretty much self sufficient. Not a kid in any respect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
4 hours ago, Daniel said:

My point they are legally adults, and saying that "children" are now being killed at a higher rate via firearms, when you count 18 and 19 year old adults as "children" to pad the numbers is misleading at best.

Also, you'll note the years they're quoting, which is right in the middle of the pandemic when travel was greatly reduced, and thus fewer vehicle wrecks, and thus fewer deaths.

Frankly, I don't care what the death rate is for violent inner city gang members, the higher death rate they have, the less crime they're committing over the long run.  And the less likely it is to impact me.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Moped said:

This! 👆

I think it's time we (the Firearms Community) start coming up with our own common sense solutions to these issues, or the other side is going to end up winning on this issue and none of us will be happy.  Wishing it would all just go away, and ignoring the issue ain't working.

We have, and have won major battles in the courts reinstated 2A rights across the country.  If you are not supporting local and or national gun rights organisations then you may not be doing enough.  We know, and deep down, they know, that taking guns from law abiding citizens isn't the answer.  An armed society is a polite society,  I  firmly believe that, and data backs that up.  But for the antis, it's not about safety, it's about control.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, -boatman- said:

You have no problem with it when they are protesting against your constitutional rights? 

You can protest against their 1st amendment because they are protesting against your 2nd. If you take away their 1st, someone can take rights away from you. Like it or not until everyone becomes a Libertarian, the left wing and the right wing need each other to balance one another out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

With friends like this:

TN: LT. GOV. MCNALLY JOINS DEMOCRATS IN FAVOR OF RED FLAG LAW!

The Tennessean reported:  

For more than a thousand people on Thursday morning, their response to the Covenant shooting led them up the steps of the Tennessee Capitol and into its halls, where they crowded into its marble rotunda and lined the chamber galleries.

As their chants for “gun reform now” rang out, Tennessee Highway Patrol members were forced to hold open paths for lawmakers and staff to get into the House chamber, which eventually erupted in an unprecedented confrontation sparked by two freshman lawmakers urging their colleagues to address gun safety issues before returning to business as usual.

[Rep. Bob] Freeman called for “common-sense reforms” including red flag laws and background checks. Freeman addressed his Republican supermajority colleagues, who in recent years have relaxed gun laws in the state. 

Senate speaker Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, R-Oak Ridge, said Thursday he would support red flag laws, in addition to increasing security measures at school. House leadership would not commit to supporting or opposing gun reforms floated by their Democratic colleagues, but leadership said they would be open to discussing any options to keep Tennessee children safe.

“We’ll be happy to have everything on the table and have a conversation,” House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, said. 

8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I have one. He’s in college, a Baptist preacher, lives on his own, and pretty much self sufficient. Not a kid in any respect.

If you have an 18-19 year old "baptist preacher" I can't be more overjoyed to no longer be a part of that cult lol.

• Dislike 7
5 hours ago, AuEagle said:

"The Federalist is an American conservative online magazine and podcast that covers politics, policy, culture, and religion, and publishes a newsletter.[1][2][3][4] The site was co-founded by Ben Domenech and Sean Davis and launched in September 2013.[4]

During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Federalist published many pieces that contained false information, pseudoscience, and contradictions or misrepresentations of the recommendations of public health authorities.[5][6][7] While ballots were being counted in the 2020 United States presidential election, The Federalist made false claims that there had been large-scale election fraud.[8][9]"

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Omega said:

But for the antis, it's not about safety, it's about control.

The only thing Im interested in controlling is the number of mass shooter events, particularly in schools.  Hopefully, you never get to experience what those 6 families are feeling. What thousands upon thousands of families have experienced.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2023 at 7:48 PM, Alleycat72 said:

You need an HK mp5k. It'll fit under your jacket. People will know you have it, but It'll be out of sight out of mind. It will not be comfortable and it will not defeat body armor, but getting shot in body armor will change most people's minds. 

Well I do have a M11/9 with a Lage Max-31. It's about the size of a MP5, but a little longer than the K.