school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

2 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

Our school has facial recognition technology. Because of our situation, I have to update pictures of individuals regularly. If that person/people show up, the school and police are quietly notified. I have no idea why it couldn't have every student, parent, and staff then if someone shows up it alarms. Of course this is over simplifying it, but you get the point.

Not only is this a good idea, after full implementation, it’s also cost effective. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

OK, I can agree with this idea but what are better schools? There have been school shootings in some of the best schools in the country and some of the average schools. How does a parent choose a school that won't have what happened Monday happen there as well. I think the security issue needs to be addressed first....JMHO

Never in my craziest nightmares did I think that this would happen at TCS. As a parent, you can’t even really go there. That is a rabbit hole that you just can’t go down. If I can’t trust a school, can I trust a movie theater, or concert hall, or sporting event, or parade, or any other public venue.  I want my kids and everyone’s kids safe. I want us all safe. But we live in an unfair, imperfect, world with evil. We just have to either all have guns (not a bad idea) no one have guns (not a good idea) or just hope that we don’t win this particular lottery. Of all the schools in Tennessee for there to be a school shooter (I am differentiating between this type of attack, and a fight or quarrel that ends is violence between students) it ended up happening at home. 

I do think we need to protect out children. And a school security officer it a good idea. The Kroger near my house has a security guard, malls have security guards, public venues have security guards. It doesn’t mean we are guaranteed to be safe, but it is a deterrent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tell me if I am out of line here but it appears that we are drifting towards putting a price on each Child instead of looking at a solution that addresses the security of all children in all schools. With the technology available today a well trained SRO with the right technology could secure any school. JMHO

• Like 3
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

That and Bill Lee is open to grant funding for private school security.  I'm all for private schools having guards, but they should fund it like they do all their other operating items.

Coupled with a red flag law that's just meant to turn down the heat and we'll have taken some steps backwards.

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

That is ridiculous. We barely fund our public schools. The last thing we need to do is pay for private school security. 

Not sure why it's ridiculous, both of my kids went to private catholic school up to the 8th grade, I paid my tax's and didn't get squat in return.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Tell me if I am out of line here but it appears that we are drifting towards putting a price on each Child instead of looking at a solution that addresses the security of all children in all schools. 

Choose your cause, and this is almost always the case. 

15 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Never in my craziest nightmares did I think that this would happen at TCS. As a parent, you can’t even really go there. That is a rabbit hole that you just can’t go down. If I can’t trust a school, can I trust a movie theater, or concert hall, or sporting event, or parade, or any other public venue.  I want my kids and everyone’s kids safe. I want us all safe. But we live in an unfair, imperfect, world with evil. We just have to either all have guns (not a bad idea) no one have guns (not a good idea) or just hope that we don’t win this particular lottery. Of all the schools in Tennessee for there to be a school shooter (I am differentiating between this type of attack, and a fight or quarrel that ends is violence between students) it ended up happening at home. 

I do think we need to protect out children. And a school security officer it a good idea. The Kroger near my house has a security guard, malls have security guards, public venues have security guards. It doesn’t mean we are guaranteed to be safe, but it is a deterrent. 

I think you and I are close to being on the same page. I would have never thought TCS would have been a target and it took a former student that had attended school there to be the shooter. That is along the same line as Sandy Hook. Adam Lanza was a former student at Sandy Hook also.

We have to take money out of the thinking. SROs, LEOs, break proof glass all will work, we have to get past the cost!

Davidson county, ie Nashville will not put armed protection into elementary schools.

I go into schools about every week, we have to go to the office to check in. The school has a camera set up to see your face and you show your DL to the camera as well. You are then buzzed in. There are some locations that the sun makes it very hard to see the image. Someone has to come to the door to see in person. Good guys will obey the rules, bad guys do not play by the rules!

At TCS, the shooter shot out the door glass and walked in. We have to get past the cost. You just can not put a price on a child's life.

Children are our further and more!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I personally don’t like the idea of online only and would never do it ( although I don’t have kids).   They need socializing and should learn how to deal with other people.   We don’t need one more way to isolate kids from others and let them think that is normal.

^^ THIS ^^ 

Kids need to interact with others and learn social skills. For some its difficult. Parents need to encourage this interaction and talk to their kids if they seem to be having problems. That's part of the problem. Too many parents just think of school as a babysitter and have no interest in how their kids are doing.  Take a real interest in your kids. Ask them how their day was, encourage a response and actually listen.  Parenting is becoming a lost art. We need to start there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

^^ THIS ^^ 

Kids need to interact with others and learn social skills. For some its difficult. Parents need to encourage this interaction and talk to their kids if they seem to be having problems. That's part of the problem. Too many parents just think of school as a babysitter and have no interest in how their kids are doing.  Take a real interest in your kids. Ask them how their day was, encourage a response and actually listen.  Parenting is becoming a lost art. We need to start there.

I agree. How do you legislate it?

25 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I agree. How do you legislate it?

You can't. This is something that can only be taught one on one by word of mouth. Encourage all your friends to take a better interest in their children's lives. The best thing you can teach your children is that they CAN come to you with their troubles. Then you advise not judge. 

• Like 4

I still would like to know the other school the shooter decided had too much security for her to go there and shoot it up. The Police chief, in his first news conference, stated this. What security turned her away. Would be good to know, if that is fact. 

Edited to add; Seems this school had security cameras, a lockdown program rehearsed and practiced, and locked entrances.  Pretty much only thing lacking was a on site SRO, and bullet proof glass in the entrances. 

Edited by pop pop

Sometimes a kid does good in school even if their parents don't get involved in their education, but I suspect it's rare. Most kids need their parents to step up if they're going to have a chance, but sadly, some parents only serve a biological role in their kids lives. I've heard from multiple reliable sources that school meals are the only meals some kids get. How many kids actually have a parent willing to turn off the TV long enough to read them a book? How many kids wear the same dirty clothes to school for days? I'm as guilty as anyone of complaining that the school system is trying to take control of our kids, but for a large number of households, it's the best thing for the kids unfortunately. My guess is these good intentions is where some of the woke agenda I oppose got its foothold.

Security on the other hand is a lot more clear cut. We have to make our schools a harder target from these whacko shooters. I'm with a previous poster, cost doesn't matter, kids do.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm right there with ya, but I am by no means a mental health expert. I wouldn't even know where to begin. 🙄

And that right there is the gist of the issue. Trying to deal with the current mental illness epidemic would be very complex and expensive. Nobody, especially the politicians, wants to be bothered by it. Then there's that whole woke thing where you might accidentally hurt somebodies feelings. 😲

Nope, it’s just so much easier to blame the gun.  That's the easy answer.  That's exactly what the antis have been doing for years and they aren't interested in the truth. 

First we need some peespecirve. While very tragic, the odds of somebody getting killed in a mass shooting are very very slim. I get that everybody wants to end these shootings, but completely ignore other things that are more likely to kill you. You’ll hear “if it will save just one child”, but if we banned everything that would save at least one child they would live their lives in a padded room.

All that being said, these school shootings is a problem we need to deal with. I’m not sure it will ever happen though, because it is a society problem. When I was in school in the ‘80s a lot of the kids carried guns on school grounds daily, but there were no shootings. Guns were more accessible to everybody back then, but there were no school shootings. You have to ask yourself what has changed.

I think a lot of it is the breakdown of the nuclear family, the internet, and video games. When I say video games, I don’t think they affect everybody, but I do think somebody that is a little unstable can be greatly influenced by them and de-sensitized to killing. I’ve personally met people that had trouble telling the difference between video game play and reality. My kids play them, but they are also exposed to real guns and know the responsibility you need to handle them and the real damage they can do.

Also all this work agenda forced on kids at a very young age lends itself to emotional problems. It really all boils down people turning farther and farther away from God. 

That’s what it will take to solve it, but I bet there are some on this very thread aren’t willing to do what it takes, and it has nothing to do with taking away anybody’s gun. If I’m wrong, I’d love somebody to explain to me what has changed from 40 years ago until now.

• Like 3

We as a country could put skilled, armed security in every school in America if we really wanted to. Maybe instead of sending $26.4 Billion (that's just the financial aid part) to Ukraine, we invest that into the safety of all of our children and consequently, the future of America.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Rambo84 said:

We as a country could put skilled, armed security in every school in America if we really wanted to. Maybe instead of sending $26.4 Billion (that's just the financial aid part) to Ukraine, we invest that into the safety of all of our children and consequently, the future of America.

Don’t leave Israel out of the equation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

I have yet to see the “manifesto” released. Did I just miss it or are the still holding it?

Just a gut feeling, LEO is holding out the release because of the "reason" she used to do what she did. What the reason was, now just a WAG, the resent laws passed against drag shows and protection kids. Now a judge has over ridden the law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Snaveba said:

I know everything. But I don’t know what I can/should comment on. 

As this is an undoubtedly "watched" site I wouldn't type anything that could/would come back to bite me.

And with that being said morning alphabets 🖕😁🖕

• Like 2
  • Haha 1