school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

Wish I had something more than a platitude to offer.  Have a co-worker with kids in the school across the street.  Would wonder where his head is today, hoping he and the wife get kids home sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I was in Brentwood yesterday and in a natural conversation, told my 11 year old that it's an upscale community, so it's pretty safe....

There is no such thing as a safe place in our society.  You only have varying scales of risk.

• Like 18
11 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I was in Brentwood yesterday and in a natural conversation, told my 11 year old that it's an upscale community, so it's pretty safe....

Never let your guard down. Criminals and psychos have cars. 

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Pure speculation on my part, but that’s what we do here. I have strong, strong suspicions, that we will discover that this is related to recent legislation.

That is an interesting suspicion. Can't say I disagree. 

• Like 1

The Covenant School (Covenant Presbyterian Church) has a very strong security process. My wife has been through several active shooter training courses including gun shot trauma first aid. They do active shooter drills with the students which is why they were able to lock down the students or get them out and to safety. They have to buzz visitors in. However, it is also a church.

Kusdo to the MNPD for actively engaging the shooter and killing her. 14minutes from the call the the end. 

if my wife had been there, she would very likely be dead right now. It was in the upstairs hall right in front of the school office. She would not have hesitated to rush to the aid of the students.

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Prayers for all the children, teachers, parents, administrators, church workers and congregation involved in this act of evil. 

I can't help but wonder if instead of a reaction to certain legislation, it was an act against a religious target with a school. Because that would make a huge splash. Parents put their children into private schools for two reasons, better education and for safety. Well, the safety reason has just been taken off the board. 🙁

• Like 2

At what point do we do what Ohio did and start giving these teachers options and training.  I have a 4 year old in school and I dread this every day shes there.  As a parent we should not have to.  Lets arm our teachers, get them training and end this nonsense. 

I almost want to look into home schooling to keep my daughter safe.

Snaveba, part of me is glad your wife was not there, because your post could be completely different than it is now.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Moped said:

Prayers for all the children, teachers, parents, administrators, church workers and congregation involved in this act of evil. 

I can't help but wonder if instead of a reaction to certain legislation, it was an act against a religious target with a school. Because that would make a huge splash. Parents put their children into private schools for two reasons, better education and for safety. Well, the safety reason has just been taken off the board. 🙁

The target in the timing are the genesis of my suspicions. I agree with everything you’ve written otherwise.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, desertsubi said:

At what point do we do what Ohio did and start giving these teachers options and training.  I have a 4 year old in school and I dread this every day shes there.  As a parent we should not have to.  Lets arm our teachers, get them training and end this nonsense. 

I almost want to look into home schooling to keep my daughter safe.

Snaveba, part of me is glad your wife was not there, because your post could be completely different than it is now.

That's happening quietly here officially. 

Unofficially some break the rules.

• Like 8
Just now, Alleycat72 said:

That's happening quietly here officially. 

Unofficially some break the rules.

Honestly Im ok with that too..   and If I ever EVER had to sit on a jury and it was for trying someone who broke said rules..  NOT GUILTY....  Im tired of society creating new ways to make more victims to psychopaths. 

• Like 9
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, desertsubi said:

Honestly Im ok with that too..   and If I ever EVER had to sit on a jury and it was for trying someone who broke said rules..  NOT GUILTY....  Im tired of society creating new ways to make more victims to psychopaths. 

Periodic reminder to folks to not skip jury duty. It’s an opportunity to do actual good. As a juror, you have not only the right, but the duty to vote on the validity of the law, as well as whether  or not the person is guilty of violating it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
37 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

The Covenant School (Covenant Presbyterian Church) has a very strong security process. My wife has been through several active shooter training courses including gun shot trauma first aid. They do active shooter drills with the students which is why they were able to lock down the students or get them out and to safety. They have to buzz visitors in. However, since it is also a church, and they have their own events, it is hard to keep all doors locked 

Kusdo to the MNPD for actively engaging the shooter and killing her. 14minutes from the call the the end. 

if my wife had been there, she would very likely be dead right now. It was in the upstairs hall right in front of the school office. She would not have hesitated to rush to the aid of the students.

I have nothing but emphatic sympathy for your wife and her grief she is feeling now as someone who missed death by mere chance and at the death of colleagues and children at her school. With that said there was a breakdown in the security protocol on some level as an armed adult opened a door and was able to reach children without resistance. I know it’s too early to know exactly how entrance was allowed but I think all schools need to examine their most effective defense, and that’s a securely locked door or multiple doors between the outside world and the kids 

• Like 2

They have the protocols to keep the door locked. There is speculation that she broke in, and I hope that is the case.  It has been reported that all the door were locked like they are supposed to be. If so, hopefully schools can learn from this. 

Edited by Snaveba
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Pure speculation on my part, but that’s what we do here. I have strong, strong suspicions, that we will discover that this is related to recent legislation.

Here’s my conspiracy theory. No doubt in my mind there are alphabet agency employees who monitor forums such as this along with other social media. I would not be surprised to learn they occasionally goad some nut into commuting a politically expedient and terrible act. The timing on these shootings, and often the details almost seem custom made to fit the current state of affairs in DC.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

At least in Tennessee our children are safe from drag queens and certain banned books.

I am taking this as a shot at the new laws?  Pretty poor taste if so.  A little false equivalancy?

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
24 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I know that and you know that, my 11 year old though....  I'll take on her worry for now.

13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I feel you there. It’s a tough line to walk. 

One morning last week, my eight-year-old daughter came into my exercise room, sat down on a bench and started watching the morning news that I had on the television.  I usually keep the volume off and just watch the headlines while I'm rowing.

Anyway, one of the news stories was about the lunatic in Nashville who attacked a woman in the laundromat and smashed her in the face and head with a piece of pipe.  All on CCTV, which the media felt necessary to play repeatedly during the report of the story.

My daughter commented on it, at which time I realized that she was in the room, so I quickly turned the TV off and told her that I really don't want her watching the news because it's almost always news about bad things.  She voiced her concerns about the fact that someone would do that to another person, and I responded that this is why dad carries a gun everywhere that we go and told her, "Bad stuff like this happens all the time.  That's why we pay attention to what is going on around us, so that we can react and get away."

It really blows that I have to engage in these conversations with my kids, but we live in a dysfunctional and dying world so I find myself having to be honest with them and explain why we take the precautions that we do.

She asked me, "Dad - would you have shot that person?".  Looking for assurance that I wouldn't have let it happen to us.

Yep, kiddo.  I'd have shot that person.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

At least in Tennessee our children are safe from drag queens and certain banned books.

I'm hearing rumors that some facts about the person who committed this crime today may make you wish you'd held on this comment if they are true.

• Like 7