Swimming animal at Tim's Ford in Winchester. What was it?

jgradyc

I was visiting a friend at Tim's Ford just after sunset when we saw an animal swim by in the lake. It was moving at a steady pace about as fast as man could swim giving off a steady ripple in the water. It was a steady pace about walking pace. It dove underwater 2-3 times in the minute it was in sight and would come up maybe 15 feet farther down the lakeside. I couldn't tell what it was because it was almost all underwater. It was maybe 30 yards offshore. The silhouette made it appear to be bigger than a mouse or a water snake... maybe about the size of a football or bigger?  All I could see was what appeared to be a nose. About 20 minutes later, another creature went by in the same direction that had the same pattern. What do you think this was? My friend spends every evening by the same lakeshore and this is the first time she has seen it. 

water creature.jpg

4 minutes ago, peejman said:

Turtle?

Turtle or snake was my first thought. But it didn't swim like a snake and it moved pretty fast and was steadily swimming nonstop for over 100 yards until it was out of sight. I don't think turtles do that.

1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

Turtle or snake was my first thought. But it didn't swim like a snake and it moved pretty fast and was steadily swimming nonstop for over 100 yards until it was out of sight. I don't think turtles do that.

Yeah, I think muskrat too. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.