CMA - Officially Joins Anti-Gun side of things..and other stuff

• Moderators

This is your periodic reminder that these folks are performers selling a product. The idea that they are like you or share your values is simply you projecting your thoughts onto them.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is your periodic reminder that these folks are performers selling a product. The idea that they are like you or share your values is simply you projecting your thoughts onto them.

So, you saying baby aint got my back? 🤣

• Haha 3
56 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Very true but when country music as a whole starts this I think they are only going to hurt themselves.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
39 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

Very true but when country music as a whole starts this I think they are only going to hurt themselves.

If you think country music is going to hurt themselves, you should see what Bud Light is doing. 😂

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect the 2A issue is something like 30% pro-2A, 30% anti-2A, and 40% don't care. If that's even close to accurate, decisions like this only anger a little over 1/4 of their fans. 

They don't take these positions as casually as you think. I bet they already know exactly how big the hit will be and how long it will last. After all, the shot-callers are money-grubbing record execs not the leftist artists, right?

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you think country music is going to hurt themselves, you should see what Bud Light is doing. 😂

Right, I just can't believe that they would pander to such a small percentage of the population when their customer base will leave in a much higher percentage.  

8 minutes ago, BigK said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect the 2A issue is something like 30% pro-2A, 30% anti-2A, and 40% don't care. If that's even close to accurate, decisions like this only anger a little over 1/4 of their fans. 

They don't take these positions as casually as you think. I bet they already know exactly how big the hit will be and how long it will last. After all, the shot-callers are money-grubbing record execs not the leftist artists, right?

I really don't think they care how many they lose, it has been shown that many companies have taken a big hit when they go woke, so it isn't like they don't know how it will go.  So, they either don't care or think way too much of themselves to believe they can pull it off when others couldn't.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Omega said:

Right, I just can't believe that they would pander to such a small percentage of the population when their customer base will leave in a much higher percentage.  

I really don't think they care how many they lose, it has been shown that many companies have taken a big hit when they go woke, so it isn't like they don't know how it will go.  So, they either don't care or think way too much of themselves to believe they can pull it off when others couldn't.

I REALLY thought Dick's would go out of business when they went woke-tard, but I was wrong.  It didn't happen to Coke, Nike, or any other business either.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Omega said:

Industry pressure i'm sure. sponsors, financial donors, etc.

Doesn't matter, I didn't watch it anyway.

1 minute ago, BigK said:

I REALLY thought Dick's would go out of business when they went woke-tard, but I was wrong.  It didn't happen to Coke, Nike, or any other business either.

Woke isn’t the bad thing a bunch of old people think it is or want it to be. Organizations make decisions based upon the bottom line. Maybe they’re conceding that the loss of revenue from anti-woke individuals isn’t enough to justify continuing to pander to that group. Over time the organizations will gain more revenue from a younger more diverse community than from an older more frugal community. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Links2k said:

Woke isn’t the bad thing a bunch of old people think it is or want it to be. Organizations make decisions based upon the bottom line. Maybe they’re conceding that the loss of revenue from anti-woke individuals isn’t enough to justify continuing to pander to that group. Over time the organizations will gain more revenue from a younger more diverse community than from an older more frugal community. 

yup, it's whatever will keep them profitable in the public eye. imagine if they didn't do anything and the entire media circus came after them.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Industry pressure i'm sure. sponsors, financial donors, etc.

Doesn't matter, I didn't watch it anyway.

Yeah, I haven't watched awards shows in years. I'm not their demographic. Seems like a lot of others aren't either, since just about every years has a smaller audience than the preceding year.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Links2k said:

You and I CLEARLY have a different opinion of what woke is then. Otherwise you'd know that the individuals you call anti-woke don't want to be pandered to at all. In fact, the whole point is that companies have successfully peddled their wares without being political for 100 years. Unnecessarily injecting woke politics into their ads is hurting their bottom line and they have even admitted it.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, BigK said:

They took a hit initially, but many have short memories and would buy from the devil himself if the price was right.  I personally haven't stepped foot in there since, not only because of the woke stance, but because I am not impressed with their prices, offerings or customer service.  I am sure they don't miss me, and that's ok, I will spend my money elsewhere.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Omega said:

They took a hit initially, but many have short memories and would buy from the devil himself if the price was right.  I personally haven't stepped foot in there since, not only because of the woke stance, but because I am not impressed with their prices, offerings or customer service.  I am sure they don't miss me, and that's ok, I will spend my money elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more! 

1 hour ago, BigK said:

You and I CLEARLY have a different opinion of what woke is then. Otherwise you'd know that the individuals you call anti-woke don't want to be pandered to at all. In fact, the whole point is that companies have successfully peddled their wares without being political for 100 years. Unnecessarily injecting woke politics into their ads is hurting their bottom line and they have even admitted it.

Everything is political and financial. I have no problem with the Woke agenda, and again it is not the insult that others may want it to be. Neither is being called liberal. Those two words say more about the speaker than the groups mentioned. 

The poll posted by another member gives a minuscule snapshot of the demographics of TGO, therefore the response to my opinion is to be expected. Again, these companies are betting long term that they will profit more from young people than 50-80 year old men stuck in the past. 

Times change, and those unwilling to adapt are left behind longing for the good old days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
7 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Everything is political and financial. I have no problem with the Woke agenda, and again it is not the insult that others may want it to be. Neither is being called liberal. Those two words say more about the speaker than the groups mentioned. 

The poll posted by another member gives a minuscule snapshot of the demographics of TGO, therefore the response to my opinion is to be expected. Again, these companies are betting long term that they will profit more from young people than 50-80 year old men stuck in the past. 

Times change, and those unwilling to adapt are left behind longing for the good old days. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree (politely, I hope) on whether liberalism and the woke agenda is good or bad. I will just say that their/your woke social agenda is NOT going to be met with the same resistance as when they/you start trying to dismantle The U.S. Constitution, starting with 2A, like the CMA is pandering to.

• Administrator

Oh.  Look.  Entertainers who only care that you send them your money are signing on to a popular cause in order to create the illusion that they give a #### about you.  How brave.  How stunning.  How bold.

Sarcastic Boy Meets World GIF

• Like 6
2 hours ago, BigK said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree (politely, I hope) on whether liberalism and the woke agenda is good or bad. I will just say that their/your woke social agenda is NOT going to be met with the same resistance as when they/you start trying to dismantle The U.S. Constitution, starting with 2A, like the CMA is pandering to.

Yes sir, we’ll respectfully disagree. I have no intention to or support anyone attempting to strip away the rights of anyone. I simply see things from a different perspective. 

I swore an oath to the constitution with two entities, and that still stands. It doesn’t stop me from understanding that people embrace or discard social change depending upon their life experiences. 

I’m not in the least worried about 2A rights being stripped away for the same reasons it was said foreigners would never invade the country. 

I personally couldn’t care less about the CMA, their members, their mutual admiration society, and the poor excuse for entertainment they put out.  Same goes for good music and their societies that think average folks give a damn and are hanging on to everything they do.

If you like the product, separate the “artist” from the “art”.  Then go study some history.  😀

The fact of the matter is there is no getting away from “woke”, whatever that means to you.  Entertainers, corporations, governments, etc., are going to try to build a customer base.  That will involve the perception or actual fact they are are supporting something you don’t believe in.  It is what it is and always has been that way.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1