CMA - Officially Joins Anti-Gun side of things..and other stuff

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If you like the product, separate the “artist” from the “art”.  Then go study some history. 😀

Yep! We’d miss out on a lot of good music and movies if we had to consider an artist political or social leanings before we indulged.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Yep! We’d miss out on a lot of good music and movies if we had to consider an artist political or social leanings before we indulged.  

We have not been to a movie in many years. We do not buy music, go to sports games or spend money on the "woke" company's. Some say we might lead a boring life, we do OK and keep our self's busy, fat and happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Links2k said:

It goes much deeper than entertainment, lol.  Western civilization, heck, all of mankind’s history is based on uh, “questionable morality”.  Depending on one’s definition of course.  

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, RED333 said:

We have not been to a movie in many years. We do not buy music, go to sports games or spend money on the "woke" company's. Some say we might lead a boring life, we do OK and keep our self's busy, fat and happy.

Ain’t American freedom great?  Seems like self inflicted punishment, but enjoy. 

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, RED333 said:

Same here and I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy that don't feel like self-inflicted punishment at all.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, BigK said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect the 2A issue is something like 30% pro-2A, 30% anti-2A, and 40% don't care. If that's even close to accurate, decisions like this only anger a little over 1/4 of their fans. 

They don't take these positions as casually as you think. I bet they already know exactly how big the hit will be and how long it will last. After all, the shot-callers are money-grubbing record execs not the leftist artists, right?

I don't think that's how it works nowadays. What you now have is these liberal groups that threaten them if they don't take certain stances on certain social issues. Yes, they do these things in a calculated manner, but these Soros funded groups are threatening to make all out war against them if they don't do their bidding.

Look at the whole Bud Light deal. They aren't stupid, they knew they were going to get some backlash by having a trans in their advertising, but they calculated that it wouldn't be as bad as if they had told Soros no. I think they miscalculated pushback, but they are really in a no win situation money wise. This same thing has happened to NASCAR, the NFL, banks, and all other sorts of big corporations.

There is a whole lot more to this than just some association and corporation executives deciding they want to "go woke". Most associations and corporations had rather just stay out of politics, and concentrate on what they make or otherwise offer the consumer, but their hand is being forced by these Soros funded groups. These woke groups have a lot more power than we do, they have the media on their side and have to power to completely destroy even the biggest corporations. About all i can do is spread the word and just not give them any of my money.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, Links2k said:

Times change, and those unwilling to adapt are left behind longing for the good old days. 

I understand times change, but it's a little different with things like technology changing and your moral values changing. For instance, I don't want a electric vehicle, but the current trend is to eventually do away with ICE vehicles. I won't like it but I suspect if I live long enough I could very well be driving a EV. I will not change or adapt my moral values, and I will submit anybody willing to do so didn't have very good values to start with. It's also up to us older people to instill our moral values into the younger people.

I just can't buy into the notion that we should just accept changing times and jump on board or get left behind. Like has been said "you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything". 

• Like 1

I grew up on Country Music and loved it. But then I was listening to the likes of Johnny, Merle, George and Tammy and such. But I gave up on it somewhere around the turn of the century. What they call Country these days sounds more like bad 80s pop to me. It seems that somewhere along the way Country Music lost its soul. 😪

So I really don't care what the CMA or its members do. These ain't my people anymore. 🙁

As for being woke? I'm gettin' old and I'm set in my ways. I ain't woke and never will be. If you don't like it, tuff. 😛

• Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I grew up on Country Music and loved it. But then I was listening to the likes of Johnny, Merle, George and Tammy and such. But I gave up on it somewhere around the turn of the century. What they call Country these days sounds more like bad 80s pop to me. It seems that somewhere along the way Country Music lost its soul. 😪

The real stuff is called “Americana” these days and there is plenty of it…and it’s good.  Check out what WEVL’s schedule is in Memphis (FM 89.9), they have programming at certain times for that stuff, or if you really want to get down find WDVX online.  That’s an independent East TN radio station that really delivers.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The real stuff is called “Americana” these days and there is plenty of it…and it’s good.  Check out what WEVL’s schedule is in Memphis (FM 89.9), they have programming at certain times for that stuff, or if you really want to get down find WDVX online.  That’s an independent East TN radio station that really delivers.

WEVL is my favorite radio station. As soon as I am in range, it stays on in the car/truck until I am out of range. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

WEVL is my favorite radio station. As soon as I am in range, it stays on in the car/truck until I am out of range. 

It’s one of my favorites.  The variety and quality of what they play is incredible.  When I’m in Memphis that’s what the radio is tuned to.

• Like 1

I have Bobby Bare on my Pandora artist list and that channel plays all my old favorites. Some are so obscure i don't think they ever made it on air. At least I dont recall hearing them played 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I have Bobby Bare on my Pandora artist list and that channel plays all my old favorites. Some are so obscure i don't think they ever made it on air. At least I dont recall hearing them played 

Embrace and support local radio.   Listen to music as it supposed to be…random.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, m16ty said:

I don't think that's how it works nowadays. What you now have is these liberal groups that threaten them if they don't take certain stances on certain social issues. Yes, they do these things in a calculated manner, but these Soros funded groups are threatening to make all out war against them if they don't do their bidding.

Look at the whole Bud Light deal. They aren't stupid, they knew they were going to get some backlash by having a trans in their advertising, but they calculated that it wouldn't be as bad as if they had told Soros no. I think they miscalculated pushback, but they are really in a no win situation money wise. This same thing has happened to NASCAR, the NFL, banks, and all other sorts of big corporations.

There is a whole lot more to this than just some association and corporation executives deciding they want to "go woke". Most associations and corporations had rather just stay out of politics, and concentrate on what they make or otherwise offer the consumer, but their hand is being forced by these Soros funded groups. These woke groups have a lot more power than we do, they have the media on their side and have to power to completely destroy even the biggest corporations. About all i can do is spread the word and just not give them any of my money.       

I do agree with your assessment of this situation. As you say, I don't like it either. Not a lot an old decrepit codge like me an do except voice opinions and hope that someone else listens.

There are a lot of us old people in this country, how about an organised group expressing these same opinions to the public? Oh...wait. There is one. The AARP.

It may have started out with good intentions, but sure isn't much more than a self-serving group preying on old people these days.

Pessemism at it's finest today! In a bad mood. Sorry.

10 hours ago, hipower said:

It may have started out with good intentions, but sure isn't much more than a self-serving group preying on old people these days.

The AARP started as a marketing device for selling insurance to old people.  Today it still sells insurance, but it also is a large lobbying organization that, while officially nonpartisan, spends tens of millions of dollars each year lobbying for programs espoused by the Democratic Party.   And of course, more gun control is one of those programs.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Whisper said:

The AARP started as a marketing device for selling insurance to old people.  Today it still sells insurance, but it also is a large lobbying organization that, while officially nonpartisan, spends tens of millions of dollars each year lobbying for programs espoused by the Democratic Party.   And of course, more gun control is one of those programs.

Cheers,

Whisper

Yes...I left that aspect out. I just got tired of attempting to be humorous on this one. Was pooped after a long day of medical testing.

• Like 1