Snapping Turtle??

Have a guy here at work that would get a bunch of them.聽 One day they cooked some here for the crew, it definitely didn't taste like chicken, more akin to fish with a meat texture to it, it wasn't bad, but nothing I would seek out either.

2 hours ago, Omega said:

Have a guy here at work that would get a bunch of them.聽 One day they cooked some here for the crew, it definitely didn't taste like chicken, more akin to fish with a meat texture to it, it wasn't bad, but nothing I would seek out either.

Yep!! They don't taste lie Chicken but like you said more of a fishy taste. How did the guy cook the meat. My mother would make turtle nuggets as main coarse and then put 3 or 4 sides with it to make a meal. I agree, it's not something I would go out of my way to eat but if it is offered I would probably eat it.

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Yep!! They don't taste lie Chicken but like you said more of a fishy taste. How did the guy cook the meat. My mother would make turtle nuggets as main coarse and then put 3 or 4 sides with it to make a meal. I agree, it's not something I would go out of my way to eat but if it is offered I would probably eat it.

Yea, not something to wrinkle my nose at, but wasn't overly fond of the taste, and I like fish.聽 I don't know how they prepped it, but it wasn't a soup, just recall chunks of meat.聽聽

16 hours ago, Omega said:

Yea, not something to wrinkle my nose at, but wasn't overly fond of the taste, and I like fish.聽 I don't know how they prepped it, but it wasn't a soup, just recall chunks of meat.聽聽

Nuggets sounds like what you may have had. My Mother battered the nuggets with a little Cajun spice added and fried them just like chicken.

They are a pain to clean but pretty tasty. Not something I would seek out and not something I grew up with but I did have a coworker that loved them. He introduced me to them when he brought some into work. After that he seemed to find one about once ever year or so on the way into work so he would clean it up behind the shop and fry it up for everyone at at lunch.聽

19 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I don't like turtle, don't like fish or sea food, either.

I know several people that don't like seafood or fresh water fish and I say to each his own.聽 It took me quite a while to get up the nerve to try Oysters on the half shell聽 and I guess I was about 50 before I finally tried them and saw what I had been missing for years....lol.