Nashville Hot Chicken@Publix

Will

Back in the day when I was young and dumb I let a few friends talk me into trying some hot chicken wings. That was my only experience with hot chicken. I had white blisters in my mouth for about a week. Never again and that was about 40 years ago......LOL.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Back in the day when I was young and dumb I let a few friends talk me into trying some hot chicken wings. That was my only experience with hot chicken. I had white blisters in my mouth for about a week. Never again and that was about 40 years ago......LOL.

Same thing happened to me.  "Take a bite" they said.  "You'll love it" they said.  I took a bite and ate Cream of Wheat for a month!

I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.  Ain't bitin' on that one agin'!

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Luckyforward said:

Same thing happened to me.  "Take a bite" they said.  "You'll love it" they said.  I took a bite and ate Cream of Wheat for a month!

I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.  Ain't bitin' on that one agin'!

I think I ate 200 pop cycles and Fudge cycles and was finally able to get warm tomato soup down but I learned my lesson and never tried it again.....LOL

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I think I ate 200 pop cycles and Fudge cycles and was finally able to get warm tomato soup down but I learned my lesson and never tried it again.....LOL

I ate so many cherry popsicles I HAVE NEVER EATEN ONE AGAIN!  My tongue looked blood red for 6 weeks.  Everyone thought I was sick . . . which I was!

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Only had Princes in Nashville once. I normally like pretty hot food and tried to order Hot and the server asked if it was my first time and I said yes, she suggested one up from no heat which my wife had ordered. I decided to take her suggestion and it was plenty hot for me. I plan to try Publics hot chicken it is about 200 miles closer.

Edited by Jeb48
11 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I use to order the hottest they had at any of the Hot Chicken Places. Fun fact: If you eat enough Ghost Pepper your pee will burn when you go. Alas, today my intestines will not tolerate what either my mouth or butt can handle. I had some Hattie B's Damned Hot last week while downtown for VA visits, and my wife could hear my guts rumbling from 3 feet away.

I had a friend who asked me once "Why is it the only flavor my butt recognizes is fiery hot? Why can't I sit down on the toilet and think, aaahh jelly filled donuts?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There was a YT series I used to watch where they invited a celebrity to eat progressively hotter wings while they're being interviewed. I got a little obsessed and joined their hot sauce of the month club. Each month I'd get a hot, medium, and mild sauce. Most were darn good, but the hottest ones just tasted like chemical burns in your mouth. 

Edited by BigK
misspelling
18 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I had a friend explain it once. He loves spicy stuff. For some people, they get a little head buzz from it. I guess all the endorphins or something. It's misery for us normal people and enjoyment for them. 

The rest are just trying to act tough I suppose. 😀

My late b-i-l was an aficianado of the hot stuff. Dipped his fries in Japanese Hot Mustard. Never seen him find a spice or "hot sauce/spicy food" he wouldn't eat and ask for more. The higher the heat rating the more he liked it.

I don't know that he was trying to prove anything, but I do think he was a little crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Yeah, my experience with hot chicken had me eating ice cream when I got home. I think I went thru a gallon that afternoon.

My wife just laughed and laughed. She can be cruel sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 4/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, NoBanStan said:

I'm 43 and grew up in middle TN. Where did Nashville hot chicken come from???

Suddenly one day.... *poof* Nashville is famous for it's hot chicken!

meanwhile me:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Cultural appropriation and gentirfication. Hot Chicken places have been around for many decades in Nashville. They were hole in the wall places in mostly black neighborhoods frequented by primarily black folks and the few "in the know" white locals. 

Then hipsters and developers took East Nashville back, shot the property values through the roof, found out how good that food was, and decided they needed to make a buck off of it. 

There are several places better than Princes but it is the "original" and still the primary gold standard. Started going to places like Bolton's in East Nashville in the late 90's or early 2000's when my Nashville native wife brought me here. Her parents grew up in East Nashville and her Mom was one of those "in the know" local white folks. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

Cultural appropriation and gentirfication. Hot Chicken places have been around for many decades in Nashville. They were hole in the wall places in mostly black neighborhoods frequented by primarily black folks and the few "in the know" white locals. 

Then hipsters and developers took East Nashville back, shot the property values through the roof, found out how good that food was, and decided they needed to make a buck off of it. 

There are several places better than Princes but it is the "original" and still the primary gold standard. Started going to places like Bolton's in East Nashville in the late 90's or early 2000's when my Nashville native wife brought me here. Her parents grew up in East Nashville and her Mom was one of those "in the know" local white folks. 

Man, I HATE the term 'cultural appropriation' like its a bad thing to like the 'culture' or even adopt some of it, that originates with another culture or race.  I see where it can sometimes be a bad thing but probably not usually. until lately it seems.  But, lol, i hate hot chicken, whether its the NaSHVILLE VARIANT OR OTHERWISE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Admin Team

The old bolton’s on 8th was wonderful.  Their hot fish was so good.

They went out of business when Hattie B’s opened a franchise across the street.

AJ’s Hot Fish and Chicken was great too.  My favorite was when they were out of the trailer on Ashland City Highway.

I like Prince’s fine.  I think their chicken is the best - but people are going to take people to Hattie B’s so they can get some sides.

If something is good - someone is going to come along and try to make some money off of it.

I’ll have to try the Publix variant.  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Defender said:

Man, I HATE the term 'cultural appropriation' like its a bad thing to like the 'culture' or even adopt some of it, that originates with another culture or race.  I see where it can sometimes be a bad thing but probably not usually. until lately it seems.  But, lol, i hate hot chicken, whether its the NaSHVILLE VARIANT OR OTHERWISE.

Liking another culture is Cultural Appreciation, not the same thing. 
Cultural Appropriation is taking an aspect of another culture, repackaging or dressing it up, pawning it off as some new great idea or new thing, and then profiting from it.

Happens all the time. Some of it is blatant and some of it is subtle. Some of it has even become so mainstream we do not even consider it as originating from another culture.

BBQ is an example of the later. BBQ's roots are in Southern Black populations, slaves and former slaves. Cheap tough cuts of meat often discarded by the more affluent. Most everyone loves and appreciates it. White, black, and brown pit masters are celebrated as long as their skills warrant it. Now it is mostly a regional debate of style or ingredient choices. Pork vs. Beef, vinegar vs. sweet sauce, pulled vs. chopped, State favorites, dry vs. wet, St. Louis ribs vs. Memphis style ribs, Texas vs. everyone else, and everyone vs. the abomination that is Carolina mustard sauce. 

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 1

Lucky for the world all someone can do about cultural appropriation is whine and cry about it. If I like tacos and my dream is to open a taco truck, there's no  way I'm going to defer my dream because my culture didn't invent tacos. That's ludicrous. Nobody ran to defend Greek culture when Duncan started selling yo-yos or German culture for culturally appropriation of potato salad. This country is a melting pot, we can't come together if people are butthurt about such silly notions as "my people" are the only ones that can do this or that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OldIronFan said:

Liking another culture is Cultural Appreciation, not the same thing. 
Cultural Appropriation is taking an aspect of another culture, repackaging or dressing it up, pawning it off as some new great idea or new thing, and then profiting from it.

Happens all the time. Some of it is blatant and some of it is subtle. Some of it has even become so mainstream we do not even consider it as originating from another culture.

BBQ is an example of the later. BBQ's roots are in Southern Black populations, slaves and former slaves. Cheap tough cuts of meat often discarded by the more affluent. Most everyone loves and appreciates it. White, black, and brown pit masters are celebrated as long as their skills warrant it. Now it is mostly a regional debate of style or ingredient choices. Pork vs. Beef, vinegar vs. sweet sauce, pulled vs. chopped, State favorites, dry vs. wet, St. Louis ribs vs. Memphis style ribs, Texas vs. everyone else, and everyone vs. the abomination that is Carolina mustard sauce. 

Not to argue, but, when the exact same things happen within one’s culture, then it’s ok, but not when it’s another’s culture?  I guess that’s why we will never move away from racial issues.  When we get close, there’s always someone stirring the pot.  Anyway, BBQ roots go back further.  Depending on what you consider bbq.   I’ve read it’s roots started longer ago than America existed, ancient Sumerian or Egypt, some evidence exists, some say that it existed even before modern man did, but even here in the south, it likely started in Mexico, then moved to Texas.  I do believe that the best bbq is in the south, by black or white people.  But when I spent time in Texas I thought theirs was pretty good too.  

Next comment isn’t about bbq, but about culture.  When I first went into the USAF back in 190sh**, I got sent to a base in upstate New York.  At the chow hall, they had weekly specials from different  cultures.  One week it might be  Italian, another Mexican, etc. then came the week they were having ‘soul food’.  Well there weren’t a lot of options for us, but I wasn’t looking forward to having that.  I’d had all the other styles before, but had never even heard of this kind.  When we got there it sure smelled good, and I ate up. One of my friends, seeing I liked it, asked me if I’d ever had it before.  I said oh yeah but we didn’t know it by this name.  He said what did you call in in the south?  Food, I replied. Lol.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Defender said:

One of my friends, seeing I liked it, asked me if I’d ever had it before.  I said oh yeah but we didn’t know it by this name.  He said what did you call in in the south?  Food, I replied. Lol.

Same thing happened to me in HS, a close friend invited me to supper. I never turn down a home-cooked meal, but he seemed anxious for me to see how his people eat. It was just like we ate at my house, except we there was no eggs in the greens and his momma put sugar in her cornbread. LOL

I'll argue to my dying days that we all have more things in common than things we don't. Some folks just keep pointing out the differences to keep us at odds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was referring to what is now Southern BBQ, i.e. pulled pork, ribs, and brisket. Low and slow with a big 'ol smoke ring. Obviously cooking whole or partial animals over open flame and wood goes back a lot farther than US southern BBQ.
There really is nothing new in the world. People just keep "rediscovering" things and bringing them back into the spotlight or favor. 

I am also not saying that a white guy from new jersey opening a taco stand is somehow bad. The appropriation is only an issue when companies or individuals do it with the attitude, marketing, and belief that they are somehow original or it was their amazing development. Same goes for companies buying up a small business and then marketing it as "original" while franchising it all over the country. 

Edited by OldIronFan
On 4/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, E4 No More said:

I use to order the hottest they had at any of the Hot Chicken Places. Fun fact: If you eat enough Ghost Pepper your pee will burn when you go. Alas, today my intestines will not tolerate what either my mouth or butt can handle. I had some Hattie B's Damned Hot last week while downtown for VA visits, and my wife could hear my guts rumbling from 3 feet away.

You're right about the Ghost pepper. As they used to say about Brylcreme, a little dab will do ya.

I like spicy, but Ghost pepper is my limit.

Haven't tried the Nashville stuff.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

That super hot Nashville X stuff is kinda like the chili I make sometimes.  There’s so much spice on/in you can still see it since it can’t even dissolve, lol.

When I was younger, I loved spicy hot foods. It wasn’t hot enough unless it made me sweat, lol.  I used to have to make two batches of my chili, one for me snd one for the wife and kids!  Those days are gone, lol.  Now the least little amount of hotness burns my mouth.  Age or whatever, but I just can’t handle it anymore.  Now I even have to put mild chili seasoning in my chili instead of copious amounts of chili powder.