Here we go again

DJTC45

As far as the young man in KY like a normal young man with a lot going for him. One of the first mass shootings that happened was from the observation tower at Texas A&M by a shooter Charles Whitman seemed normal until he killed his wife with a knife before putting all his arms in a duffle bag and headed for the College. Once there he entered the tower door and shooting the woman at the desk and then proceeded to go up to the tower steps to the observation tower and opened fire on unsuspecting people just going about their day. He had killed or wounded 20 + people and when the police arrived he opened fire on them. The only weapons the police has was pistols and shotguns which were useless as long as he was up on to tower. It was a wide open area all the way around the tower. About 20 minutes later 3 Ranchers showed up with high powered rifles that could reach Whitman and they made him duck down and stop shooting. Every time he raised up to shoot he would get fired at and they kept him penned down till 2 police officers were able to get to the door. Once they got up where he was the officers shot him several times killing him. An autopsy later revealed that he has a pecan size tumor on his brain and said that was what caused him to do what he did. Now with that said and they found out what caused Whitman to do what he did how many of these mass shooters we have today don't have similar issues that are being kept from the news and public because they want to blame the guns.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

The Police Chief said that the officer that got shot in the head is in stable but bad condition. He graduated the academy 10 days ago and was just on the road this week . Terrible ! I think he was in his early 20's. 

Absolutely horrible.  😞 

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Omega said:

Just another leftie that lost his shtuff:

REVEALED: Suspected Kentucky bank shooter posted anti-Trump, pro-lockdown content on Reddit | The Post Millennial | thepostmillennial.com

Don't see this lasting long in the news cycle after this reveal.

Conflicted social media posting Lib working in an evil racist Capitalist Bank?  Nope won't be mentioned in MSM unless they can portray him as being bullied by the greedy conservative bankers for being a morally woke SJW.  Just the important stuff will be spoonfed to the low information public.

Young white male.

AR 15 "assault style" rifle.

Republicans and NRA bad

Gun owning citizens bad

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Conflicted social media posting Lib working in an evil racist Capitalist Bank?  Nope won't be mentioned in MSM unless they can portray him as being bullied by the greedy conservative bankers for being a morally woke SJW.  Just the important stuff will be spoonfed to the low information public.

Young white male.

AR 15 "assault style" rifle.

Republicans and NRA bad

Gun owning citizens bad

Sadly, with the vast majority of the MSM being in the left's pocket, you're right. Most will only learn what liberal news outlets want them to know and they'll use it against the people who are the opposite of this shooter.

• Like 2
On 4/10/2023 at 4:27 PM, BigK said:

you're right, we'll probably never know all the details and I admit that my curiosity about those kind of details is a little morbid, but I can't help myself

Yo're right. We all want the details of what occurred. Curiosity...yes. Morbid...no, I don't think so. Any thinking person wants to know the how and if possible, the why of such acts. Maybe we think it will give us a better insight into the psyche of these disturbed shooters/killers. 

As firearms owners, we all want to know what the shooters use. It's just a part of our makeup. Well, now that I say this...perhaps it is a bit on the morbid side; but we are not going about gleefully knowing what a particular weapon/caliber can do to a human body and celebrating it because we might just happen to own a similar weapon.

Curiosity is a strange and wonderous think. It gives us the ability to think and learn. Some of us just seem to need to kill to satisfy that need. 

Not well spoken here, but hope it makes sense to you as you read.

• Like 3
On 4/12/2023 at 2:24 AM, hipower said:

Yo're right. We all want the details of what occurred. Curiosity...yes. Morbid...no, I don't think so. Any thinking person wants to know the how and if possible, the why of such acts. Maybe we think it will give us a better insight into the psyche of these disturbed shooters/killers. 

As firearms owners, we all want to know what the shooters use. It's just a part of our makeup. Well, now that I say this...perhaps it is a bit on the morbid side; but we are not going about gleefully knowing what a particular weapon/caliber can do to a human body and celebrating it because we might just happen to own a similar weapon.

Curiosity is a strange and wonderous think. It gives us the ability to think and learn. Some of us just seem to need to kill to satisfy that need. 

Not well spoken here, but hope it makes sense to you as you read.

You can find quite a bit about the KY Bank shooter if you google it. I learned that he purchased the gun just 5 days before he went to the bank. He also did tell one close friend that he was suicidal but the friend did not get the voice mail until it was to late. I take that with a grain of salt. Just like I take the fact that the parents of the school shooter didn't know she had those guns and new she was unstable emotionally. I believe if I had a child that had emotional issues under a doctors care and was living at home at age 28 I would know a lot more about her activities....JMHO

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I never left the house that day. What I wonder is why I am vilified for this act simply because I choose to enjoy my second amendment right.

My friend, if you could get a good answer, I'd be surprised. To me, the gist of all the anti arguments boil down to the "I don't like guns. So you can't have any."

All sorts of add-ons to that, but that's my take on the whole thing.

A bit off-track, maybe, but my wife and I were watching the 6 PM, Channel 5 News as Lee's Red Flag was being discussed. She still doesn't seem to understand why I'm so vehemently opposed to it.

Summed it up this way. Liberal, MoM's Demand Action, nerighbor calls and says "My neighbor has a gun. I'm scared. He shouldn't have it." Police come and take gun(s) without any notice. I can't stop it.

Why should neighbor be able to do this? 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, hipower said:

"I don't like guns. So you can't have any."

One of the variations of that argument that makes me nuts is, "I hunt with a [bolt action, muzzle-loader, knife, whatever] and no one needs a more efficient weapon than I choose to use."  People STILL want to approach the 2A discussion as if it's about hunting, and a lot of gun owners are willing to accept some restrictions, so long as those restrictions don't include their personal favorite activity. 

I get why some people would advocate for so-called "red flag" laws, but the lack of due process requirements could lead to the kind of consequences that hipower mentions above. 

• Like 3

(Quote, hipower)

Summed it up this way. Liberal, MoM's Demand Action, neighbor calls and says "My neighbor has a gun. I'm scared. He shouldn't have it." Police come and take gun(s) without any notice. I can't stop it.

Red flag laws, IMO, be may be OK if they would address this issue hipower brings up. It must have regress or review so the innocent cannot be unduly blamed by someone who has a dislike of guns, or a mad wife or family member. The law must have some kind of regress to be able to restore one's rights and ability to poses tools. I don't want the mentally ill getting guns, but then, how do you stop them with laws? Thats not working now. Background checks was supposed to fix that. Now it only serves as a Defacto "gun registry." (Quote), "He purchased the AR 15 legally."  Where do they get that info????? 

By the way, the much-hated NRA said this would happen years ago. "It would be nothing but a gun registry!" How's that working today.....

• Thanks 1

Referring to Gov. Lee's coments on "strengthening background checks." How would this be done? We are already screened by TBI/HomeLand Security, and I understand in some cases, sent up the line for FBI checks as well.

What more can be done?  Interview school teachers, friends and neighbors(hope not in this), go into family history? Is TN in for a waiting perion to purchase?

Just where does this get stronger?

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I was wondering the same thing. 

All the talking heads throw this line out. So do the politicians on both sides. I don't think any of them understand what a "background check/ TICS" really is.

Most of them are still thinking we just walk into an FFL(and that's another thing the majority of the population don't understand) and pick out a 50 Caliber, 100 round pistol, and walk out with it.

I cannot say how many times I've gone thru the TICS process, and not sure I really want to know, but in close to 45 years, I've never been denied or had a question arise. Guess I've led a boring life.

I get so frustrated, and I'm sure all of us do when we hear all this again and again. It's absolutely the fault of that "evil black rifle" that these children, those nightclub goers, and office workers were killed. 

Usually the story leads with "So and so killed today by an AR15!" The person holding the rifle and pulling the trigger comes later in the story.

Like others, I can say in 63 years of gun use, I, or anything I have been holding/shooting, has killed or even jumped up and shot at anyone.

Now I will admit that at 15, my Dad's Remington 12 guage did shoot some chickens in our garden, but I warned them beforehand! 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I keep telling y'all. Its all about appearances. In politics you don't have to actually do anything as long as you can make it look like you're trying to. The antis know all too well that they ain't got a snowballs chance in Hell of actually passing anything. But by God, they sure look good trying. 🙄 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I keep telling y'all. Its all about appearances. In politics you don't have to actually do anything as long as you can make it look like you're trying to. The antis know all too well that they ain't got a snowballs chance in Hell of actually passing anything. But by God, they sure look good trying. 🙄 

Yep! The appearance of doing something. The key to a long, successful political career! Uncle Joe has done this all his life...and look where it got him!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
5 hours ago, pop pop said:

(Quote, hipower)

Summed it up this way. Liberal, MoM's Demand Action, neighbor calls and says "My neighbor has a gun. I'm scared. He shouldn't have it." Police come and take gun(s) without any notice. I can't stop it.

Red flag laws, IMO, be may be OK if they would address this issue hipower brings up. It must have regress or review so the innocent cannot be unduly blamed by someone who has a dislike of guns, or a mad wife or family member. The law must have some kind of regress to be able to restore one's rights and ability to poses tools. I don't want the mentally ill getting guns, but then, how do you stop them with laws? Thats not working now. Background checks was supposed to fix that. Now it only serves as a Defacto "gun registry." (Quote), "He purchased the AR 15 legally."  Where do they get that info????? 

By the way, the much-hated NRA said this would happen years ago. "It would be nothing but a gun registry!" How's that working today.....

Changed my comment on this. Re-read several times and I really like what you say and how you said it.

A good. concise statetment on what's happening today. I usuall comment to my wife about how they/police know how and when something is purchased.

Isn't it strange? 

1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

My take on this , is it's not so much about gun control, but just control . Gun control is a tool. Once they have our guns, then they can control us.

JMHO

Two things.

First, I’m against red flag laws. I’m also not crazy about background checks.

Second, and this is a very serious question for my own better understanding.  How much more control can “they” get?  I ask because, I’ve never felt so free since I retired, and it’s allowed me to really evaluate life.  Even in retirement, choices are still limited to a structured system. So, have we ever really experienced true freedom, and how much more control outside of actual slavery can “they” gain over an individual?

It seems from the moment we’re born, we’re constantly being guided, groomed, programmed or controlled. Very few of our choices are our own. They feel like our choices, but they’re only limited options provided to us to hopefully, successfully navigate and succeed or fail in structured and rigid society. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Two things.

First, I’m against red flag laws. I’m also not crazy about background checks.

Second, and this is a very serious question for my own better understanding.  How much more control can “they” get?  I ask because, I’ve never felt so free since I retired, and it’s allowed me to really evaluate life.  Even in retirement, choices are still limited to a structured system. So, have we ever really experienced true freedom, and how much more control outside of actual slavery can “they” gain over an individual?

It seems from the moment we’re born, we’re constantly being guided, groomed, programmed or controlled. Very few of our choices are our own. They feel like our choices, but they’re only limited options provided to us to hopefully, successfully navigate and succeed or fail in structured and rigid society. 

T'was a pretty good system back when adults were in charge.

• Like 2

I just went and read the questions on the application you have to fill out to purchase a firearm. The questions asked about a persons mental state are for the most part useless. Any 3rd grader could answer those and pass the back ground check. In the last 2 shootings the police said the weapons used were bought legally. That is a lie. Both shooters were proven to have mental issues after the fact and both had been under a doctors care and prescribed medications. The school shooters parents stated they they knew their daughter was suffering from emotional and depression and were concerned that she had purchased a gun. That should have raised a red flag with them to get her help and they didn't. The shooter at the bank had a personality change that was showing up for about 10 days prior that folks that knew him was obvious and he suffered several concussions while playing sports in high school and even though he was showing signs of problems no one stepped up to offer him help. He reached out to a friend in a text and a voice mail but they were not received until it was to late. He had also been seen by a doctor and on medication. Just being prescribed medications doesn't mean the person is going to take them. My point to this long post is RED FLAG laws will not address this issue. Maybe if they are going to address the mental issue about mentally ill people lying on the application they need to create a place where the doctors can put information on people they treat that can be recorded. It could be like a mental hospital file that could be a part of the back ground check.....JMHO

• Like 2

Lying on a 4473? NO. Never have I. Except for that weight question. LOL

I did have a copy of the newest 4473, but can't locate it at the moment; so I'm just spitballin' from memory here.

I saw a new question about our purchase and purpose for the item. Do you intend to keep it or resell it?

That throws a whole 'nother monkey into the barrel. Can we be gotten for lying on the form if we don't like the purchase and then sell it. 

Seems like Question 22a or 23a. I was taalking to Phil at Bellshire and he showed it to me.

35 minutes ago, hipower said:

Lying on a 4473? NO. Never have I. Except for that weight question. LOL

I did have a copy of the newest 4473, but can't locate it at the moment; so I'm just spitballin' from memory here.

I saw a new question about our purchase and purpose for the item. Do you intend to keep it or resell it?

That throws a whole 'nother monkey into the barrel. Can we be gotten for lying on the form if we don't like the purchase and then sell it. 

Seems like Question 22a or 23a. I was taalking to Phil at Bellshire and he showed it to me.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

The following two prohibiting questions have been added to Section B:

21b: “Do you intend to purchase or acquire any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition, for sale of other disposition to any person described in questions 21(c)-(m) or to a person described in question 21.n.1 who does not fall within a nonimmigrant exception?”

21.c.: “Do you intend to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition in furtherance of any felony or other offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of more than one year, a Federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense?”

Don't recall these so must have been added after my last few FFL purchases.  I just noticed they added ammo, I guess they expect BG checks for ammo to become popular.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2020/06/24/ags-states-checks-ammo-purchases-n38245

Edited by Omega
Speeling
  • Thanks 1