Nashville Walgreens employee shoots shoplifter

10-Ring

I worked in retail loss prevention for over 5 years.  I absolutely did some dumb things in that time.  Some corporation's belongings that they will write off if stolen are not worth your own legal problems.  The details from the article are lacking, but I this very well may have been a bad shoot.  

https://www.wsmv.com/2023/04/13/police-investigating-self-defense-claim-shooting-pregnant-alleged-shoplifter/

I'd have to see what the interaction looked like.  I've said in the past, when one party is armed and another party does something to handicap that party, it becomes a life and death confrontation because the assailant may just get hold of that weapon.  So if she continued the assault, then yea, good shoot, if not, say she was trying to drive off, then no, bad shoot.

I need more info before I can say one way or another. For me I would not have gotten close to the lady as the shooter did. Make that phone call to 911, give  tag number, get a good look at the car, and the people in the car.

15 hours ago, BigK said:

I'm sick to death of thievery and she did assault him first, but I don't see how a reasonable person could turn that into justification for use of deadly force.

Honestly, in 2023, the easiest thing for him to do was play deaf and look away. And I mean exactly that. He  would have been paid the same and would have not been disciplined for not responding. I think that's pretty much what we want them to do anyway, like cigar store indians...

Edited by OMCHamlin

As long as they are in the store they are not shop lifting. They have to leave the store without paying for it to be shoplifting.  Once the person has left the store they have also left his juristic and to follow them was totally wrong. It was a bad shoot and Walgreens will be sued and the guy will probably go to jail.....JMHO

• Like 1

Definitely Walgreens will be sued and the shooter may face jail and lawsuits. For sure the shooter won’t likely work for Walgreens again. 
Employees in retail are not the police and it’s not worth loosing your life chasing after a shop lifter.  No matter what management tells you, the company will not have your back if it goes sideways. He is lucky he was only peppered sprayed.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, TennesseeCamper said:

Definitely Walgreens will be sued and the shooter may face jail and lawsuits. For sure the shooter won’t likely work for Walgreens again. 
Employees in retail are not the police and it’s not worth loosing your life chasing after a shop lifter.  No matter what management tells you, the company will not have your back if it goes sideways. He is lucky he was only peppered sprayed.  

Especially in EAST Nashville!

Ok, I want to add to and amend my above comment. Parts of East Nashville have a "reputation" and it is well deserved. 

This particular area, as well as the "Murder Kroger"(as it is known by around here, are in a fairly high crime portion of Inglewood and East Nashville. 

No, I'm notdownplaying or dispariging the area. I live nearby. Sort of the fringe between East and Madison.

When we moved here, it was considered a "sketchy" area at best. That has changed over the years. The influx of out of state buyers has caused a lot of gentrification all around. Property values have skyrocketed. So also have the property taxes. This has caused/forced changes in the demographics of the area. Not always to the benefit of locals. Many older folks who bought or built home in this area have been forced out because of this. I won't go into the good/bad debate or it here. For better or worse, it's the way of things.

Now this change and prosperity has also changed the makeup of the population. High(er) income, younger people move in. Usually less concerned and sometimes even less aware of what this change can, and most often does.

As surrounding folks are puched away' and these are mostly older. An element sees this a rich pickings for easy money. Smash'n'grabs, backyard theft, car breakins, and more recently, daytime street crime...muggings. Publicly most of the latter are downplayed, but they do happen. Ok a wee bit off track here.

But shoplifting in this area has been an issue for more than just recent months and events. Walgreens and Kroger have been the prime targets, and this has escalated in recent times.

In the last year, I have seen armed security at even small stores, not just Walgreens and Kroger. 

Whether or not they are for more than show, I don't know. But I do know that based on appearence of some of these security persons; I'd fear them more than the shoplifters. Young, sloppy, on cell phones. Not good.

Ok, gone afar here. The young man at Walgreens, I think, went too far in his perception of his job duties. Unless it's a Pharmacy breakin, and even then it's questionable, he should have stayed inside. JMO

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2

Most retail outlets have stopped trying to prevent shoplifting/stealing and just have a policy for writing off X amount of money for taxes and make up part of or most of their loss for the year. I have seen on the news where Walmart has camera's at their doors and they film people taking 2 or 3 flat screen TV's out without paying for them and they don't do anything to stop them.

• Like 2