Hell On Wheels...the guns

hipower

Well, we just finished binging the Anson Mount saga of Hell on Wheels. I think this is the 4th time for me. The wife...???? Many I know. Says Anson has great eyes. She used to say that about me! Oh well, he is good-looking guy.

Anyway, this time around I was watching Cullen's pistols and his gun handling. I loved the rifles too, but those pistols were awesome.

Two really caught my eye this time around...the Colt 1860 Army, and the Remington 1858 New Army. The Remington especially intrigued me a bit more.  Why? Not sure, it just did.

Watching the gunfighting and the cyclinder swapping out for reloads got me to wondering about the idea of owning one. Just for S****&

Grins, of course. But wouldn't it be a blast on a range!

So what would be your opinion? Pros and Cons of buying one. Won't be real soon, but it has me thinking about it. I'd appreciate anything you might tell me about either one actually. Thanks.

Edited by hipower

Remingtons are lots of fun.  Very strong design.  Swapping cylinders needs to be approached with some caution.  Only use cylinders from the same manufacturer as your pistol.  Also, double check that lockup occurs when the chamber is perfectly aligned with the barrel.

Cleaning black powder can be a pain.  Using a dishwasher is the easiest way for pistols.  Just make sure you disassemble the gun, don't put any wood in the dishwasher, and run an extra cycle afterwards to ensure that your wife doesn't complain about the odor.  Otherwise, use lots of boiling water, scrub well, and oil lightly after drying.

I think during the Civil war, it wasn't uncommon for cavalry (especially Southern cavalry) to always carried multiple pistols and cylinders for reloading. But for the life of me, I can't imagine trying to swap out a cylinder while riding a horse.  I also can't imagine how caps stayed on the nipples of those extra cylinders even just walking or running around.

1 hour ago, seez52 said:

The Remingtons would't be too bad, those Colts, now that would be handful-- literally. 

Josey Wales does a hot swap in one of the scenes, and it's with a Remington.

I was thinking about that scene where Josie Wales was walking right at the guy he was having the shoot out with and doing a reload as he walked and shot the guy after reloading. I bet that scene had more than a couple takes to get it right and Clint probably did a lot of practicing to get it right!

• Like 1