NRAAM - anyone attending?

I went when it was in Nashville several years ago.  I didn’t attend any dinners or speeches and spent all my time wandering the main display floor, lusting after guns and gear.I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Not a big NRA fan anymore, despite having a life membership, but I’d go again if it was close.

10 minutes ago, Defender said:

I went when it was in Nashville several years ago.  I didn’t attend any dinners or speeches and spent all my time wandering the main display floor, lusting after guns and gear.I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Not a big NRA fan anymore, despite having a life membership, but I’d go again if it was close.

Hear you there. I paid the $35 or whatever it costs just for a 1 year specifically to get in the door. I figure I would spend that much at a movie, bowling, or whatever... So why not

7 hours ago, hipower said:

Wanted to go again this year, but couldn't walk that much now. Wheelchair? LOL! No. Never make it down an aisle.

Yeah not sure if they’re all like the Nashville one, but that one was packed!  I was on the floor all day snd itvwas sometimes pretty congested.

Defender, I've only attended 2 NRA Conventions...Louisville and Nashville. In both cases I found that chairs were virtually non-existant. In Louisville, there were a few in the entrance area, and several hundred I think, in the concessions area. Otherwise, it seems that chairs were removed from almost all the show areas. I guess to speed up the cattle flow thru the aisles.

In Nashville, it was worse. Very few chairs anywhere. Very small food area with chairs; but they were "policed" to make sure you were eating, not just sitting and resting.

In both shows, I walked the floor and the aisles multiple times. My feet were miserable. Old fat men with back/feet issues should think carefully before attending. Lounging around is really something I'd suggest when attending any convention, but especially those of the NRA. LOL.

Louisville was my first convention. Went with my late brother-in-law, Tad Stratton. We usually stayed close when going somewhere...but this time...no.

As we were going in, I asked him for a little patience with me being able to keep up with him. He promptly told me he had "people...old friends and business contacts" from FT. Campbell and several companies he was angling for a Rep position with. 

At this point I was own my own. It did allow me time to look and talk with anyone I chose for as long as I wanted. So it wasn't all bad. Except for when my wife found out. LOL! She was HOT! Seems Tad had been given instructions to "watch over me". I was just beginning to have mobility and balance issues. My wife really didn't like it.

We'd meet up at my car at the end of the day, or he'd go out with "friends and contacts" and be brought back to the hotel later. 

At the Nashville Convention, I went alone. LOL.

In hindsight, and even back then, I tried not to hold any animosity over it. As from his point of view, I was holding him back, just dead weight to be lugged around and introduced to his people.

23 minutes ago, hipower said:

Defender, I've only attended 2 NRA Conventions...Louisville and Nashville. In both cases I found that chairs were virtually non-existant. In Louisville, there were a few in the entrance area, and several hundred I think, in the concessions area. Otherwise, it seems that chairs were removed from almost all the show areas. I guess to speed up the cattle flow thru the aisles.

In Nashville, it was worse. Very few chairs anywhere. Very small food area with chairs; but they were "policed" to make sure you were eating, not just sitting and resting.

In both shows, I walked the floor and the aisles multiple times. My feet were miserable. Old fat men with back/feet issues should think carefully before attending. Lounging around is really something I'd suggest when attending any convention, but especially those of the NRA. LOL.

Louisville was my first convention. Went with my late brother-in-law, Tad Stratton. We usually stayed close when going somewhere...but this time...no.

As we were going in, I asked him for a little patience with me being able to keep up with him. He promptly told me he had "people...old friends and business contacts" from FT. Campbell and several companies he was angling for a Rep position with. 

At this point I was own my own. It did allow me time to look and talk with anyone I chose for as long as I wanted. So it wasn't all bad. Except for when my wife found out. LOL! She was HOT! Seems Tad had been given instructions to "watch over me". I was just beginning to have mobility and balance issues. My wife really didn't like it.

We'd meet up at my car at the end of the day, or he'd go out with "friends and contacts" and be brought back to the hotel later. 

At the Nashville Convention, I went alone. LOL.

In hindsight, and even back then, I tried not to hold any animosity over it. As from his point of view, I was holding him back, just dead weight to be lugged around and introduced to his people.

I feel ya!  I was supposed to go to the Nashville one with a good buddy of mine but he died a while before so I went alone.  Wasn’t near as fun as sharing the experience with a friend. My health  has also gotten worse since then, but I’d love to go again if it comes close again. I’d need to figure out a way to reg though, and I remember the chair situation, lol, you’re right.

1 hour ago, Defender said:

I feel ya!  I was supposed to go to the Nashville one with a good buddy of mine but he died a while before so I went alone.  Wasn’t near as fun as sharing the experience with a friend. My health  has also gotten worse since then, but I’d love to go again if it comes close again. I’d need to figure out a way to reg though, and I remember the chair situation, lol, you’re right.

LOL. So would I. My wife asked last month if I was going this year. She can be so cruel sometimes.

I'm a bit of a lone wolf, have been all my life. Regretting it more and more these days.

Perhaps when I get a few  things done...we can get together. Right now, got a major UTI...again. And a kidney stone that gives a few pains. Blessedly, it is captured in the folds of the kidney. It causes a bit of bleeding sometimes, but hasn't and can't move without something like a bad hit on the kidney. Doc says the only options are leave it alone or surgical removal of part or all of the kidney.

I voted to leave it alone.

3 hours ago, hipower said:

LOL. So would I. My wife asked last month if I was going this year. She can be so cruel sometimes.

I'm a bit of a lone wolf, have been all my life. Regretting it more and more these days.

Perhaps when I get a few  things done...we can get together. Right now, got a major UTI...again. And a kidney stone that gives a few pains. Blessedly, it is captured in the folds of the kidney. It causes a bit of bleeding sometimes, but hasn't and can't move without something like a bad hit on the kidney. Doc says the only options are leave it alone or surgical removal of part or all of the kidney.

I voted to leave it alone.

Sounds like a plan.  Kidney stones, yikes!

I was supposed to go to the one in Nashville in 20 with my cousin but that got canceled and my cousin died in 21 from Covid.. I wonder if they will ever schedule another in Nashville?, I highly doubt next years will be after the school shooting.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Hear you there. I paid the $35 or whatever it costs just for a 1 year specifically to get in the door. I figure I would spend that much at a movie, bowling, or whatever... So why not

I debated for years(decades really) over a Lifetime Membership. Finally during one of the promos, I bit at 250 for the Lifetime. No freebies then, so can't say I did it for the swag anyway.

After all I've said about times I did attend; I do remember Louisville the most. Trump and all the fanfare associated with him. I met a lot of nice people. Didn't win anything while there. Watched many that did. Very envious. Some nice prizes.

Entered the Knife Freedom contest. Being cheap and not working, I really sweated over that one!  $100 a ticket really was tough for me. But after about a year, I got a box with a very nice custom knife in it. Don't remember the maker at this time, but looked him up and found he was a well known person. I'll dig out the knife sometime and tell you who he was.

All being said, I do think the NRA has been a helpful organization. But like almost every group that has great intentions; they grow and get bloated from OPM. Wayne LaPierre was a good example. I truley think he started out as a good person trying to help America's gun owners and protecting our 2nd Ammendment Rights. But like many politicos, Wayne evidently was seduced by the power and the money he accumulated over the years. So leading to his downfall. And his Suit Collection didn't help either. LOL

I believe he has been the greatest factor in the weakening of the NRA. I sure hop it's not too late for the organization to fully recover. Though I fear it will not, but will continue to exist.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

This is my 4th time attending (Nashville, Louisville, Atlanta, Indy). Honestly... You guys didn't miss much.

A lot of missing cool vendors. The swag was almost non-existent. No booth babes as well (just an observation).

I just knew it! You went for the Honeys!! In my Louisville trip...there were some beautiful reps. And a lot of scruffy old codgers.

Seriously though, do you think this vendor slowdown was politically related? I don't think the Covid health issue played a big part in it. I had read a few things commenting on the attendance. That's why I ask.

Will it continue to downsize? In this climate... I won't speculate, but I do wonder. 

Edited by hipower
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, hipower said:

Seriously though, do you think this vendor slowdown was politically related?

I'll be honest, I have no clue. Initially I want to say that vendors took a stand against the NRA. Realistically though...they stand to make money and advertising time...so I dunno.

The pandemic may have put a lot of them out of business. Or maybe import bans? Dunno.

By the way, I saw lots of wheelchairs and hover rounds. They actually had a lot of space at the event.

24 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I'll be honest, I have no clue. Initially I want to say that vendors took a stand against the NRA. Realistically though...they stand to make money and advertising time...so I dunno.

The pandemic may have put a lot of them out of business. Or maybe import bans? Dunno.

By the way, I saw lots of wheelchairs and hover rounds. They actually had a lot of space at the event.

I  must admit to surprise on the mobility chairs. The 2 I attended...Louisville/Nashville, were so crowded it was impossible to do more than a virtual cattle shute walk almost every where expect outside and the edges of the crowd. But times and conditions have changed I guess. More old codgers like me who need assistance now. 

As far as the closing of businesses, I'm unhappy about that, but really not surprised. The liberals, the extremeists, and the Sleepy Joe edicts have put a hurt on many, not just in the firearms and accessory lines. I agree, the current import bans, and those projected to come, may have influenced many previous attendees.

The above paragraph being said, can you begin to fathom the destruction in the bussiness world,  and the  jobs loss if Joe and Soros and Chinese all get their way? I think hundreds of businesses and hundreds of thousands of jobs would be lost!

I've given a great deal of thought to this scenerio playing out, and it truly frightens me. The number of individuals and business entities that would be lost is enormous! It might not be as large and extreme as losing all the automtive industry; but sure would be felt!  Sorry, getting pessimistic as I age. And it's getting worse the older I get. You youngsters just haven't gotten there yet. I hope you don't. Or have to be this way.

Thanks for your comments to me on the Convention. I enjoyed hearing from you.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BigK said:

We went by the Wolf ammo booth while we were there. The rep told us they have about 1 year worth of ammo left inside the U.S. borders then they are are out. 

adding onto that one. they said they will find another country to produce ammo, but it won't be domestic and it won't be cheap steel. meaning, brass only.

Edited by NoBanStan
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I have too much going on right now, so I skipped it this year.  They seem to swing these shows between Indianapolis and Dallas, so I might hit it next year.

We feel cheated, because they skipped Nashville due to COVID. LOL

I hope we make it back into the rotation some time soon.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I'm no longer a member and not going to join just the go to a show....JMHO

I both understand and respect your feelings about the NRA. They got my money for a lifetime membership before they went off the rails. However, they are still the enemy of my enemy and that makes them my friend. For all that's wrong with them they do us more good than harm.

• Like 1