Smart Gun for Dummies

gun sane

1 hour ago, gun sane said:

Reads fingerprints and scans face before you get down to business. 

The good news:  Perps can't wear gloves or a mask to hide their ID.

The bad news:  Battery must have enough juice for duration of combat.

Fingerprint-activated 9mm handgun coming to market | Fox News

Perhaps it is a laudable idea. But for now, the only places that guns like this work are in the movies or in books. Mostly SyFy at that.

I think we'd see a rash of fingers and hands removed to get prints and rings that make it function. Maybe hackers getting proficient in blocking the signals to the gun. Disable it and you got a club again.

Much needs to be overcome before I would trust my life to such a weapon.

• Like 1

All hail the wisdom of Grayfox54!  I can’t help but think of every bit of tech that I use that is biometric integrated that when I actually use it outside of perfect household like conditions (hiking, in the rain, sweaty/dirty hands, etc) — it all just fails & I have to stop what I’m doing to feed it my time and often great lengths to achieve function.  Can anyone tell me how that tech can safely translate in a personal survival or self-defense situation?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

All hail the wisdom of Grayfox54!  I can’t help but think of every bit of tech that I use that is biometric integrated that when I actually use it outside of perfect household like conditions (hiking, in the rain, sweaty/dirty hands, etc) — it all just fails & I have to stop what I’m doing to feed it my time and often great lengths to achieve function.  Can anyone tell me how that tech can safely translate in a personal survival or self-defense situation?

Let's wait until a model for LEO use is built and succeeds in the real world. then I might buy one.

1 hour ago, 1gewehr said:

About as smart as putting combination locks on fire extinguishers.

I love this analogy!

Everyone pushing 'smart gun' technology lives in a fantasy land; they always want to look at things from the happy path. Real life happens and anything I need in a life or death situation needs to be reliable. 

4 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

About as smart as putting combination locks on fire extinguishers.

Liked this about a million times. Also like putting a lock on a firearm, keep it safe from someone that does not need to get at the firearm, but when you need that very firearm, tell the bad guy to wait, see how far that gets you.

Keep you firearms safe by keeping them from others, hidden!

This smart gun is for a specific use case. It's not intended to be a primary weapon.  It's to keep a firearm readily available (like on your nightstand) when you are concerned someone else may have access to it... such as kids. Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapon did a good video of it:

On 4/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, gun sane said:

Reads fingerprints and scans face before you get down to business. 

The good news:  Perps can't wear gloves or a mask to hide their ID.

The bad news:  Battery must have enough juice for duration of combat.

Fingerprint-activated 9mm handgun coming to market | Fox News

If it's anything like my cell phone with the screen protector I'd have to tell the bad guy to wait while I re- register my info. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The whole idea is bs other than to keep your loved ones from playing with it.

Bad guys have plenty access to just about any gun. Why would they try to steal these? 
It would take decades to remove illegal or legal guns from the planet. They will continue to get illegal / regular guns and NOT steal these.

Ridiculous.

Now if you cold make one like our beloved Dredd, with all the bells and whistles, that's a different story. lol

On 4/15/2023 at 8:15 PM, hipower said:

Let's wait until a model for LEO use is built and succeeds in the real world. then I might buy one.

What LEO in their right mind would sign up to be a test dummy for that program? LOL right? Let's let the gang bangers, thugs, and other crooks test them first and have it communicate GPS data to the cops. LOL

• Like 1

In a personal defense situation, daily carry, will it function?  How fast can it read your prints when being drawn rapidly to stop a threat?  What if you grip is off due to a panic situation of physical fight?  How about sweat or debris on your hands?  Gloves in winter?

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t imagine why anyone would ever want to buy this. What problem is it solving? We debate whether to carry a pistol with a round chambered because of the lost time to rack a slide in a critical situation, but you want me to wash my hands and hold the gun up to my face with proper lightning? My phone has enough trouble with Apple pouring insane resources into this, no way a gun company can pull it off anytime soon. Also a hackable electronic gun registry. Just don’t see any value in it. 

3 hours ago, MuchThoughts said:

but you want me to wash my hands and hold the gun up to my face with proper lightning?

It really bugs me when people make up justifications why some new tech is useless when they haven't even looked into it at all.  Just for clarification, I have no need or desire to own a smart gun.  But I can see use cases for it.

First off, it does not require fingerprints AND a face scan.  If the fingerprint doesn't work for some reason, the camera is a secondary backup method of authentication.

Unless you have enough muck to hide your fingerprints, the fingerprint scanner shouldn't be a problem.  The camera is also a near-IR with an IR flash strobe, so lighting won't be an issue.  It will even work in pitch dark.

It also uses time of flight lasers to know if the gun has left your hand and needs to re-authenticate. 

Who is it for?  Imagine (with the way things are going) you want your first firearm.  But you've got children in the house and the wife is absolutely against it.  But then you show her a pistol that by design the kids cannot operate.  And even if a 3rd party gets their hands on it, it can't be used against you and the family (except possibly to pistol whip). 

So in my mind, this is a firearm for those who consider safety paramount and otherwise might not own a firearm at all.  Any tech (if it's reliable) that gets firearms into the hands or more people that need them is a good thing to me.

I can also see this in use in prisons or police where a firearm could be lost to an attacker.