Cig Tax

Guest clownsdd

Guest clownsdd

Just saw where in New York, cigs are @ $10.00 a pack.

Just a question, where in the world is the government going to get the taxes to replace the cig taxes when people quit smoking?

I quit the first of the year after 35 yrs of smoking.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw where in New York, cigs are @ $10.00 a pack.

Just a question, where in the world is the government going to get the taxes to replace the cig taxes when people quit smoking?

I quit the first of the year after 35 yrs of smoking.

I've heard more and more people are buying smokes off the Indian Reservations these days. I've heard prices quoted at $10-15 per carton, due to the lack of tax.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Heard about the new tax on the news last night. I don't do cigarettes, but I do enjoy a good cigar from time to time. Good to know that each stogie will now cost me an additional $.40, or an extra $8 for a box of 20.

*sigh*

Guest eyebedam

Sad thing is stores inflated there prices last month instead of waiting till yesterday. I guess since gas prices have dropped they figured they might as well get it while they can.

Guest eyebedam
Yeah.. they raised the prices in anticipation of the loss in sales due to the new tax.

Good then it's just as much there fault as it is the goverments for pricing them to the point of quitting again for a 2nd time. This time is for good. I had quit for about 5 years & honestly don't know why I ever started back.

Whos bought some since the increase?

I wondering how much MarLboro lights have gone to? They were just under 5.00 a pack before the latest increase.

I started a job in the cig business in '01 selling the cheap brands. I was selling cartons (and a bunch of them) for $7.49 ea. These were the brands that people that could not afford Marlboro and Winston would buy. Guys were walking into stores and asking for the cheapest pack rather than asking for specific brands. They didn't care what brand it was as long as it was cheap and it would burn.

I talked with an old customer this morning and that same brand is now selling for $26.99. WOW!

If you get caught buying cigarettes from out of state without the TN tax stamp there are huge fines. Be very careful.

Quiting would be much smarter.

Anybody else see the tax hike on cig's just them testing the water to other taxes...like ammo?

I don't see it as testing the water. Cig taxes are a cash cow for state and Fed. cofers. They have been sticking it to cig smokers for years and most people think it's a great place for taxes since the majority don't smoke or use tobacco. I know that you've heard the term "Sin Tax".

I'm positive that ammo taxes are already in their sites. When they are proposed the public will say that it's a great idea because it won't have any effect on them. Little do they know!

The tax on ammo will not be expected to generate the cash that cigarettes do. It will be placed on ammo to make shooting too expensive for the average shooter to afford.

Guest Dean_JC78

I do not smoke but the Cig nax bothers me a lot. It is a slippery slope. What is next? Trans fat? Dessert items? Softdrinks? Bullets? Guns...

What is that old saying from Nazi Germany? First they came for the disabled, then the blacks, then the jews, then they came for me and there was nobody left to speak up.

The tax is an assault on all of us as free citizens.

Absolutely the tax on other products will go up; and so will your property taxes.

The government needs “X†amount of tax dollars. That number will never go down it will only go up. However…. Companies and jobs are leaving the country. So who is going to pick up the slack? Whoever is left working and home owners.

Those of us that still have jobs are going to be expected to financially support an out of control president and everyone that has lost their job.

Guest nj.piney

i smoke more red cigaretts , the price per carton was $42 per carton before the tax increase . with the $6.20 cent increase the price is now $62 per carton . where is the rest of the money going?

But if everyone quits smoking, a lot of them are going to live longer. This will cause a huge problem with Medicare/Medicaid due to people needing care for a longer time period! Maybe have to start a healthy living tax! :rolleyes:

Guest jackdog

It is an illegal tax, plain and simple. There will be many more to follow This one does not effect me but the next one might. I would offer more thoughts and possible solutions but the tin foil police will be along shortly if i do.:rolleyes: