Anybody in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge/Sevierville area?

Would traffic be as oppressively heavy through there this week during midweek as it usually is in the summer?

I’d like to go see the motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley. I wouldn’t be opposed to riding through the park, but if the highway is a parking lot like I’ve been accustomed to, I’ll find a way around. Since it’s early and school isn’t out, I was hoping it would be a little less crowded.

Edited by gregintenn
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Would traffic be as oppressively heavy through there this week during midweek as it usually is in the summer?

I’d like to go see the motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley. I wouldn’t be opposed to riding through the park, but if the highway is a parking lot like I’ve been accustomed to, I’ll find a way around. Since it’s early and school isn’t out, I was hoping it would be a little less crowded.

You'd be coming through post spring rod run so it may not be so bad in the park. Be aware though the "spur" ,the road between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, is down to 1 lane due to repairs and improvements to the tunnels so prepare for that.

And if you plan on stopping anywhere in the park more than 15 minutes you'll need to purchase a parking permit which costs you $5 I think

• Like 1

If your plan is that you are staying in Pigeon Forge, I would recommend traveling Dollywood Ln that runs into Upper Middle Creek Road (by the Golf course), stay on Upper Middle Creek road until the end, turn right onto Birds Creek road, stay on Birds Creek road it will eventually bring you to a 3 way stop, stay left/straight on Buckhorn road which brings you to 321 East of Gatlinburg, turn left on 321 follow signs to Interstate 40.  This route should avoid all traffic, even in the Summer, and from Pigeon Forge you are < 1 hour drive.  The roads are all paved, and well kept.

Sounds like a lot, but its not.  Spent my first 32 years living in Sevierville.  Both my mother and father were originally from there.  Still have lots of family there.  When I camp at Greenbrier Island in Pittman Center (east of Gatlinburg), I take 40 to exit 440.  It takes you to 321 and to Gatlinburg, never traffic and its a 2 lane highway on the busiest of holidays.  321 dumps you out in downtown Gatlinburg.  I think from 40 to Gatlinburg is 25 minutes, just watch your speed, Pittman Center is a very small town but has ticket happy police.  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, peejman said:

Wheels through Time is worth the trip. 

Traffic shouldn't be horrible mid-week provided you miss the usual busy times. 

Glad I looked! Damn thing is closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I think we’ll head to Sweetwater and check out the Lost Sea. Never saw it before. We’ll figure out what’s next then. I’m open to suggestions.😀

The Lost Sea is pretty cool.   My brother and I went there years ago and I actually paid for the goofy tourist picture they take of the group, lol.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Fort Loudon is pretty cool if you like history.

https://fortloudoun.com/

Just 4 minutes past that is the Sequoyah Birthplace museum which I have not been to yet. 

Close to the Cherohala Skyway and The Dragon. That entire part of the state is scenic. That's typically where we go camping.

Now you’re talking! I’ve never been to Ft. Louden. We’ll check that out. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You guys who live in East Tennessee probably already know, but the Countryside restaurant in Vonore is both excellent and modestly priced.

Vonore?  Did you ride over to Benton’s to load up on bacon and ham while in the area?

• Haha 1

Ha Ha    not. Mennonite    people bing RVs and horses to Indian boundary a campground and lake right before the skyway and ride and go visit other areas  The town of tellico plains have a old time wagon trail ride from tellico to Robbinsville NC. With mules and horses.  we have some Mennonite but they stay in valley and have a big farm and sell vegetables and fruits    Great trout fishing up there and kayaking. 

Edited by Sleep profit
44 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Ha Ha    not. Mennonite    people bing RVs and horses to Indian boundary a campground and lake right before the skyway and ride and go visit other areas  we have some Mennonite but they stay in valley and have a big farm and sell vegetables and fruits 

Na. These were horse and buggy Mennonites. 

The furniture thing makes sense. Hadn’t thought of that.

Heck, I didn’t even know Mexican hot wings were a thing! #nevertoooldtolearn.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You guys who live in East Tennessee probably already know, but the Countryside restaurant in Vonore is both excellent and modestly priced.

I live within 5 minutes of this place, its good, but not in my top 5 in this area.  The Lampost, Cielito Lindo, Berts, The Patio, Donnas,  The Beach in Tellico Plains, and Greenback Corner Market are some of my favorites.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, runco said:

I live within 5 minutes of this place, its good, but not in my top 5 in this area.  The Lampost, Cielito Lindo, Berts, The Patio, Donnas,  The Beach in Tellico Plains, and Greenback Corner Market are some of my favorites.

All great options I am eating breakfast at Lamppost tomorrow then over to Volunteer.  Firearm’s. Got a new to me Walther PPQ at the Athens gun show last weekend. Can’t wait to get to range 

• Like 1
On 4/17/2023 at 7:44 PM, Erik88 said:

Fort Loudon is pretty cool if you like history.

https://fortloudoun.com/

Just 4 minutes past that is the Sequoyah Birthplace museum which I have not been to yet. 

Close to the Cherohala Skyway and The Dragon. That entire part of the state is scenic. That's typically where we go camping.

Very cool! Many thanks for the suggestion, Erik!

A lady at the info center in Sweetwater told us about a place right off I-40 near Monterey called Bee Rock. I'd never heard of it. It was pretty cool. Nothing to do there entertaining, but a beautiful view. If you're ever coming through there and can spare about 30 minutes, check it out!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1