Mental health

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

Mental distress and illness is not a political matter.  It affects people regardless of ideology.

I would hope that those professionals who have to deal with it on a daily basis are not subject to inane beliefs or subscribe to the leanings of the day.

Garufa, you are correct.  I have about 55 minutes with a client once a week.  The first session is an intake session in which I have to take an extensive history.  The next week's second session is where we determine what the client wants to accomplish in therapy and a treatment plan is created.  Moving forward with the client, depending on their need, we will meet weekly or bi-weekly for that 50-55 minute session that focuses on whatever issue, concern, worry, etc. that the client brings with them when they walk in the door based on their treatment plan.  

By the time I join a client in their anxiety, fear, depression, confusion, joy, etc., and help them reach some sense of assisting with their struggles, the "treatment hour" is over.  Secondly, well trained therapists allow the client to set the agenda for the discussion.  I can honestly say that I have never walked into a session with an agenda about any issue that "I think the client needs to hear."  Google "client centered therapy" for more information.

A competent therapist never "indoctrinates", tells you what to do or think, or has a predetermined agenda.  A long time client thanked me for my efforts and keeping the focus on his issues.  He stated, "You have always helped me with 'my stuff' and been there for me."  That's my goal in helping someone.  If the correct focus is on the client there is no time for the therapist to push "their stuff."

• Like 1
On 4/19/2023 at 8:18 AM, gregintenn said:

Most certainly. Who’s going to go see a psychiatrist if it means having their home raided and personal property confiscated?

Not to mention that most of your psychiatrist are college indoctrinated and anti-gun... Its not a far stretch to think many would abuse their power to push their political Agenda.  Yes i could be wrong.... No easy path... But Any tool we give the Gov to limit our freedoms.. They will certainly abuse it .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, DUKETN said:

Not to mention that most of your psychiatrist are college indoctrinated and anti-gun... Its not a far stretch to think many would abuse their power to push their political Agenda.  Yes i could be wrong.... No easy path... But Any tool we give the Gov to limit our freedoms.. They will certainly abuse it .

These are the concerns I was voicing. If most of your mental health field types are perceived as being educated in a strong liberal, progressive environment, I don't see how the fundamentals of that education couldn't carry over into practice. Again, it's perception, but you know what that equates to... I'm glad, Luckyforward, that you see things differently.

1 hour ago, Luckyforward said:

Garufa, you are correct.  I have about 55 minutes with a client once a week.  The first session is an intake session in which I have to take an extensive history.  The next week's second session is where we determine what the client wants to accomplish in therapy and a treatment plan is created.  Moving forward with the client, depending on their need, we will meet weekly or bi-weekly for that 50-55 minute session that focuses on whatever issue, concern, worry, etc. that the client brings with them when they walk in the door based on their treatment plan.  

By the time I join a client in their anxiety, fear, depression, confusion, joy, etc., and help them reach some sense of assisting with their struggles, the "treatment hour" is over.  Secondly, well trained therapists allow the client to set the agenda for the discussion.  I can honestly say that I have never walked into a session with an agenda about any issue that "I think the client needs to hear."  Google "client centered therapy" for more information.

A competent therapist never "indoctrinates", tells you what to do or think, or has a predetermined agenda.  A long time client thanked me for my efforts and keeping the focus on his issues.  He stated, "You have always helped me with 'my stuff' and been there for me."  That's my goal in helping someone.  If the correct focus is on the client there is no time for the therapist to push "their stuff."

Sir, 

I’ve never met you, but judging solely from your posts, I believe you are a good man. Judging from personal experiences, I also believe you are a unicorn in the healthcare industry.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Sir, 

I’ve never met you, but judging solely from your posts, I believe you are a good man. Judging from personal experiences, I also believe you are a unicorn in the healthcare industry.

I am sincerely humbled by your comments . . .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Luckyforward said:

I am sincerely humbled by your comments . . .

Don’t be. I just call balls and strikes. You’ll have to admit, among your colleagues, financial gain is often more important than patient well being. 

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Don’t be. I just call balls and strikes. You’ll have to admit, among your colleagues, financial gain is often more important than patient well being. 

You are correct; there are therapists out there whose marketing and clinical practices is based on the buck.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

You are correct; there are therapists out there whose marketing and clinical practices is based on the buck.

Medical doctors and surgeons as well. I know there are good ones, but I'm not sure how to decipher which one is which.

31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Medical doctors and surgeons as well. I know there are good ones, but I'm not sure how to decipher which one is which.

My Dr (before he retired) used to ask what I was carrying so he could appropriately 'adjust' what the scales reported in my records. We spent significant time talking guns and hunting on every office visit. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bubbadavis said:

My Dr (before he retired) used to ask what I was carrying so he could appropriately 'adjust' what the scales reported in my records. We spent significant time talking guns and hunting on every office visit. 

My Dr. has the personality of a tree stump and wants to see how many pills he can prescribe. I'd swap, but I have no idea who else would be better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My Dr. has the personality of a tree stump and wants to see how many pills he can prescribe. I'd swap, but I have no idea who else would be better.

Mine is pretty good in most ways.  She's young and up to date on modern stuff, and seems to know a lot for a younger person.  Great personality and spends enough time with me usually, but I still have to write down topics/issues I want to address as she's busy enough that when she's done she's done and leaves the room.  She also like to prescribe meds maybe a little more than I like.  I'm wanting to retire soon, so i want to start getting OFF some meds, not get on more.  Even with insurance, some of then get expensive with higher co-pays. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

To be fair, most professions are like this. Everyone is trying to make as much money as possible with the least amount of work. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

To be fair, most professions are like this. Everyone is trying to make as much money as possible with the least amount of work. 

Most professions aren’t directly screwing with your health and well being.

I've been lucky with my docs; all very conversive and dialogical.  I have a psychiatrist friend that is a great doc and he and I compare carry firearms when we meet.

And over the years I've had a few patients who felt I was their problem and presented a clear threat.   MNPD was helpful when I reported the threat.  They asked me if I had a HCP and carried and I told them I did and they encouraged me to stay safe.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, gregintenn said:

Most professions aren’t directly screwing with your health and well being.

git, I'm with you. My initial distrust with anybody that can seriously impact my existence/survival is strong anymore. I remember once, before Obamacare, when American doctors weren't so jammed full of seeing everybody (no matter what), they didn't seem so rushed. It "seemed" like some of them were still in it to help people. I believe it is a combination of circumstances that doctors ARE way more busy, and can't spend time or as much thought in providing care, and frankly, the world IS changing in all directions, and being somewhat more paranoid is simply being sensible...