Hummingbirds??

My grandson and I setup 2 feeders yesterday. They were cheapos from Walmart, but look identical to the ones I saw a lady using on a YT video. Looked like she had hundreds of hummingbirds in her back yard.

6 hours ago, BigK said:

My grandson and I setup 2 feeders yesterday. They were cheapos from Walmart, but look identical to the ones I saw a lady using on a YT video. Looked like she had hundreds of hummingbirds in her back yard.

Be patient. It can take a few weeks for the birds to find them and start using them. It's also breeding season so they're eating more bugs than nectar, they need the protein for their young. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, BigK said:

How often do you empty/wash yours if the nectar doesn't get eaten?

Once it gets hot and the birds are feeding hard every 3-5 days. Until then once every 8-10 days. I don't use the store bought Nectar. I just use Sugar water as the birds seem to prefer it over the Nectar. 2 cups of sugar to 1 gallon of water. Boil about 1/2 gallon of water and pour in all the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved and add it to the other 1/2 gallon and shake. I make mine a day in advance and refrigerate it over night.

• Like 1

I make it the day of, just use hot water and 4 Tbsp of sugar per cup (8 oz). Each  feeder, I just have two, takes a cup, it can probably hold more but this way it stays fresh since I have to change it out more often.  I think I will place two more at the front of the house, where they will see them sooner, and maybe get more birds since one can't possibly defend all four.

I have 2 males here in Lascassas, Middle TN. I put up 2 feeders, one in front and one in back of my house. The birds still fight over the feeders. Not seen any females yet. I guess these are scouts. Last year we had 8 pairs. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

How close to each other should you place feeders?

A few feet if you want to watch them fight over the feeders.  I have 2 about 6 feet apart in the back and 1 by itself in the front. 

Nectar is 4:1 water to sugar by volume. The water only has to be warm enough to make the sugar dissolve.  Once temps are in the mid 80s, it only lasts 3-5 days before going rancid. Highly recommend some sort of ant moat to keep them out. 

Edited by peejman
Extra stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got at least two, seen one chasing the other from the feeders.  The last one I seen on the feeder had a bunch of black on it's back, not sure it was a ruby-throated one or not, which is the ones I've seen the most of.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:02 AM, BigK said:

Don't worry about how much they cost or where you got them.. As long as they have Nectar or Sugar Water in them the birds won't care about the feeder price.....lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I am becoming a little concerned as I had 7 birds for about a week and they were constantly coming and going to the feeders. All at once I'm down to 3 regulars including the Black one but lost 4 and not gaining any new birds. Is anyone else gaining any new birds. Post how many your seeing please!

Same for me in Bellevue (west side of Nashville). The few we've had are transients on their way to somewhere else. I'll see one or two for a day or two, then they're gone. A few days later I'll see a different one, then it's gone too. My resident birds never show up before June. I'm only keeping 1 feeder out right now. That and my dozen flower pots are enough to keep the transients going and to attract the residents when they arrive. Then I'll put out a 2nd or 3rd feeder.

• Like 1